The Bishop - (Felt Surf City to Cafe Racer)

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes:

Reaction score
Well, this was a lot more work than I thought it was going to be when I started, but it was a lot of fun, and I learned so much by watching what others were doing. I'm looking forward to this next year, for sure.

The Bishop starte life as a Felt Surf City that I picked up on sale a few years back. Being from Norcal, and living an hour and change from Santa Cruz, it was awkward to have a bike that celebrated Huntington Beach as "Surf City", so stripping this badboy down was an easy decision. But, when you have a big aluminum tank, like this frame does, the only thought I had was "Cafe Racer".

Sourcing parts was a pain at times, because I started late, but eventually they all came in and The Bishop came together.

Without further adieu, here she is.

Polishing the tank was a bear - lots of sanding, buffing and patience. On any given evening, I could be found out in the garage or in the back yard, polishing The Bishop. One Saturday, I spent so much time polishing The Bishop that I could barely hold a golf club the next day. I used an electric drill with a series of buffing pads and buffing compounds to get the right look.

The headlight and tail light have both gone through the LED retrofit process. The headlight is a cheap plastic part that I found on eBay, but it worked out perfectly with the side mounts. The triple tree forks were chrome and polished aluminum, but I wanted some black to contrast up there, so I painted the crowns a flat black to match the frame. The tires are the 24x3 Thick Bricks, mounted to some cheap Weinmann rims.

I took the idea for the double stems from Bean and his epic Bareknuckle Brawler - its a perfect Cafe Racer look. The speedo is functional, and completes the look of the cockpit.

This is a Cafe Racer bike, so the banana seat was a must. I made the sissy bars out of some steel tubing and some springs I got at the hardware store. I stiffened them up with a brace, that is also serving as a mount for my rear light. I re-laced the 24" rim to a Nexus hub, and threw a Shifty ....... on the chain stay.

I have took her to the Shiny Side Up show in San Jose, and she got a lot of looks there - surprisingly, not a lot of cafe racer style bikes at the show, and none with a polished tank.

I also took her out on a little barcycle ride to a local tap room that was pouring my friend's beer (Altamont Beer Works), and lots of people were talking about it in the parking lot. The cup holder is a must for any barcycling ride.

This was a lot of fun to build, and I am already plotting and scheming about a bike to enter next year. In the mean time, I will have a lot of good times with The Bishop, I know that.

kingfish254

CHECK OUT MY SALE THREAD FOR COOL STUFF!
Reaction score
Fun build to follow!
The polish work is insane!
Wicked stance!!!
BRAVO !!!!!!
congRATs!

MazdaFlyer

Like “RadioFlyer”
Reaction score
Nice bike all around, I like the way the Felts ride. Nice seat suspension also.

Reaction score
Siiick bike! You did a good job flipping it to a cafe racer! What kind of banana seat is that??

justride said:
Well, this was a lot more work than I thought it was going to be when I started, but it was a lot of fun, and I learned so much by watching what others were doing. I'm looking forward to this next year, for sure.

The Bishop starte life as a Felt Surf City that I picked up on sale a few years back. Being from Norcal, and living an hour and change from Santa Cruz, it was awkward to have a bike that celebrated Huntington Beach as "Surf City", so stripping this badboy down was an easy decision. But, when you have a big aluminum tank, like this frame does, the only thought I had was "Cafe Racer".

Sourcing parts was a pain at times, because I started late, but eventually they all came in and The Bishop came together.

Without further adieu, here she is.

Polishing the tank was a bear - lots of sanding, buffing and patience. On any given evening, I could be found out in the

This is a Cafe Racer bike, so the banana seat was a must. I made the sissy bars out of some steel tubing and some springs I got at the hardware store. I stiffened them up with a brace, that is also serving as a mount for my rear light. I re-laced the 24" rim to a Nexus hub, and threw a Shifty beep on the chain stay.

I have took her to the Shiny Side Up show in San Jose, and she got a lot of looks there - surprisingly, not a lot of cafe racer style bikes at the show, and none with a polished tank.

I also took her out on a little barcycle ride to a local tap room that was pouring my friend's beer (Altamont Beer Works), and lots of people were talking about it in the parking lot. The cup holder is a must for any barcycling ride.

This was a lot of fun to build, and I am already plotting and scheming about a bike to enter next year. In the mean time, I will have a lot of good times with The Bishop, I know that.