Tell me if this is a dumb idea

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ll probably try it anyway
I’m trying to put a motorcycle fork on a bike frame. The steering tube is 1 inch but it is a metric thread (it’s from a cz Jawa motorcycle - I got a box of parts and a weed wacker for 20 bucks last summer and it’s just taking up space, I’ll never find a frame for the motorcycle so I may as well get creative) I’d like to chop off the tube and thread it with a die I can get on Amazon.
Are their other options? Can I tap the adjustable race and lock nut? Could I heym gemakht something with the proper threads? Is this a stupid idea?
why am I doing this? I dunno, just because

Attachments

• 16D54E71-59CF-4F3A-86BC-BC7D451D1FF5.jpeg
    16D54E71-59CF-4F3A-86BC-BC7D451D1FF5.jpeg
    322.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 9EF3C739-2434-4AB8-9474-BEB56B89B257.jpeg
    9EF3C739-2434-4AB8-9474-BEB56B89B257.jpeg
    398.3 KB · Views: 24
Is the stem press fit in the lower triple? That would make life easier. Lots of people press and stem swap in the motorcycle world. At least might make working on it easier

Why not just chop the stem in place and section it to the proper length? Cut out the middle. Drop in a plug and weld er up

Obviously you know it's going to be heavier but hey why not 🤷‍♂️

I think it’s welded on. But you make a good point. I can just chop the whole steering tube and weld another one on.
It’s gonna be hella heavy. But it’s either gonna be a gas bike or an ebike (or an e motorcycle I haven’t decided yet.)

Hah, his brings back memories. I mounted a CZ fork on a bicycle way back in the 1970s. I don't recall any details of the swap process but it did work and was nose heavy like no other. I'm sure however I did it was sketchy with zero thoughts about safety. Let it roll.

Latest posts

Back