The Big Payback

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was an incident in 1980 where I was responsible for the loss of a friend's Schwinn Cruiser. He always said he was cool with it whenever the topic arose after it happened. We've kept in touch over the years and plan on catching up in person this Summer. I showed him some pics of what I've been up to and offered to build something cool for him, adding in "I owe you a bike, man." He thanked me and said yes when told of what I had in mind. The first step or two have been taken, but no work was done until today.

@Bike from the Dead provided the base bike in the form of a Schwinn Skipper when I was out roadtripping a while back and swung through Oklahoma. It was mentioned to him that this was going to be a payback build. Some parts were on hand, some ordered and delivered and others either on the way or pending a decision to order.

Work started with cleaning the rims up for inspection and preparation of powdercoat, USA Made 36h Weinmann 2121 26x1.75 and time was taken to get the ERD 553 for these.

20220203_124535.jpg

20220203_154716.jpg

The headset was a bit stubborn, but it's now off along with the rest of the parts. One of the twin straight bars was bent a bit, but a little imagination and elbow grease remedied that. Off to the powdercoaters today.

20220215_163346.jpg

Last edited:
@Palepainter recommended powdercoater was quick, inexpensive and on-point.

20220221_113652.jpg

Ordering up some handlebars and unless I'm mistaken that should do it on the ordering front. It's supposed to be cold and snowy here the next few days, so lacing up a bunch of wheels is set-up and ready to roll with all of the wheelgoods, including this set.

View attachment 186351

Ordering up some handlebars and unless I'm mistaken that should do it on the ordering front. It's supposed to be cold and snowy here the next few days, so lacing up a bunch of wheels is set-up and ready to roll with all of the wheelgoods, including this set.
Good peeps over there.

Good peeps over there.
For Sure I'll definitely be going back for media blasting and occasional powdercoat work.

Dogsitting and building wheels indoors today in the single-digit weather. The other spokes ordered for this wheelset *should* arrive sometime today. In the meantime, I have plenty of other wheels to stitch up.

View attachment 186351

Might not be able to take that out in the winter...

images.jpeg

Might not be able to take that out in the winter...

View attachment 187386
Where the owner lives, there is no snow. He may only take it out in Winter down there.

Hit the polishing wheel for a couple of hours on Saturday and got everything in the "to be polished" box taken care of, including some of the OE parts from the donor bike. Have some old friends visiting and will get a round tuit again in a few days.

It's all done, except for the fork. A lesson reminder of "measure twice, cut once" happened and another fork is already on the way. I have future projects the miscue fork can go on, so it's only a loss of time. My cup is half-full and I'm very pleased with the build.

Latest posts

Back