BO15 The Bluebird of Happiness

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20200726_172307 (1).jpg

Greetings from Hunterdon County New Jersey! This is my first Build Off. I rehab/restore bikes for women out of my home garage and organize a vintage bike ride called The Red Mill Retro Ride in Clinton NJ. I am also a curator at a local history museum. My Dad gifted me with a love of all things bicycle and the skills to get creative with them.

Although our museum remains closed to the public because of the COVID-19 situation the other curator and I have still been working. I needed to take some time off and, since there would be no traveling to visit Grandkids this year, I decided that would spend my Staycation on my entry into the 2020 Build Off.

I purchased this Dayton bike about a month ago. She spoke to me the moment I saw her. I love her lines, colors and patina. The plan is to clean her up without losing any of her story and character. I want to replace the wheelset with a 2 speed kickback set. I have two options. A modern alloy rim set with a Sturmey Archer 2S Hub or a vintage steel rim option with a Torpedo Duomatic hub. I'll probably try both then decide. I like to do a sort of Retro/Mod build combining old and new components. There are so many other ideas flying around my head but I will let time determine what I can accomplish.

This is a German Polar Bear frame with a Nexus 7 wheelset that I did last year. One of my all time favorite bikes for the build and the ride. I'm just posting it to show off a bit. I hope I'm as happy with The Bluebird of Happiness when she is done.

20190921_085123.jpg

I found the serial number. Based on that and the New Departure hub/coaster brake on the wheelset I'm calling it at 1947. That means it is officially the oldest bike I own right now.

That is one cool old lady!

1598379918394.png

The torpedo light was quite the project to remove. it was rusted solid. In the end I was able to chip away the plastic plate between the light and the fender and get a hack saw in there to cut it off. I've wanted to do a bike with a fender mascot for quite some time. Rather than replace the light I think I'll make a mascot for this little bluebird.

20200822_153518.jpg

20200824_113856.jpg

I. worked on drive train today. It was alot of fiddling but I got the modern 2 speed wheel property installed only to figure out that the axle of the matcing front wheel was too big! Sigh.... Had to spend time in the storage garage trying to find a wheel the right size with a smaller axle. In the end I found a steel one with a cool front hub. I'm pretty sure that is staying but that may influence me to change the rear wheel to the vintage one with the Torpedo Duomatic. I failed to take pics today. I was trying to get her rolling so I could bring her over to my friend to be pinstriped tomorrow. Here is the pic I took when I dropped her off. Not too sure about that stem but I know I'm not using those handlebars!

20200825_161657 (1).jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back