πŸπŸ—πŸ‘πŸ• π”π§πœπ₯𝐞 π’π­π«πžπ­πœπ‘ 𝐂𝐨π₯𝐬𝐨𝐧 𝐗𝐋𝐖𝐁 - BO17 Build Journal - Finished in 3rd Place - 1937 Uncle Stretch Colson XLWB

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I might be. If I remember right, it's not as organized as it sounds. I'll have to see what Queenfish has on my schedule then. It's less than 2 weeks from when I fly over to see SwissGuy. :D
We definitely need to ride sometime soon though. What's your schedule like?
Busy this weekend, free the next two

This shot was terrific.
View attachment 210472
They have a river boat like that parked up at Sacramento, and I’ve eaten seafood there with my wife.
It’s not nearly as large as the Georgia queen but it is very ornate with real 1800’s wood work.

But they do not operate it on the river anymore. The waterways here are just not that navigable. The cost of operation could not be recouped by operating a restaurant and hotel that small, because they’re not able/brave enough to charge huge prices.

If you notice in the video, the paddle wheel doesn't move at all. :D I doubt seriously if ours is old at all. It's a cool experience, but pretty simple on the inside. A fraternity brother was in town last week on business and his group rented it out. They got lucky and had a cargo ship go by them while on the river. It must have been super cool to have a ship that big go by you so close. Here are a couple of snippets from his video

1664032992941.png

1664032974278.png

1664032933836.png

If my little boat was within a quarter mile of that thing, they wouldn’t be able to see me from the deck!

Anyhow we’re we’re far from the ocean. You won’t see waters like that around here, but we do have the state’s #2 rated sailboat lake, about 90 minutes up the mountain. (Huntington lake)

We went up there a couple years back when they left the water out for plumbing repairs. It was spring and you can still see snow on the shore on the shady side of the mountain. It was strange to go there and see all the boats and docks pulled out of the water. We fished all around the stumps when they were far under water.
434D2A33-9C9E-45BB-A9B6-978C4920C6C8.jpeg

There’s a World War II bomber in the bottom of this lake and we went to see if the tail was sticking out, but nothing. I’m sure it’s all collapsed after 75 years.

I keep trying to find that wreckage on my fishfinder, but no success. I now have a fancier hi-rez unit, So we’ll see what happens. The water is up and fishing season is starting up so I’m going to do some more boating in between the Volkswagen welding and bicycle polishing.

Having fun at the Savannah Jazz Festival tonight.

20220924_214018.jpg

Savannah is built on a bluff where most of the original city is about 3 stories higher than the riverfront. Down on the river we have River Street and the river walk y'all have seen plenty of pics of. At the upper level there is Bay Street which I've taken many pics with buildings there as well. In between those two levels is a couple of levels of "streets" called Factor's Walk. This is behind the River facing original warehouses that have long been turned into bars, restaurants, hotels, and tourist shops. Factor's Walk is sort of the dark underbelly for those places. I've never ridden all of it by bike, but I did the other day. It's a pretty cool and dingy perspective.

1664120192419.jpeg
1664120215518.jpeg
1664120238658.jpeg

1664120279854.jpeg
1664120297491.jpeg

1664120472381.jpeg

With so many tourists, it's not that unusual for my bikes to sort of become a tourist attraction of their own. I've met people from around the country and the world while riding and taking pics of my bikes.

1664120336901.jpeg
1664120372583.jpeg

These guys wanted pics with Uncle Stretch and then I got them to take my pic too.

1664120411168.jpeg

There is an interesting story about the building above this "ramp" down to the river that involves "air rights". I'll fill y'all in on that sometime in the future.

1664120545118.jpeg
1664120575590.jpeg

Turn the sound on for this video of Uncle Stretch enjoying a little jazz last night. This is the same Jazz Festival that was going on 20 years ago this week when Queenfish and I rode our moving van downtown to move into our 1873 rowhouse project house. We joked about them throwing a party for us.

I can imagine the murders that went on at Factors Walk.

The Factor is like your burly accountant
(If he’s not burly he goes with a burly armed friend.) He handles your trading business and arranges the selling and buying with rough sea captains and teamsters.

Things that gentlemen like us would not do, but would hire out.

So, then he has to walk back to the city along the back of the warehouses, where the dealings were done, after business hours, with your money and ledgers.

Lots of chances for skulduggery.

Savannah is built on a bluff where most of the original city is about 3 stories higher than the riverfront. Down on the river we have River Street and the river walk y'all have seen plenty of pics of. At the upper level there is Bay Street which I've taken many pics with buildings there as well. In between those two levels is a couple of levels of "streets" called Factor's Walk. This is behind the River facing original warehouses that have long been turned into bars, restaurants, hotels, and tourist shops. Factor's Walk is sort of the dark underbelly for those places. I've never ridden all of it by bike, but I did the other day. It's a pretty cool and dingy perspective.

View attachment 210613View attachment 210614View attachment 210615

View attachment 210616View attachment 210617

View attachment 210621

With so many tourists, it's not that unusual for my bikes to sort of become a tourist attraction of their own. I've met people from around the country and the world while riding and taking pics of my bikes.

View attachment 210618View attachment 210619

These guys wanted pics with Uncle Stretch and then I got them to take my pic too.

View attachment 210620

There is an interesting story about the building above this "ramp" down to the river that involves "air rights". I'll fill y'all in on that sometime in the future.

View attachment 210622View attachment 210623
Do NOT recommend traversing at night. Sketchy enough during the day but it takes on a different persona at night when all of the overnight residents return

Do NOT recommend traversing at night. Sketchy enough during the day but it takes on a different persona at night when all of the overnight residents return

I agree 100%. It was sketchy enough in broad daylight! :D :D :D

It would probably be the first time that 3 out of the top 5 bikes were together!!!
All we need now is to get @LeMad Hatter and @handyandy1100 down to Savannah too!!!!
I would love to visit Georgia. But if I did, it would most likely be a one way trip. I hear the weather is a mite nicer than Michigan's

I would love to visit Georgia. But if I did, it would most likely be a one way trip. I hear the weather is a mite nicer than Michigan's

In Savannah, you would have to get used to only having snow once every 30 years. :D :D

1664144197314.png

Last edited:
While riding along Factors Walk, I heard some construction going on and could see a gutted section of one of the old River Street warehouses. I couldn't resist being nosy and poked my head in and asked the one carpenter if he would mind if I rolled my bike in for a few pics. Once he saw the bike, he was more than glad to let me. He even suggested that I put it on one of the balconies.

VIDEO inside

1664147034384.jpeg

1664147062276.jpeg

1664147167815.jpeg

1664147119020.jpeg

1664147214748.jpeg
1664147230634.jpeg

VIDEO - The large building is the Westin across the river and at the very end you can see the bridge up river along with a trolley car going down River Street.

Last edited:
I finally finished perusing my way through this thread. What a great build! Nice details everywhere. Lots of thought and attention to detail. I love how you ride your mock-up versions all around town to get a feel for how various parts and iterations hit you. Very cool stuff all the way through and it made for suck a killer build, nice job! And Savannah is a gorgeous town! So many great photo locations. Nice, nice.

Latest posts

Back