Suicide brake levers....does anyone still use them?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've been futzing with a 76 Schwinn Conti and I'm just not comfotable with the aero brakes I installed. I may go back to the original suicide brake levers. I'm not a fan of the speghetti look of the cables but it is original to the bike. I don't race (why race on a 42 lb bike) I ride mostly in the city so should I just ignore all the bad stuff said about them by Sheldon and on the other bike forums and re install the old brakes? ? And yes, I plan on riding on the top of the bars.
Cross brakes COULD be an option but the may not fit on my bars. They come in 26mm and 31mm (I think) and my bars are in between those sizes.
Do any of you folks still use suicide levers on your vintage roadys?

I put them back on....even if they are dangerous, I'm riding a continental...there is enough steel on that sucker to keep me safe

are you talking about the old road double levers ? just wondering because "suicide" makes me think of a brake mounted off the bars like on the toptube or seat post where you would have to take your hands off the bars to use. I do remember the old style road brake levers though with the dual positions though. Didnt know they were dangerous, just that they didnt work as well. I know they sell dual inline brake levers for drop bars though but its 2 seperate levers for each side.

Yes, I'm talking about "safety levers" or better known as suicide levers. I can't find anything good about them on the interwebs. But then again every answer I get is the same quote from Sheldon Brown. I think I'll keep them for now. I'm not racing and I don't feel like installing interupters or "Cross Brakes" although they may do the same thing and more advanced, like most modern cycling gear, it's as ugly as homemade shoes.

Hey man, Ive ridden these so called "suicide brake levers" on most of my Schwinns and they never failed me, and like you said your not racing you just want to stop when your riding the top of the drops right? So what others think and do what works for you brother! :wink:

Shimano made a set of "suicide" levers that actually work. They moved the pivot point for the secondary lever off the same pivot as the main lever. It increases the mechanical advantage so the more you squeeze, you get extra stopping power with the extra levers. They aren't common for sure. And they look a little different from the dia compe/weinman/schwinn approved models that earned the bad rep.

Latest posts

Back