SUBTERFUGE (Finished)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: SUBTERFUGE

ok not done yet, a bit of fine tuning yet to do, but I rode it down to the corner and it rode fine. the only real problem is the size thing. this thing is about the same size as a 20" BMX bike. notice the head light isn't green any more? I also put a little time into solving the fork clearance issue with good results. hope you guys like it. let me know what you think.
img_1385.jpg

thanks for all the comments! some of the ideas are great but I think we're getting too close for me to try to get any new parts and have them here in time, besides I always try to build my build off bikes out of stuff laying around. have you ever done something without knowing it? I just realized today that my fork is assembled incorrectly! I'm not kidding, It didn't register that the flip flop thingies are supposed to trail the fork and the chrome truss is supposed to cross the fork. the way it is kicks the wheel out and looks cooler but is backwards. I probably shouldn't have said anything but it made me laugh when I realized it. today I was looking at handle bar options, I'm not sure about the tall "ape hangers" maybe something else would look better. here are my options (believe it or not, I have all these just laying around not attached to any other projects) :mrgreen:
img_1391.jpg

see, I thought I had a photo of the fork from before I took it apart!
P1010644.jpg

I like the apes, gives it some more character. Any of those bars would be fine, but they would just be bars, nothing special.

And the fork looks great "backwards". If it's safe, I'd leave it as is.

I've said it somewhere else before. 'Your version' of the fork looks way more natural and to me, the original set up looks wrong and dangerous... Your set up is a great and easy way to get that important hotrod stance we all love. I see nothing wrong with the apes you've installed. But mocking up all the other bars just to see what fits the bike best seems like a good idea.

Personally i think you have too many cool chainguards and should send some my way. I can help you redistribute them. Seriously though. I dig 'em.

Looks outstanding. The apes really set that fork off with some attitude.

The photo is great right in the middle of street.

I got a box today!!
img_1398.jpg

guess what was in it...a beautifully beat to pieces Wrights seat! no it's true, see...
img_1399.jpg

Ok, this is the alternate look, which do you like better?
img_1401.jpg

just in case you were wondering there's not much room but it does clear.
img_1402.jpg

the new seat:
img_1403.jpg

yes the light works.
img_1404.jpg

I still don't get the whole back tilted seat business :? , although this WOULD be cool to fly through some down hill curves on. I'm 50 :| 50 on the bars, since proper fit is clearly low(chopped and channeled, even)priority on this build.(Low bar for that downhill, high bar for hangin')

I'll try flattening out the seat. I didn't really try to lean it back, it's mostly a matter of logistics. with the seat so low it gets closer to the frame the more you level it out. I'll level it out and take a photo and post it tomorrow. I agree on the bars thing also, I like both but for different reasons. I'm tending toward the low bars as I feel the higher bars look funny sticking up from such a sparse looking bike. if it had a banana seat or tank, it may look better, it just looks top heavy to me with the apes.
more opinions? I really appreciate it! :D

if you run the new seat youd be better off with an L post flipped(long side out and short side lengthened and in the seatpost tube) with some braces bolted to the springs and then welded to the rear stays..........(just my useless $.01)
either way though id run an L post since you said it was small

I'll have to do some work somewhere to use an "L" seat post since I cut the top of the seat tube. I'll either have to split the frame and add a seat clamp under the top bar, or add the "L" part to the current post with the bolt and wedge.

easy fix(thats why i said extend the short part of an L :wink: )
to get it to fit the seatpost tube just use a standard schwinn seat post weld it to the L and then run a self tapping screw through the schwinn seatpost(where its welded but hollow)

I guess I could do that too :oops: I guess I've already killed any collectability this frame might have had when I cut the seat tube :shock: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back