Tank mounting

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,
I have a tank laying around and i was thinking of mounting it on my BO entry.
Since i do not want to repaint the frame (and i'm not sure i'm gonna like it) i don't want to weld tabs in the frame.
How are tanks mounted on frames?
Could you show me some pictures how tanks are typically mounted?

Thanks!
IMG_20210623_204204491.jpg
IMG_20210623_204226399.jpg
IMG_20210623_204242990.jpg

Of course i'll need to cut it in 2 pieces but that's no issue

You could split it. Then make a template of the cutouts for the bars. Use threaded rods and cap "acorn" nuts through one half and out the other. Or a bolt and one nut. Either way the tank halves would sandwich the frame bars. One more thing, split vinyl tubing (split long ways), could be put on the edges to fill gaps, cover sharp edges and for deadening rattle sounds.

Last edited:
Is the bottom slot on the tank wide enough to clear the cantilevers on the frame? If so, you wouldn't have to cut it. Get some thick foam like they use to insulate pipes and wrap the top tube with it until it's thick enough for the tank to very snugly slide over, then use velcro under the bottom of the tank to secure it. No rattles and it can be removed easily if you know where the velcro strips are.
1624577835405.png

Cool little peanut tank. I'd try as is straddling the tube and see how she fits. Typically they would be tab or bung mounted on the back bone of a motorcycle frame

If you're not interested in drilling or welding it you could look at clamp alternatives

s-l400 (1).jpg

Or the method they typically call a frame saver is to make a slit piece of tubing that mimics the backbone and has all the mounts attached to it. Then your mods are not to the frame

Wildcat had a great suggestion with the foam wrap. You could use simple leather strapping and maybe snaps to secure as well??

You could split it. Then make a template of the cutouts for the bars. Use threaded rods and cap "acorn" nuts through one half and out the other. Or a bolt and one nut. Either way the tank halves would sandwich the frame bars. One more thing, split vinyl tubing (split long ways), could be put on the edges to fill gaps, cover sharp edges and for deadening rattle sounds.
Well that's not a bad idea!
The white oval shields are screwed on, maybe i can hide the bolts behind it.

Latest posts

Back