The Blue Streak

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, So it's not blue yet.
Alright guys. Im fully aware im not "in" yet because none of you have taken any interest in my builds or the questions I ask...but im gonna post this up anyway because im too excited and i cant help myself!
Last Saturday I got a major itch to build a muscle bike. I was bound and determined. Sunday rolls around and I was at my Local Flee-market (trader jacks for those fellow pgh'ers on here" and i told my father, now keep an eye out for old bike parts! I went off and typically i come accross (no joke) dozens of old knock-off muscle bikes. There were quite a few schwinn's, one guy had 6 boys and girls stingrays. 3 of each and they were mint. All original too. Well im walknig and I see this super ugly yet great looking muscle bike. A foremost swinger. I walk over to the guy, and from talking to all the other people with muscle bikes there I was expecting a prics of 125+. He ays to me "Well buddy are you interested?" I said "Yeah im interested! I love it!" He had tables and table jammed with every OLD bike part you could find. He had everything from coaster spacers to frame pumps. He was a .... nice guy too. He gues "Well bud you can take her for $15. I said "Seriously?!" He says Yeah and i'll even throw in another sprocket for you!" I was in shock. So, needless to say I bought the bike. We got to talking and he has every part I want for the rat-phoon AND for my foremost. I got his business card and off I went. Now, this bike had new BMX handlebars on it. Those had to go. I got a call from my dad and he says "Hey buddy I just found a seet of Ape Hangers over here for $5." Needless to say, bought them to. I thought it couldnt get any better. It did. I took my new bike and bars home and threw everything together. The rims had a fine coat of rust on them so just for kicks, i got out my wire-wheel and the rust practically fell off. The rear hub cleaned up so beautifully I was in total shock. It looks brand new. Ive been riding it back and forth to work and its a little rough. Got some sanding done on the frame but thats about it. The headlight and generator will NOT be staying. But it has the most peculiar chain guard...definitely not from this bike. Heres the bike i think its truly from: http://www.raleighronsclassics.com/images/AMF_13.jpg A 70 AMF Flying Wedge. Maybe worth some chingle? Maybe. But ive already bought a white-walled front street tire and a white-walled rear SLICK. BOTH of these tires were 10.00 a piece. Found an unbelievable website with the help of a now good friend, atomicclutch.
Plans for this bike are: (As the plans are completed they will be crossed off from the list)
New paint
Front springer
Higher sissy bar and new seat
High-polished chrome
Grips
New Kick stand
Maybe a smaller sprocker, maybe a 3 piece.
New chain guard. Not taking any risks with this one.
Basic re-build bearings, cups, fittings, hardware, etc.
Pics are from when I bought it I'll post up up-dated pics tomorrow:
Foremost1.jpg

foremost2.jpg

Foremost3.jpg

Foremostwheel.jpg

^This is how nice the chrome was BEFORE polish :D :shock: ^
This will be updated everyday.
Thanks for tuning in, RFC.

Looks Sweet! Are you going with a metallic blue?? I like the look of a one piece crank as long as it has a cool looking sproket. Good luck with your project. :lol:

veewee25 said:
Looks Sweet! Are you going with a metallic blue?? I like the look of a one piece crank as long as it has a cool looking sproket. Good luck with your project. :lol:
Thanks for the kind words. Not a metallic blue, an old school lighter blue. And I think I like the one piece, i just need longer crank arms. These short ones are seriously hurting how fast I go and how musch further I can push with one rotation.

Markm said:
right on!!!!
8) 8) 8)
Thanks!
Floyd said:
I like it. Has a great look! Tell me more about that flea market. every Sun?
Thanks, I thought so too but everyone called me crazy. I see such potential with this piece. And yes, every saturday and sunday but saturdays are crummy. Sundays are usually packed. Its right down the road from Chartiers Valley Highschool. If you know how to get there or around that are it's seriously not hjard at all to find the place. They have ome pretty good deals down there. I own about 34 bicycles. I bought every one of them down there. And I didnt pay over 25 dollars for any of them.

We all care very much about this bike! Woot! Total sarcasm. lol
Not much of an update but it makes the bike look about 10,000x better and a hella lot more original.
Its dull, its rusty and she cleaned up Georgeously. I'll post up a pic of it clean when i up-date rat-phoon.
stem.jpg

Thanks for the flea market tip! I went yesterday. No good bike stuff but my vintage die cast car collection benefited well!

Floyd said:
Thanks for the flea market tip! I went yesterday. No good bike stuff but my vintage die cast car collection benefited well!
Man go today! Today will be the big one. Saturdays arent good. At all. Sundays are the great ones. You will NOT be disappointed.
Unchained said:
Neat bike! I really like the guard.
Thanks, Im sure that chain guard isnt for my bike though. All though it is freakin' sweet, I wanna see what it's worth and maybe sell her off and buy a real sick one. I think that guard is for a 70 AMF flying wedge. But im not sure...yet :lol:

dragsterIII said:
nice muscle bike there :D love the chain guard! what color seat are you thinking of?
Thanks. And definitely looking into a black banana.

That chain guard is huge! You should keep it on there. Makes the bike look very cool. I had short cranks on the bike I'm working on. Had to get some longer ones. You've got a nice project going on.
Sean

[/quote]
Thanks for the kind words. Not a metallic blue, an old school lighter blue. And I think I like the one piece, i just need longer crank arms. These short ones are seriously hurting how fast I go and how musch further I can push with one rotation.[/quote]

J&B sells 1 piece cranks that go up to 180MM. Check with your local bike shop,and good luck with the bike! :D

sean138 said:
That chain guard is huge! You should keep it on there. Makes the bike look very cool. I had short cranks on the bike I'm working on. Had to get some longer ones. You've got a nice project going on.
Sean
Thanks man. I know, It makes the bike look so neat. She's the cats pajamas!
Bigcam59 said:
J&B sells 1 piece cranks that go up to 180MM. Check with your local bike shop,and good luck with the bike! :D
Thanks for the info, I'll call my local south park cycles, see what they can hook me up with.

Latest posts

Back