πŸπŸ—πŸ‘πŸ• π”π§πœπ₯𝐞 π’π­π«πžπ­πœπ‘ 𝐂𝐨π₯𝐬𝐨𝐧 𝐗𝐋𝐖𝐁 - BO17 Build Journal - Finished in 3rd Place - 1937 Uncle Stretch Colson XLWB

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me neither, so I thought of something:
Keep the legs sticking out above and mount a windshield like those old Police bikes:

I found one from Terminator 2 for that coolness factor :cool:

Love your build so far, that fork is just a beast!

Fun idea, but I'll probably keep it cleaner on the top plate.

I do still have this flexible windshield that @Dbubbleguy sent me years ago, but I'm just not seeing a fairing or windshield for this build's future. It just seems like it would distract from the killer fork.

1655749598898.png

What is the purpose of the extra half pipe on the frame top just behind the seat post tube ?

The 2nd owner of this frame (TikiHarl) added that to mount a grip shifter.
You are chopping that off, right? Pretty sure you said you weren't using it and since it's not original seems like something that needs to go

You are chopping that off, right? Pretty sure you said you weren't using it and since it's not original seems like something that needs to go

Yeah, it's an ugly addition that TikiHarl felt it needed when he owned it. I have different plans for my shifter. Not only is this buggered on piece a visual distraction from the flow of UncleStretch's flow of this frame, but it also is right in the way for the longsprings of these PHAT Lepper saddles to work properly. I hate it. It will probably go at the same time that I trim the fork legs.

Yeah, it's an ugly addition that TikiHarl felt it needed when he owned it. I have different plans for my shifter. Not only is this buggered on piece a visual distraction from the flow of UncleStretch's flow of this frame, but it also is right in the way for the longsprings of these PHAT Lepper saddles to work properly. I hate it. It will probably go at the same time that I trim the fork legs.
Chop chop

It shouldn't be too bad. I plan to have a few threadless steertube spacers between the headset and the top plate. That will give me some adjustment leeway in the length of the forks. I have one of the Park Tool threadless tube saw guides, but it is far to narrow for the outer fork legs. I have a way that I clamp parts in my vise table that allows me to cut a pretty straight line with a cutoff wheel and an angle grinder. Then I can grind any imperfections in the cut afterwards. The fork leg caps cover it anyway.
Why dont you use a proper tube cutter for this? I used asimilar one to cut up the frame for my "Egg-beater" build...
tubecutter.jpg

Why dont you use a proper tube cutter for this? I used asimilar one to cut up the frame for my "Egg-beater" build...
View attachment 197655

I think I'll need something bigger for these 2" fork legs. Might have to get this from Harbor Freight for $15

1655818869252.png

I’ve got a couple of those cutters from my golf club making days, if you need to borrow one

I think these legs may be 2". That would be one big bertha club!!!!! :D

The tubing cutter’s fast but it will mark up your tubing. Use lots of tape on the tube If it’s going to be visible there.

It probably won’t be because of the trees.

I'll keep that in mind too.

I could change the build name to "Smokestack Lightning" :D

I would mount custom bars to the top of the legs and don’t cut them at all. Get rid of the traditional gooseneck.

I think it would do a lot to clean up the complicated front end.

I could always use clip ons like I did last year, but that's not what I want this year.

20210905_150133.jpg

Yeah clip-ons are for racing. They add complications of alignment.

The front end will look much cleaner once I cut the excess fork legs. I haven't decided on my stem yet. I may even still have a Lawless zero offset stem.

1655822978697.png

Or I could get fancy with a coffin stem

1655824663240.png

Those are really nice. I’ve been looking for a stem from my bike with less offset or even zero offset.

I don’t like mine which is why it’s still black and I haven’t bothered to polish it.

More forkin around this evening. Been too busy lately with rental property stuff to touch the bike. But I have been chatting with the Anthony, the maker of the springer fork. He gave me a lot of insight on how to get it all alligned to the height I wanted and the method he uses to cut the tubes.
He marks the top tubes with relief tape and just cuts along that line with a cutoff wheel on an angle grinder. He said that the pipe cutters can leave indentions into the tubing.

So with that knowledge, I knew I still needed to get the fork legs adjusted properly. He gave me some tips on that as well.
He could tell from my last photos that I had the front legs down too far. He said that the gap between the front legs and rear legs should be even all the way up. So I went out this evening to try that and thought I had accomplished it.

20220626_175359.jpg
20220626_175553.jpg
20220626_181217.jpg

Latest posts

Back