The Buccaneer

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes:

Reaction score
The pile-o-hub scares me. You're the Man.
:dontmentionit:

Going through the sprocket collection I pulled this classic out of its sleeve. Got if for free on combo deal cause it was engraved. Putting it on my ride specifically for the name on it!
nick lego.jpg

Love this kind of stuff.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The pile-o-hub scares me. You're the Man.
Ditto what he said. I have a 3SC here that skips in 2nd gear. I looked at the exploded view, followed the directions for taking it apart as far as I dared, tried to clean and lube it best I could... managed to get it back together and it still skips in 2nd gear. I do NOT have the courage to tear it down that far.

Reaction score
Ditto what he said. I have a 3SC here that skips in 2nd gear. I looked at the exploded view, followed the directions for taking it apart as far as I dared, tried to clean and lube it best I could... managed to get it back together and it still skips in 2nd gear. I do NOT have the courage to tear it down that far.
Sometimes, it might not be internal. Could be a shifter assembly issue to. Strike everything from the shifter back including the pushrod and try again.
I once placed an axle key in backwards and it worked partially, skipped in one gear I recall.

Hope ya'll get stuffed! Starved after a good ride.
Said a prayer before our Thanksgiving meal.

We celebrate with those we love,
we thank you O heavenly Father,
for all your gifts to us.
for life and health,
for love and support, and for food and drink sat before us.
May we remember to thank you each day.
Amen

I've been pondering and calculating mostly. Something's come up that's going to keep me from biking for a long time :cry:
Changed frames several times, 1st choice is still the Rollfast. My parts guys has gotten very ill from Covid, no wheels.
fender.jpg

This used to be my happy place when there were less bikes and parts around. Now I want the space back!:arghh:

Captain Awesome

👑 Lord of Irrelevance 👑
Staff member
Reaction score
Something's come up that's going to keep me from biking for a long time :cry:
Changed frames several times, 1st choice is still the Rollfast. My parts guys has gotten very ill from Covid, no wheels.
Chin up. One day at a time!

Oldbiscuit

RRB Supporter
Pro Member
Reaction score
That’s not a phone number, that’s somebody’s social security number. If you really cared, you would delete that picture. How would you like your number posted on the web for all to see ?

Reaction score
That’s not a phone number, that’s somebody’s social security number. If you really cared, you would delete that picture. How would you like your number posted on the web for all to see ?
You're right, I can't believe I missed that! I've NEVER seen a SS# on any parts before! Now it's even more intriguing to me. Back in the day our SS# was publicly posted in school so we could track our test results. How I was able to memorize mine.

Thanks @Oldbiscuit, fixed:wink1:

Nick, hit me up!

@sandman, you wouldn't believe what's under my bed if you like what you see in the BG:21:

Oldbiscuit

RRB Supporter
Pro Member
Reaction score
You're right, I can't believe I missed that! I've NEVER seen a SS# on any parts before! Now it's even more intriguing to me. Back in the day our SS# was publicly posted in school so we could track our test results. How I was able to memorize mine.

Thanks @Oldbiscuit, fixed:wink1:

Nick, hit me up!

@sandman, you wouldn't believe what's under my bed if you like what you see in the BG:21:
I’m old enough to remember when people, myself included used to put our SS # on all our tv’s and stereos and bikes and tools in case they were stolen. Back then nobody gave a thought to identify theft.

Reaction score
I’m old enough to remember when people, myself included used to put our SS # on all our tv’s and stereos and bikes and tools in case they were stolen. Back then nobody gave a thought to identify theft.
I wonder if that was a regional thing to do. I've collected and fixed a lot of vintage items from my area. I've seen names, phone numbers, addresses and bizarre undecipherable codes, no clear SS#. I didn't put a lot of thought into the numbers or bother to search further. I figured someone would recognize the 9 digits. I know my number but would have to count in my head if asked on the spot how many digits make a SS#.
I haven't been able to connect with any owners. I know the state where the sprocket originated from. Might look into the SS# code...
Bots can't easily read pics and I doubt many people look at my posts anyway:grin:

Quick search. Done in my state. Makes sense. surprised I haven't see the number more often. Perhaps they were scrubbed before reaching me. I wasn't told to use a SS# for theft recovery reasons, I'm from the 70's. My parents never used theirs for the purpose.

Last edited:
Reaction score
That canoe I've shared pics of has my dad's Social Insurance Number (Canadian version of Social Security) engraved on it. I should check on the Nishiki I liberated from his shed.

Reaction score
Ah, Canadians cast long SINs...
C'mon Gee, you can do better than that. Have a similar story to share? You gotta to throw down in my threads(contribute)... you heard.

Speaking of hubs earlier, tell us about your profile pic, the Falcon:nerd:
I'm viewing the site in dark mode, things standout... different.

Reaction score
That's how my identity got stolen and it wasn't out there in public view take that stuff down .
And don't give that info to anyone .

Reaction score
I still have some old Operation Identification engravers. There were the blue plastic electric engravers and manual engravers with hard tips in handles like Exacto knives. I do like your sprocket with a history.

Reaction score
That canoe I've shared pics of has my dad's Social Insurance Number (Canadian version of Social Security) engraved on it. I should check on the Nishiki I liberated from his shed.
Thanks for sharing Matti.

That's how my identity got stolen and it wasn't out there in public view take that stuff down .
And don't give that info to anyone.
No one's getting any info.

I still have some old Operation Identification engravers. There were the blue plastic electric engravers and manual engravers with hard tips in handles like Exacto knives. I do like your sprocket with a history.
I had those engravers. My father had a red one he used on everything! I wrote my name and address on the inside of my wheels as well. We had the same phone number and address for decades. All my current wheel builds include my name, email address, date and wheel build data under the rim strips.
I restore vintage audio gear as well. I have a vintage McIntosh amplifier complete with papers. I traced the amp back to the original owner and even learned a little about him from his radio days before he passed away. Somehow, I feel a connection. I listen to the same music he did when I'm building bikes. The history of the components I use, the old tools I make things with have significance to me. It feels good whenever handling quality tools that have been passed down. I'm aware of where many of the bicycles parts came from.

I'm sure wherever Nick is, he'd appreciate that something from his pride and joy is being put to good use.
I have several stories including a seat sold to me by the daughter of Ben's Cycles and how thrilled she was to learn I was having fun with it. She said her father would be just as happy for me. I think about that when I'm riding.
Pic of Ben's shop.
Bens cycles.jpg

Reaction score
I remember the advice to put SS#'s on valuable items. I remember getting test scores by SS number all the way into college. Early 70's for college. Run into the random etched SS # every once in a while. Not so often these days though. Doesn't matter now though because all our names and SS #'s are available on the dark web or down at the Chinese Embassy. I just use my inherent good looks as my identifier now. That's not working as well as I would like.

Reaction score
I'll stick with carving my initials and contact into stuff. Got this far unaware about such SSN usage. Now I'll prolly start seeing more social security numbers on items:bigsmile:

I used to memorize students SS numbers to compare their scores quickly, sort of a game. Interesting how I have to visualize the first 5 digits every time when asks to proved the last 4. Always a slight pause. Not the case with the last 4 of phone numbers.

Hope Nick's bike wasn't stolen.... eek
I gotta go.

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing Matti.

No one's getting any info.

I had those engravers. My father had a red one he used on everything! I wrote my name and address on the inside of my wheels as well. We had the same phone number and address for decades. All my current wheel builds include my name, email address, date and wheel build data under the rim strips.
I restore vintage audio gear as well. I have a vintage McIntosh amplifier complete with papers. I traced the amp back to the original owner and even learned a little about him from his radio days before he passed away. Somehow, I feel a connection. I listen to the same music he did when I'm building bikes. The history of the components I use, the old tools I make things with have significance to me. It feels good whenever handling quality tools that have been passed down. I'm aware of where many of the bicycles parts came from.

I'm sure wherever Nick is, he'd appreciate that something from his pride and joy is being put to good use.
I have several stories including a seat sold to me by the daughter of Ben's Cycles and how thrilled she was to learn I was having fun with it. She said her father would be just as happy for me. I think about that when I'm riding.
Pic of Ben's shop.
View attachment 179316
Can you imagine leaving your bicycle unlocked on the sidewalk as a couple appear to be in this old photo?

Reaction score
C'mon Gee, you can do better than that. Have a similar story to share? You gotta to throw down in my threads(contribute)... you heard.

Speaking of hubs earlier, tell us about your profile pic, the Falcon:nerd:
I'm viewing the site in dark mode, things standout... different.
Hmm... such numbers are a nightmare for me, remembering a four number PIN is enough stress as it is. The direct road to my memory is a narrow and rocky one, and it is easy to get lost there, especially when under pressure. When I used to work in the office I had a game where I tell my workmates all the names of the people I could remember in the nearby offices, which was about 15 people. I would remember about 10, a different 10 each time, and I had worked with many for at least a decade.
So here in Poland I have a PESEL number, but I wouldn't even recognise it if I saw it up in lights.
On the other hand, if I step away from the detail I can see the vistas of data connectivity like landscapes, and bore you for hours about what I can see... ;)

So, the Falcon gear hub, it is the only one I have, original equipment on my Romet Zenit Jubilat folder. It is back on my bench again, but will do a brief appearance on my current build off, as I have a strange fascination for the three speed nature of it. I could pull gears off another hub to replicate it, but I wouldn't, or add gears to this, but I wouldn't do that either.

I would like to buy more Falcon stuff as I know it came as original equipment on the higher quality Romet's, but I just can't fuss the extra clutter that would generate in my workshop.

Still... the right price, the right opportunity...

Reaction score
Can you imagine leaving your bicycle unlocked on the sidewalk as a couple appear to be in this old photo?
Anecdote, I rode the green drag fork bike pictured earlier to the post office leaving it unattended. Everyone in town knows me, including all the cops. A woman rushed in excitedly asking who's bike is that, it can't be left unlocked!! I replied miss, that's mine and no one would be brazen enough to touch it or could possibly ride it but me. If anyone dare take my bike they'd better get to the county border quick! The entire police force would be after it, followed by the FD and EMS to save that poor soul after being caught!:bigsmile:

@GeePig My memory is deteriorating at an alarming rate. It affects everything from communications to making things, a reason I store ideas in my posts. I've been recently tested, awaiting results... I can still hear my mother telling me though about cooking with aluminum pots!

The Falcon although nothing particularly special, has eluded me. I have an extensive hub/parts kit collection. It's fascinating stuff to me. I modify older hubs to improve performance, sometimes destroying them in the process.
Thank you for sharing, these conversations are relative to my build approach.

I evaluate BMX tires, have a large collection. So I see in @Bike from the Dead's build a nice tire I wasn't aware of. Ironically, he discovered it searching for a tire I suggested. Had to have a Prowler of my own:happy:

It's a folding tire making it lighter than wire beads. I prefer wire because some folding tires have a tendency to blow off older rims at high pressure. Folding tires according to BFTD are easier to mount, I can relate. Getting a set of wire bead Maxxis Holy Rollers on a Sun Rhyno Lite rim can be a chore with soapy water and tire levers!

Love zig-zag tread, rare to see in 20''. I typically go for tires with an unbroken center line for reduced rolling resistance. Wondering if it'll make a sound with a center zig-zag groove. Overall quality looks decent. No opinion on tire casting ATM. The prowler has a lower quality rubber compound compared to more high-end tires in the same price range. Cool tire for muscle bike builds tho. Unsure how to remove the lettering. Label appears vulcanized on.
Tire weight = 635g. 60mm width @ 65 PSI on a 40mm wide rim. $35 MSRP
prowler.jpg

IMG_20211127.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts