Sweet Liberty update 7/25 More progress!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Sweet Liberty update 7/20 getting closer!

Next up we have the good old seatpost, what a novel invention, unfortunately up and down isn't good enough for everyone. Like me, I have dreaded short legs syndrome (What a blessing) and a somewhat long torso. Since this bike will be my "daily driver" if you will, and I do, I will need to come back a few inches, but not up any higher so this is what I came up with.
typhseatpost.jpg
typhseatpost2.jpg
The next issue I ran into was how to mount the aluminum tank to the back of the seat. Their was already some license plate, I assume, brackets on the seat underside and they are about the distance apart that I need them to be for the tank brackets. the only problem was that there was not enough space between the brkt and the spring to get a nut or bolt through the brackets. I ended up tapping the brkts around the spring with a hammer until I got them lined up with an opening in the spring. I then inserted the bolt and tapped it around back into position. :) If you look at something long enough you WILL figure out a way to get it done. I just kept coming back to it.
typhseatscrew.jpg
typhclamps.jpg

I just cant leave anything alone. I hope all you schwinn loyalists dont bannish me from the kingdom, but that chainguard had to get made-over. I didnt cut it just added to it.
typhchaingd5.jpg
Let me stop right there! I dont wanna sound like Norm Abrams from "this old house" but we need to talk shop safety kids. That pneumatic butter knife you see there throws alot off chips. Ever had an eye injury b4 :cry: :cry: :cry: Not fun. I have, we wont get into the details but as you can see here I now double up on the eye protection.
typhsafety1.jpg
typhchaingd4.jpg
typhchaingd3.jpg
And that leads us to welding. Have you ever seen those dummies on American Chopper, Amer. hotrod, Monster garage, Overhaul I can name endless TV shows. You know the guys youve seen em. Maybe some of you do it, Iv'e done it, I'm guilty. Very talented people but not smart welders. Here is how it goes. Line up piece to be welded, close eyes, hit trigger and make weld then open eyes. Ultra-violet light goes right through your thin little eyelids, did you know that? The long term effects Glucoma, maybe blindness. Cant ride a bike blind can ya? Just thought Id throw that out there as a public safety announcement :roll: Anyway wear it proud.
typhsafety2.jpg
typhsafety3.jpg
This ones gonna need a little mud filler where I messed up a bit. So heres the almost finished guard.
typhchaingd2.jpg
typhchaingd.jpg
The wife thinks it looks like one of those old musket guns. :?

I agree the chainguard looks great.

How do you know it's a Typhoon? Family bike?

looks sweet! i think you need to make the other end more pointey and wing-like, like on a big old cadillac.

awesome! if i did it though, id wrap it around even further.

If there's ever a chainguard build off...........You'd WIN hands down!.....Can't wait to see the finished bike.

Re: Sweet Liberty update 7/25 more progress!

With the lock in and a quick polish my tank is finally ready. This thing turned out to be a bit of a challenge, especially mounting the thing to the seat. I'll show it mounted next Sat. but heres the cleaned up pic.
ty1.jpg
I also went up to the local auto parts store and picked up something I never thought I would purchase. I have a buddy of mine that does ALL my body and paint for me. I pay him so I dont have to do it. But Im sticking to the no professional paint jobs rule.
typhchaingd7.jpg
Here is the half painted chaingaurd sitting on the bike.
typhchaingd6.jpg
And finally here is a picture of the completed beehive springer and a peek at the paint scheme.
ty2.jpg

Latest posts

Back