Sweet Liberty update 7/25 More progress!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well I guess I'll be doing this one since I haven't seen a typhoon in the build yet, at least not a 62. I'm glad there is a no frame modification rule because I really didn't want to cut this badboy.
schwinn2.jpg

Re: Sweet Liberty (62 typhoon)

I don't blame ya...I wouldn't want to cut a sweet frame like that either! Should be a killer build,can't wait to see it! :mrgreen:

oh, yeah. this should be cool 8)

I'll be watching this one. I've got a '62 Typhoon myself. It's probably my favorite vintage bike frame.

Here they are installed on the bike. I also removed the fenders. 8) Also I installed the handlebars I think Im going to use. Looks like Texasbigjon is using the same beehive springer on his rod "the tangerine dreamcycle", thats OK I dont think our bikes will look similar. This is probably the last shots of the whole bike till its done.
typhoonbeehive2.jpg
Typhoonbeehive1.jpg

Re: Sweet Liberty (62 typhoon) update 5/8

Well Ive been real busy lately, unfortunatley not on my build-off bike. So I finally got a few hours in on it and decided to make one of my accessories. I need something to carry the various items i like to travel with so here it is. First I started with two aluminum tank pieces I had around and heliarced the two ends together to make this sort of egg shaped tank.
canister1.jpg
I then used a die grinder to cut a hole in the tank and took a piece of aluminum diamond plate to make a door. The plate had to be anealed before it could be bent. I learned this by cracking a few while trying to bend them. I saw Jesse James do this on Motorcycle mania when he anealed some aluminum to make a seat pan or was it a tank. Although Jesse wasnt bending diamond plate I figured it might work and it did. :D
canister2.jpg
canister4.jpg
After making the door I removed some of the aluminum at the top of the hole to fit the hinge that I am going to use. I wanted a flush fit and did want to see the hinge plates. After that I found some nice aluminum rivets and used my Tim Taylor rivet tool to install them. Here is a pic of me using my chin to hold the riveter because my helper (wife) would rather watch me juggle all the pieces ready with the camera to see it crumble. Nah just kiddin.
canister3.jpg
canister5.jpg
canister6.jpg
I also decided to use those handy clamps that came with the tank halves since they fit sooo nice. They will be repainted as well. Next class :lol: I will be installing a lock that I purchased at the local hardware store. Stay tuned

Re: Sweet Liberty (62 typhoon) update 5/24

Good looking welds. What diameter filler rod did you use? We have a pneumatic riveter at work, its almost too easy. But Ive also used the chin method. I usually rest the handle between my 1st and 2nd chin! :lol: Those double bar typhoon frames rock.

Galtbacken said:
Nice tank!! What's anealing? Me noob you know... :D

Softening of the metal using heat. Copper is easy as it gets red, then you quench it in water. Brass changes colour, so it's pretty easy to tell as well. I use oxy acetylene, and with aluminium, I only turn on the acetylene first and cover the area I want to anneal with soot, then set the torch to a low neutral flame and heat (very carefully). When the soot just disappears, the aluminium is annealed, then it has to cool off by itself (no water). I'm sure the process can be done using a lower temp heating torch as well.

Yes bean that is almost the way I did it only I used a little Oxygen with my acetylene. The diamond plate was kinda thick so I figured a bit more heat wouldn't hurt. It didn't, or I just had some beginers luck. EJ599, I used 1/16th of an inch rod for that weld. It is just a butt weld so I wasnt worried about alot of filler. My TIG machine is set up with a 3/16 tungsten electrode and I was pushing about 150 Amps and was at about full pedal. Im self taught on aluminum so there is a bit of a learning curve everytime I weld the stuff. I usaully try to work with a practice piece of the material Im using b4 I lay the final weld.

Well after many weeks of bike building inactivity, I finally have some time. Me and my son have been preparing for our Red belt test in Tang Soo Do and besides working all day Ive been at the karate school (DoJang) 3 to 4 nights a week getting ready. Good news, not only did we pass but I also scored a medal for "best of the test". At the end of the test I had to spar with a first degree black belt for three 1 minute rounds. Im 41 he was about 16 and we put on a great show which in the end I think got me the medal. It was alot of fun and alot of work and I was tired for days but all worth it.
DSC00131.jpg

As stated in a previous post I picked up a lock at the local hardware store for 5 or 6 dollars. Started by drilling a hole in the lid and used these handy little Mac tools files to bring it to the size needed.
canister8lock.jpg
june28-can1.jpg

i cant believe this thing was such a perfect fit between the diamonds. I didnt know the exact size while i was at the store so I guess it was a lucky guess.
canister7lock.jpg

I also installed the white wall tires I am going to use as well as the drop center wheels. The family and I decided to go watch the libertyfest parade, so we rode our bikes 2 miles to the main drag. I put on the horn to navigate our way through the crowd but I dont think It was much appreciated.
typhoonnewtires2.jpg
typhoonnewtires1.jpg

Re: Sweet Liberty update 6/28

Ive had the last week off and found some time to get moving on this bike. I cant believe the deadline is almost here and I haven't started paint yet. It has been very cool here and Im worried about my paint drying thoroughly, ya know splattercan paint doesnt like the cool temps. So I disassembled the bike and started the long sanding process and realized why i didnt become a paint and body man. God I hate sanding.
typhpaintsand2.jpg
typhpaintsand.jpg
I was very pleased to find the frame of this bike to be free of rust. Sanding was finished in 2 days and prepped for paint, I was ready. I picked this valspar blue spray paint as my frame color. Here is a sneak peak at that color on the frame.
typhpaint1.jpg

Re: Sweet Liberty update 7/19

Looking good, nice colour and that lock really couldn't have fit any better!! Congratulations on the red belt! :)

Re: Sweet Liberty update 7/20 getting closer!

Another update! Handle bars, what can you say about handle bars? Not alot of choices out there so I'm just going to modify the set I have. I picked this bar up at Ann Arbor earlier this year for $4 cause it was twisted and bent. I like the style of this handlebar so I bought them. Nicest fella too. I wanted to make them stronger after straightening them so I cut this 1/2 inch pencil brace out of an old bmx handlebar had laying around. It wasn't long enough so I found some half in. stainless tubing, cut a section and tig'd it in. Stainless pollishes up just like chrome so thats what I did.
typhhandlebar1.jpg
typhhandlebar2.jpg

Latest posts

Back