Super Spyder XL

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
If you've seen my work you may know that I enjoy making larger 26" clones based on 20" muscle bikes. The bike pictured is a 20" 5-speed Spyder I picked up years ago, then eventually sold to a guy who absolutely loves it. So do I. But... I can't ride it. So... why not make one to ride?

My goal: Make a 26" bike look as close to this as I possibly can.

n1ns.jpg

First dilemma. I was lucky enough to get... what I thought was a... very nice condition Shimano 333 rear derailleur. I’ve discovered that the cable clamp has broken off almost cleanly at the threads. You can see where the hole was that the cable passed through. So the question:

what can I do to secure a cable?

2818C463-4552-4A42-AE25-C1192B5EE847.jpeg

6844D0C4-AAEB-4F09-8927-C43C26D8474A.jpeg

what can I do to secure a cable?

That's a bit of a head scratcher there CRASH. Do you have another derailleur you could take that part off of? I assume it's spun riveted at the other end like the rest of those posts?

You might be able to carefully remove just enough material from the donor part to remove it then put it in the derailleur and stake it with a punch to secure it. Bit of a long shot but might work.

I personally would refer to ebay and find a loverdley Campagnolo chorus or a centaur for $10 plus envelope and stamp. Just not gonna lie. Then I would put that one on a pedal crab or something
Screenshot_20201002-160212~2.png

because it is toast. In lay term, "beware of the free frame" or whatevr

Last edited:
You could base your build on a Flightliner frame, Spaceliner frame or Western Flyer/Murray cruiser frame, depending on which particular Spyder you are trying to resemble.
-Good thing you are not trying to build a 26" version of a Sears Screamer. You would have to fab that frame.

You could base your build on a Flightliner frame, Spaceliner frame or Western Flyer/Murray cruiser frame, depending on which particular Spyder you are trying to resemble.
-Good thing you are not trying to build a 26" version of a Sears Screamer. You would have to fab that frame.
I have the frame already. I’m waiting on parts to start the build. Almost have all of them.

That's a bit of a head scratcher there CRASH. Do you have another derailleur you could take that part off of? I assume it's spun riveted at the other end like the rest of those posts?

You might be able to carefully remove just enough material from the donor part to remove it then put it in the derailleur and stake it with a punch to secure it. Bit of a long shot but might work.
I don’t have a donor. 333’s are pretty rare.

I had a though of finding something cheap and derelict, and concocting a fix. That’s still an option, but I wanted to explore keeping this oneas “correct” as I could. I’m a stickler for correctness usually.

I don’t have a donor. 333’s are pretty rare.

I had a though of finding something cheap and derelict, and concocting a fix. That’s still an option, but I wanted to explore keeping this oneas “correct” as I could. I’m a stickler for correctness usually.
I made a hobby of doing that. I am just saying sometimes the return does not afford the effort. My "I can totally fix this I swear corral" for emphasis
IMG_20201002_190903.jpg

In my defense the Harley is ready to go. If I had acreage this would be mind blowing

I like Dominicus' suggestion, but I'm afraid it might be easier said than done. Still, I believe it to be the strategy with the best prospect for a good outcome. Cannibalizing a second donor for its pin would likely result in two broken derailleurs.

I don't think Sandman quite understands the issue--it isn't a bolt that needs extracting.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back