*The 76er* (I. Think. I'm. Done. update: 7/29)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: *The 76er* (LIghting update: 7/22)

Skipton said:
:shock: 8) WOW bike is looking great.... awesome job on the lights!

Thanks, I just need to buckle down this week.

Technically I could throw a chain on it at any time and say done, but I'm hustling to get my promised pieces out.

Re: *The 76er* (LIghting update: 7/22)

Day 82

Like I said, time to buckle down. I just got in from the shop, 10pm to 3am. I gotta write this thing while it's fresh in my mind.

Let's get started, I'm tired.

First, I greased the front and rear hubs and did a final install on them. There was no room for my tachometer sending unit and the pressure broke it... the end. Maybe I'll find another one in the next few days... doubt it, so the tach will be for looks (which I'm totally NOT fine with) for now. Before I reinstalled the rear wheel I remembered I needed to install the fender. Once I did, I knew I'd made the right decision.
IMG_4416.jpg

When I put the wheel back on, it looked good, the top of the fender fits snug, but I didn't like how the bottom fit, so I got a machine screw and 3 or 4 nuts to make the front/bottom of the fender adjustable with the wheel.
IMG_4417.jpg

Since I have a 1 1/8" fork in the 1" steer tube I decided to just use 3M double sided foam tape to install the headbadge:
IMG_4421.jpg

That's probably the last anyone will see the badge since a big headlight blocks it. haha

Now, it was time to get dangerous. While steel wooling and clear coating the handlebars, the open ends (see previous photos) on the bottom needed to be capped, I found some bar end caps, but Cody had a better idea. I went inside and grabbed 2 12 gauge shells (bird shot). We cut them open, dumped the shot and powder. After burning the powder on the shop floor we had to get rid of the primers... after all kinds of safety precautions (kids, don't try this at home) I popped them off.
IMG_4422.jpg

Pipe to divert primer, safety glasses, gun ear mufflers, and welding gloves.
IMG_4423.jpg

The shells were then gorilla glued into the open bar ends, no photos till I trim the expanded glue.

I found this at church, I have a use for both parts of it.
IMG_4418.jpg

Here's what I did with the handle part:
IMG_4424.jpg

That will be my headlight switch. While working on the switch I made a high density foam battery holder inside the headlight and got it wired up:
IMG_4427.jpg

Then I started working on the chainguard, first I drilled and installed the stars, then I added some stripes:
IMG_4425.jpg

Then I aged the striping and fully installed the stars:
IMG_4426.jpg

Sometimes I build stuff and I'm like "Eh..." but I really like this chainguard:
IMG_4428.jpg

How am I doing so far?

Well, I'm going to bed.

In 1976 the the first commercial Concorde flights took off out of the United Kingdom. At supersonic speeds it could really move people fast... as fast as I need to move to finish this build-off on time.

Re: *The 76er* (Fender, Headbadge, Chainguard install: 7/25)

This week is going to kill me, not even lunch time and I'm DRAGGING! Ended up hitting the sack after 4, my oldest was up less than 30 minutes later with a bad dream. Then my son was up early. I can make it! :|

Looking sharp as he77!!!
Plenty of cool ideas to steal in the future. 8)

kingfish254 said:
Looking sharp as he77!!!
Plenty of cool ideas to steal in the future. 8)

Thanks man, steal away, though I probably stole them too, knowingly or not.

Chainguard is awesome! Great idea, may have to steal that one for a future build! :mrgreen: L 8) 8) KIN G 8) 8) D!

pick said:
Chainguard is awesome! Great idea, may have to steal that one for a future build! :mrgreen: L 8) 8) KIN G 8) 8) D!

Thanks, finding the stars for the guard was just a lucky find from a walk in the woods, I thought I had pulled off some smaller one's as well. Hmmm... I'm to the point where I can't wait to see this entire bike all together now.

Looks good :D Your obviously in this build off to WIN :mrgreen:

SCHWINNRAY69 said:

I know we all say we are just building to build a cool bike, but I can't be the only one who has this dream of winning right? I used this build-off and it's deadline to motivate me to build up my bike, and it's worked. I've built it only with things that I think are cool and already had or have found along the way. I've gotta face facts though, I started out with strikes against me. This is my first build-off, I'm relatively new here (just celebrated 1 year beginning of this month), I don't have a local support group of other RRBers, I used a common frame, and I have no exotic rat rod bike parts or expensive wheels and tires. Still though, I'm building my bike and as I type each post I imagine what it would be like to win once all the votes are in.

So, am I obviously in this build-off to win? HECK YEAH! :mrgreen:

oh my i cant wait to see this finished those lights are cool nice looking set up... im liking what you have done with the build

jaysmo said:
oh my i cant wait to see this finished those lights are cool nice looking set up... im liking what you have done with the build

Thanks, I can't wait to see it finished either. Hoping I've shared enough in my build updatees so that I have no secrets and I've hopefully been educational.

imagearchy said:
nothing but compliments for this build!

Thanks so much, it's a bonus compliment coming from such a builder as yourself.

I don't have a local support group of other RRBers, I used a common frame, and I have no exotic rat rod bike parts or expensive wheels and tires.
So, am I obviously in this build-off to win? HECK YEAH! :mrgreen:[/quote]
YEAH BABY I'M WITH YOU ON THIS ONE!! WE GOTTA START A NEWBIE REVOLUTION AND ALLIENCE. :mrgreen: EVEN THOUGH WE ALL ARE EQUALS AND RATTERS TOGETHER. ONE BIG HAPPY FAMILY AFTER ONE PRIZE. SO CUE UP THAT LIL JOHN "LET'S GO " SONG !! I'M PULLING OUT ALL STOPS TOO. I'LL SEE YA AT THE FINISHED PAGE. YA KNOW I LIKE YA BIKE AND I'M STEALING THAT FENDER IDEA :wink: SO ....GET TA BUILDIN'!! PEACE

Jake Sensi said:
YA KNOW I LIKE YA BIKE AND I'M STEALING THAT FENDER IDEA :wink: SO ....GET TA BUILDIN'!! PEACE

Thanks man! I hope someone does steal that fender idea and make the louvers look a little cleaner, like I would if I were doing it again.

Yeah the fender and the chainguard are definitely theft worthy!
Does your crank clear the stars on the guard?
Is this bike meant to be pedalled backwards? I see that you have a counterclockwise arrow on your guard to remind you. :p :p

yoothgeye said:
SCHWINNRAY69 said:

I know we all say we are just building to build a cool bike, but I can't be the only one who has this dream of winning right? I used this build-off and it's deadline to motivate me to build up my bike, and it's worked. I've built it only with things that I think are cool and already had or have found along the way. I've gotta face facts though, I started out with strikes against me. This is my first build-off, I'm relatively new here (just celebrated 1 year beginning of this month), I don't have a local support group of other RRBers, I used a common frame, and I have no exotic rat rod bike parts or expensive wheels and tires. Still though, I'm building my bike and as I type each post I imagine what it would be like to win once all the votes are in.

So, am I obviously in this build-off to win? HECK YEAH! :mrgreen:

I am in the same boat Yooth. Newbie, first rat build, no local support. Just me, myself, and I (and this super site/forum to feed off of). It has been a blast!!!

kingfish254 said:
Does your crank clear the stars on the guard?
Is this bike meant to be pedalled backwards? I see that you have a counterclockwise arrow on your guard to remind you. :p :p

I wondered this myself, I didn't spin the crank to find out. haha

The arrow is to remind me which way to pedal so it will brake. :lol:

I see you've been killin' LED's, they normally need dropping resistors to limit the current. Bike's lookin' good, I hope that chainguard works out for you, and use caution when riding with lace-up shoes! :D

Murrays Rule!

Latest posts

Back