That slight back-and-forth play in the rear wheel with coaster brakes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How the heck do I get rid of it? While braking on the pedals, I can rock the bike back and forth abit. Is there anything that can be done about this? It makes me feel like the bike is flimsy.

PS, YES I've checked the arm. It's something else..:bigsmile:

How the heck do I get rid of it? While braking on the pedals, I can rock the bike back and forth abit. Is there anything that can be done about this? It makes me feel like the bike is flimsy.

PS, YES I've checked the arm. It's something else..:bigsmile:
I have a hub that I use for off road biking that if I take it out and ride hard it loosens up. Especially a lot on the downhill.

The basic fix is to re-tighten the hub. In my case, Even though the arm is tight, the axle still turning a slight amount when braking hard. The solution for me may be to add a thin flange nut, and double nut the arm side. But reTightening has worked OK so far, haven't explored finding the nut to solve it.

I have a hub that I use for off road biking that if I take it out and ride hard it loosens up. Especially a lot on the downhill.

The basic fix is to re-tighten the hub. In my case, Even though the arm is tight, the axle still turning a slight amount when braking hard. The solution for me may be to add a thin flange nut, and double nut the arm side. But reTightening has worked OK so far, haven't explored finding the nut to solve it.
You mean it still turns while braking? I meant the slight kinda rocking you get, back and forth, while standing still but braking :) As far as I can tell it's pretty tight in there, but I'll try taking it apart again just to make sure. Thanks :)

You mean it still turns while braking? I meant the slight kinda rocking you get, back and forth, while standing still but braking :) As far as I can tell it's pretty tight in there, but I'll try taking it apart again just to make sure. Thanks :)
The side to side rocking in a hub usually means it is loose and needs to be tightened.

The strap that holds the brake arm might allow a little up and down movement of the arm. Make sure it's tight up against the frame with no allowance for movement.

The strap that holds the brake arm might allow a little up and down movement of the arm. Make sure it's tight up against the frame with no allowance for movement.

direct-hit.png

Latest posts

Back