TBA...(Free Ride?)Now thinking:Got Lucky!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm in! With this:
IMG_0224.jpg

IMG_0229.jpg

IMG_0228.jpg

IMG_0227.jpg

IMG_0235.jpg

So the story goes...Awhile back, a comrade of mine posted to our BBS at work that he was interested in old bikes and if anyone had any that they wanted to get rid of for free, or for sale if it was something good, to let him know...Well he didn't get many responses... :lol: But one guy did contact him and said that he had 3 old bikes that he'd be willing to part with. But since my pal had decided to go another route for his build he gave the contact info to me. So I called the guy and went to his house and he had a department store 10 speed, mountain bike and this Sears...OK, I said. I'll take 'em...So then he says, OK. Like $35 bucks for the 10 speed and $25 for the mountain bike?...Oh, I'm sorry. I mis-understood...I thought they were free? Oh no! He says. I need money for these... :oops: Oh, OK. Well, I wasn't looking to buy anything...So sorry to bother you. I say. Well...I guess you could have THAT one, he said... :D

I really didn't do much with it. I put a Brooks saddle on that I got from another forum member, rode it around a little. Then the front wheel bearings seized and so I parked it. Figuring that I'd do something with it eventually...I started buying parts. I was thinking "Trailer Queen"...Lots of chrome. Top shelf paint job...I bought new wheels, handlebars, tires and a re-pop springer fork...But I lacked one thing: motivation! :lol:

Well now I've got that! So lets see where this goes:
IMG_0233.jpg

Re: TBA...(Free Ride?)

deorman said:
So, the only one that was of any interest was free? How convenient! :wink:
I know! I couldn't believe it myself! :lol: So I said OK...and loaded it up! Go figure... :mrgreen: I'm still not happy with the name for the build...

bikeriderx said:
the name for the build...
How about "Sears middleweight"? :mrgreen:
Almost hate to see anything other than back shelf the sheet metal and keep it greasy on this heap. :| Not enough to buy it though. :lol:
How about "Enola Gay"? :p

build well or die trying my friend. looks a fantastic bike to start with.

I took the bike apart last night:

IMG_1243.jpg

IMG_1245.jpg

IMG_1247.jpg

The pedals gave me fits! :x

IMG_1248.jpg

Whew!

IMG_1252.jpg

I bent the chainring getting 'em off...Yikes! :roll:

IMG_1251.jpg

IMG_1261.jpg

IMG_1267.jpg

IMG_1266.jpg

Hopefully I can git 'r straight again... :|

Next up...Strip for paint...

IMG_1268.jpg

And about that headbadge... :?

IMG_1269.jpg

IMG_0235.jpg

Hopefully I wont ruin it taking it off...

deorman said:
Thus, clearly illustrating why I always remove the pedals (or at least the left one :wink: ) BEFORE the rear wheel and chain on coaster brake bikes. :mrgreen:
:lol: I was in a hurry! :roll:

I got both wheels blown apart...

IMG_1303.jpg

IMG_1301.jpg

IMG_1307.jpg

IMG_1309.jpg

This build will be the first time I've ever re-built wheels from scratch and the first time I've ever opened up and serviced a coaster brake hub...

IMG_1329.jpg

IMG_1331.jpg

IMG_1336.jpg

IMG_1334.jpg

IMG_1338.jpg

Bikeriderx said:
This build will be the first time I've ever re-built wheels from scratch and the first time I've ever opened up and serviced a coaster brake hub...

Probably the easiest hub to rebuild, just make sure you remember how it came apart!

Schweetcruisers said:
Bikeriderx said:

Probably the easiest hub to rebuild, just make sure you remember how it came apart!
Yup! Took lots of pics and I have an AWESOME old skool service manual! :mrgreen:
IMG_1330.jpg

What were your thoughts on building up your own wheels? Lacing the spokes and truing the wheel can be fun.

BossHydro said:
What were your thoughts on building up your own wheels? Lacing the spokes and truing the wheel can be fun.
Well, I'm gonna go for it! I had pretty good luck straightening a severely bent wheel on a bike a neighbor kid brought to me to fix: http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=26448 So I'm fairly confident that if I take my time, I'll get it. :mrgreen:

Re: TBA...Now thinking:Got Lucky!

I got the wheels back from the sandblaster today:

IMG_1368.jpg

IMG_1365.jpg

IMG_1366.jpg

IMG_1370.jpg

They have a cool "satin" finish...At least that's what the sandblaster called it...Which is a little spin on his part...I'd call it "rough". But all things considered, they look pretty cool! If I hadn't already decided on a color scheme I'd be tempted to clear coat 'em and leave 'em as is. They have some metallic flecks that look real cool:

IMG_1369.jpg

But, I want white wheels so next is primer and paint...

Latest posts

Back