The 12 Year Project- Bare Bones, Bare Metal & Barely In the Finished Thread!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Hey all, been lurking around here for several years now, and joined up in 2012 for the build off, and attempted a one-week build of a board trackish '55 Schwinn Racer, but a crashed computer made me a half hour late so I was out.

Going for it again this year a little earlier, with a frame that I've had hanging around for the last 12 years. The thing is, I have made a decent attempt at identifying it but have never been able to. I bought from a friend, but the only way we ever saw it was as a bare frame and fork with a heavy coat of black paint. I've thrown it together a couple times over the years but was never happy with it. Before I choose a theme, I'm hoping some of you could shed some light on this mystery frame. Below are some photos to check out. Whatever we figure out, I'm excited to be back in the Build Off!

That is very cool frame! Welcome to the build-off! :thumbsup:

Luke.
Thanks! I think so, too. I hung onto it forever! Most of my research points to late 20s-early 30's, but every time I think it's one brand, I notice something not quite right. The dog legs in the seat stays are a biggie. I have yet to see one that's close with that. I'll work on my photo posting, btw- I'm used to DSLRs and Laptops, not my iPhone!

Thanks! I think so, too. I hung onto it forever! Most of my research points to late 20s-early 30's, but every time I think it's one brand, I notice something not quite right. The dog legs in the seat stays are a biggie. I have yet to see one that's close with that. I'll work on my photo posting, btw- I'm used to DSLRs and Laptops, not my iPhone!
Great looking frame. Not sure what it is, bit it has some grat color to it. Looking forward to see what you build up!

As for phone... I post all mine thru my phone. My home computer died last summer, with the supercomputer in my pocket have yet to need a computer unless I want to print...

Welcome back to a build off! Solid piece to the puzzle to start with...initially, it looks to me to be long in the top tubes, possibly a 28 " wheeler....early 'road bike'. Have to measure the chainstay to be sure.

Last edited:
Great Frame!!

If my interpretation of the serial number is anywhere close, the frame MAY be a Westfield-built bike and should be a '27 model. OddJob is probably on to something with the 28" wheeler idea. My bike (I believe) is a 1927 Westfield-built Elgin 28"-er. My mid-bar joins the head tube instead of the bottom tube, but otherwise looks VERY similar!!

Looking forward to seeing what you do with it!!

You may try posting it in the bike identify thread & someone may know . Welcome to the competition have fun [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whatever it is, that's one clean palette to create a sweet rat with. Sometimes builders try to restore bikes to their original appearance, and that's fine if that's what you're into. Bring your wallet. Me, I love the creativity here, where we build a bike like no one else has. Great frame brother, great frame.

Carl.

Great looking frame. Not sure what it is, bit it has some grat color to it. Looking forward to see what you build up!

As for phone... I post all mine thru my phone. My home computer died last summer, with the supercomputer in my pocket have yet to need a computer unless I want to print...

Thanks man, I'm sure I'll get used to posting. I just can't figure out why the frame shot posted three times, lol

Welcome back to a build off! Solid piece to the puzzle to start with...initially, it looks to me to be long in the top tubes, possibly a 28 " wheeler....early 'road bike'. Have to measure the chainstay to be sure.
Thanks! I didn't want to muddy the waters with all my theories, but I'm pretty sure it ran 28s as well.

Very good base for a build ! ,Welcome aboard!
i was curious my self , so i did a little search based on apperence and came out with :
https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/8907402_c-1915-winchester-male-pneumatic-safety-bicycle
everything looks correct , even the fork
8907402_1_l_zpso0916yjt.jpg

(edit) Nope ! sorry
Thank you, glad to be back...
See what I mean! Lots of close but no cigar. How cool would a Winchester be, though? Can't see the top of the seat stays, but the fender stay(?- the cross bar on the seat stays) is curved instead of round and the badge holes are horizontal instead of vertical. That's a close one in a short amount of time, though. Gives me hope!

Great Frame!!

If my interpretation of the serial number is anywhere close, the frame MAY be a Westfield-built bike and should be a '27 model. OddJob is probably on to something with the 28" wheeler idea. My bike (I believe) is a 1927 Westfield-built Elgin 28"-er. My mid-bar joins the head tube instead of the bottom tube, but otherwise looks VERY similar!!

Looking forward to seeing what you do with it!!
Thanks man! Does the letter/number sequence match yours?

You may try posting it in the bike identify thread & someone may know . Welcome to the competition have fun [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks! I've been threatening to do that for years, but since the Build Off gets so much action I figured I'd kill two birds with one stone!

Whatever it is, that's one clean palette to create a sweet rat with. Sometimes builders try to restore bikes to their original appearance, and that's fine if that's what you're into. Bring your wallet. Me, I love the creativity here, where we build a bike like no one else has. Great frame brother, great frame.

Carl.
I agree on all counts! I build a lot of bikes, but I'm very Schwinn-centric. So this frame is a whole new challenge for me. It's not the end of the world if I don't identify it, but it would be nice after hanging onto it for so long!

The other big reason is if I know what is, I could possibly find/afford a tank or chain guard and that would most certainly change the direction of the build.

Thanks man! Does the letter/number sequence match yours?

The E prefix is what lead me to this line of thinking. My serial number is E20455. The only thing that throws me is the U towards the end. According to my limited reading, Westfield used the letter (in this case, E) to signify the year followed by a series of numbers for the production count. The U goes against this logic, so I'm a little stumped.

I don't have any insight on the bike info, but it looks cool to me

Latest posts

Back