Tallman Lane

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only thing I will add is make sure your center of gravity isn’t above or behind the rear tire. A good friends father used to run the local bike shop where I grew up. His dad took two Huffy boys bikes and stacked them making a tall bike. I rode it once as a kid. That bike was sold along with the bike shop when his dad died. A couple years back my friend built himself one identical to the one his dad built (based off of old photos) . The only problem he has is going up any incline, if he doesn’t lean way forward, the bike wants to wheelee.

The only problem he has is going up any incline, if he doesn’t lean way forward, the bike wants to wheelee.
Truth, as my current tallbike has the same tendencies. To combat this phenomenon, the extra long effective top tube (2 1/2" longer and being able to move the saddle forward a bit) and heavier construction when extending both the head tube and steerer tube should help quite a bit. Others have negated ths effect by running a smaller front wheel as well.

Even so, riding a wheelie on a tallbike makes the spectacle more enjoyable sometimes. I've looped my current one several times, but my own tallness makes it an easy dismount.

The first pic is my suicycle multi speed modern high wheeler.
7FC438C4-9D7D-4FFB-9AE3-0B33B03BF2EC.jpeg
AF541CA2-3D44-4D2E-818D-1D20F28BBAD7.jpeg
The second pic was the first design of my bike just before I took it out for a test ride. Ride didn’t go as planned, it was frontheavy and I hit a small hole at the end of my driveway and went over the bars breaking my arm and many ribs. Back in the shop I moved the seat back and reworked the handle bars, painted it, rode it one more time , then retired it. I’m getting to old to break bones !

It's been over 40 years since I have slung an angle grinder. Slow to start yesterday in order to avoid any unneccessary gouges in the frames and in an hour got most of it done. Going out in the cool of the morning to finish and then add the sanding disc to strip the paint at the fabrication points. Pics when I get a chance...

Dogsitting and their Morning Constitutional meant missing my window to grind in the backyard. If the Monsoons predicted through Monday drop any coolness on us here, It'll happen this evening.

My brother sent this from getting a part for the grinder at the machine shop he manages. If I had that grinder, the whole job would have taken just a few minutes.

IMG_0398.jpg

IMG_0399.jpg

A few things kept me from getting the angle grinder out the past couple of weeks, but the collection of items I needed to cut up to free up useable frames with components hopelessly stuck to them was growing unmanageable. All of the busy work was taken care of first, followed by working on eliminating the braze-ons on the Tallman Lane project. Still a little out of practice on detail work, but getting there.

Tallman4.jpg

Some work was done yesterday on stripping paint off of the frames, otherwise my concentration has been on a few other builds and organization. The organization part involved creating a wheel/hub spec database that includes commonly built wheelsets and parts in my inventory. A few pending wheelsets were calculated, including the set for Tallman Lane.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that this will probably not be finished in time. It'll definitely get finished because having a tallbike that fits properly is my main intent. Client build requests, transportation issues, and other factors beyond my control have dictated the pace of this Summer. The Winter build-offs are right in my wheelhouse and are better for me because build requests naturally decrease in Winter. Stranger things though and finishing in time for the deadline can not be ruled out yet.

Hope you find some time to do a lightning round of building!

Latest posts

Back