Super Spyder XL

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could try getting Dorman part # 03336 brass barrel clamps and tapping one all the way through. Flatten, drill, tap the derailleur for a stud and then red Locktite it all together. Fiddly work to be certain.

9110053_rnb_03336_pri_larg.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, that’s what I’m planning on doing. But not a stud. I was going to use a bolt so I can install it with some torque, then cut the head off and clean up the cut.

what would be a better product to lock that bolt in? JB weld? Lock tite? (Which color?) or something else?

Yes, that’s what I’m planning on doing. But not a stud. I was going to use a bolt so I can install it with some torque, then cut the head off and clean up the cut.

what would be a better product to lock that bolt in? JB weld? Lock tite? (Which color?) or something else?
That would still amount to a stud :). Secure it with red or blue Locktite; red being the stronger of the two as in never getting it back out. Being soft metal, install it snug (so the threads don't pull) and let the Locktite do the rest.

I’m in parts acquiring mode, so nothing to really do till they get here. Frame is going to the sandblaster tomorrow. Today the front tire came in. I ordered a black tire with a red stripe, and they sent me...

B3438306-A40B-4689-81CB-986B302AAF3A.jpeg

Ugh. Obviously I’ll need that corrected. Anyway... this will be a wait till this build gets going.

I got the frame back from sand blasting today. When I bought the frame from @Rat Pilot it cane with a piece welded to the seat tube. I’m assuming it was to mount a rack.

2975016C-D0DE-4CC0-9B82-58DCFFE2D6B6.jpeg

F67497AF-F487-42A4-8C59-7EFF17C4D163.jpeg

some grinding and filing later, it’s gone.

F38C9C3B-FD66-4310-ABDF-8C176EC226AD.jpeg

There was also a hole to mount the chain guard. But the chain guard I have doesn’t need a hole. So I forced in an oversized screw along with some loc-tite, cut off the head, and it’ll look like it was never there.

B2C24490-AA4E-467F-9F24-FF6ABA934947.jpeg

352A0F31-FBC0-4495-8A08-7019B5FB2B73.jpeg

FE1A8F20-6E50-43FE-B9D7-BFA285E44851.jpeg

Now I’m messing with a special funky hub that I need to get apart so I can take measurements and order spokes to build the wheels.

I got the frame back from sand blasting today. When I bought the frame from @Rat Pilot it cane with a piece welded to the seat tube. I’m assuming it was to mount a rack.

View attachment 141760
View attachment 141761

some grinding and filing later, it’s gone.

View attachment 141762

There was also a hole to mount the chain guard. But the chain guard I have doesn’t need a hole. So I forced in an oversized screw along with some loc-tite, cut off the head, and it’ll look like it was never there.

View attachment 141763
View attachment 141764
View attachment 141765

Now I’m messing with a special funky hub that I need to get apart so I can take measurements and order spokes to build the wheels.
That was actually a mount for a ginormous reflector! That bike had the biggest dang reflectors I’ve ever seen! :)
B3964563-0B7A-4543-8161-16190860579E.jpeg

My attempt at fixing the derailleur failed. I need a donor for the part. If I can’t find one, I’m using a Lark.

I bought a vintage disc brake set up to try out. I thought it would be a neat addition. Unfortunately the disc brake attaches to the hub the same way a freewheel does, and you really need the wheel for leverage to break it loose (I’m assuming since I’ve never worked with one before. You can follow my woes on this expensive adventure here: https://ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/removing-an-vintage-brake-disc.112558/#post-1159451

Update, update, update...
Come on bro,
what's happening with this bike?

Guitarl.

Update, update, update...
Come on bro,
what's happening with this bike?

Guitarl.
Had to wait for some parts, specifically ANOTHER disc brake assembly. I never got the first one to break loose, and a friend found a bike with another one. So, rather than go the easy route and just use a standard caliper on the back, I had to be complicated and stick with this hair brained disc brake idea.
So I got the new assembly apart, so I’m ready to measure for spokes and I realize the front rim has broken chrome on it. So I went ahead and ordered a new one. Once that comes in I’ll measure it and order the spokes. Once those come in I’ll build the wheels and can start actually building the bike. The rear wheel with the disc brake will be the tricky part. Once that’s sorted out, the rest of the bike will be relatively quick.
So far it’s just been a lot of waiting on parts.

Shimano 333 rear derailleur. I’ve discovered that the cable clamp has broken off almost cleanly at the threads.
Does a Shimano RS help you as a donor?
Came from a ross womens bike I bought from original owner, basically zero use, other than being well lubed:21:
20190406_210327.jpg

20190406_210340.jpg

I’m an operations manager in a retail distribution center. The holidays are our peak season, so the workload doubles as people buy a lot more stuff. It’s winding down now.
Yikes. Having worked retail myself, I know very well how chaotic the holiday season gets, and with this year being what it is, I can't even imagine how much worse it could get. Hang in there CRASH, two more weeks and you'll be done with all the seasonal retail madness.

Latest posts

Back