Swingurrito

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The rules say it must be ridable, but I didn't see anything about how rideable.

I'd guess that if you can pedal it 10 yards in a straight line it would qualify. There's no proscribed course to ride on.

If it existed and it had sharp turns I'd be screwed, but you could make it . . . if it doesn't fall over.

Maybe. with so much negative trail these burritos have got to be tough to steer.

The rules say it must be ridable, but I didn't see anything about how rideable.

I'd guess that if you can pedal it 10 yards in a straight line it would qualify. There's no proscribed course to ride on.

If it existed and it had sharp turns I'd be screwed, but you could make it . . . if it doesn't fall over.

Maybe. with so much negative trail these burritos have got to be tough to steer.
Well if one of your competitors calls out the rideability in question it's up for debate. Keep that in mind

Think of it like the show mythbusters. Plausible is not the same as confirmed

I believe the fork rake will determine how cray cray the handeling will be. Remember this is a hybrid of two styles/types of bikes. I do think I have a couple of ways to get the length and height desired. Today I researched welding hood lens vs new hood. Bezos bargain basement bonanza has a lens for $10 or an entire hood for $12. Probably just go with a new unit. My poor tired old hood has been threw a lot in the past 10-12 years, and I am surprised it has lasted this long. Steel fab shops are a tough environment for equipment, not to mention your body. I am a pencil pushing keyboard warrior these days. No more dealing with the bosses wife's friends tweeker brother who just got out of jail!!! Slinging sparks and slag all over into everyone's eye's and face, because you dont know how to use a grinder, and If you could read a tape, or could run a machine, you wouldnt have to be grinding all day!

It's one of the things that distanced me from bicycles: The stereotype of the bicycling California tweaker/addict.

Fresno county CA is trying hard to be the meth capitol of the known universe.

Good morning build journal.
Not much progress this week. I did order a cheapo bezo welding hood. Waiting on that.
I am still trying to decide on wheel size. I think I may go 29er. I have a set of steel 29er wheels, that i have no other use for. The rear wheel has a threaded free wheel, and painted steel rims with rim brakes kind of suck, so i think I am going to lace in a coaster hub. My thought is having the largest wheels possible will allow for a taller frame, and maybe easier to get the tops of those wheels above frame height.

Hello build journal.
I got home late tonight, and found my Bezos Order waiting on the porch
Opened up the south american river box, and found a Hobart tag attached to the hood in the box
Pretty fancy for less than $15usd.
This old forman who ran this even older steel fab shop swore by the old glass hoods. He's the kind of guy who would
lose his mind over tripin on his own feet and just start throwing anything and every thing. Even his hood. No big deal he'd say. A new lens is $5.
Any how I ran out to the garage shop and ran the flux core real quick and made these 3 pieces into 1.
This will be the pin that hopefully holds this future contraption together. the I guess I'll start stacking some headset and head tubes. This should be fun.
IMG_20220517_202929 (1).jpg
IMG_20220517_203856.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been known to hammer a piece of spoiled work into an unrecognizable blob and start over from scratch.

I bought one of those inexpensive welding helmets when I bought my TIG welder but it was a Jackson.

I haven’t done much arc welding since the mid ‘70s, but this light modern helmet was better than any helmet I ever used up to that point in my life. Of course those helmets were all belonging to someone else.

Then I bought a Miller automatic self darkening helmet, and my welding life changed. Arc start anxiety dropped by 90%. Accuracy improved immediately.

It wasn’t cheap though. I got one on sale and it was still over $350. Even if you have to settle for less expensive one, an automatic self darkening helmet is an amazing invention when it comes to arc welding.

But again that is a lot of money.

It’s one of those things that if you save up for and buy, you will congratulate yourself the first time you use it.

i do like my old worn out auto lens, but after i think ive had it a decade or more. Its made by Antra, they pretty much make every other hood thats not a miller. They manufacture for snap on and Kolbalt. The Kolbalt I had was nice and light. Some nascar guy in the shop traded me a Makita angle grinder for it. I still have the grinder. Ive had a few miller hoods, but they have small lenses and are very dark and green. I loved my Antra's red true color lens. I still have my old hood, it has a giant 4x4 lens, but i think the sensor is busted.
I didnt really like that foreman. When youre trying to weld, and some jerk is throwing stuff all around, and you cant see hammers wizzing at you, i tend to get a little upset. I dont do that kind of work anymore because of people like that.
Although I do enjoy pointing out the buildings and bridges i worked on, and all the random agriculture equipment when driving around. Lots of flux core, dual sheild 1/16" now just running tiny .030 inner shield

Good morning build journal
So I have decided I want to use these steel 29er rims. I also decided I want to use a coaster hub.
I should probably build the rear wheel before I get to deep in to this build. I have enough random wheels, and spokes taking up room. So I will need to determine spoke length. I have a 29r wheelset. the front wheel needs no attention, but relacing the rear wheel with a coaster hub. I might luck out and the rear hubs width and flange might be the same or close enough I maybe able to use the existing spokes in the rear wheel, most likely not. Also I lost my dishing tool, not to big of a deal as you can usually get it withing tolerance by using the frame as a reference.
Anyways, its been awhile since I have measured for spokes. So I thought I would watch Park Tools University Here is the link below for anyone else who needs something to watch with their coffee
Here is a link to the spoke calculator worksheet
https://www.parktool.com/assets/img/repairhelp/Spoke-Length-Worksheet.pdfNow for the video link!

Hello build journal
Well I was on my way home this afternoon. All of a sudden, my brake peddle went straight to the floor. UGH!! What ev I just so happen to have an entire brake system sitting in the garage. I was going to spend the weekend cutting and fitting the headsets together, but now I guess we will be tending to Lilith the ice queen. I was just about 5 miles out, but this is exactly why I roll with a MANual transmission. Also If you ever throw a rod threw the oil pan you can throw the stick out of gear before every thing locks up so you dont start rolling down the freeway,(not in a fun way) and If you're like me the speed limit is when the speedo stops rotating in a clockwise fashion
Anyway what a bummer, maybe get to screw around sunday.
But hey why not another video for you all ENJOY!!

Last edited:
Did you ever get your vehicle fixed?
And almost as important, did you ever jump back on your swingin boreetoe?
Tick Tock

Latest posts

Back