THE BUDDHA BUILD

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I retract my previous statement. With the front end on it doesn't look out of place at all.

MAN! That bike is awesome! :shock: Reminds me of the Bowden Spacelander:
BradPiedtsbike.jpg

http://www.43bikes.com/bowden.html
Great work!!

I finally got the spokes in and tensioned. I still have a long ways to go. I'm still trying to design an eight speed shifter. I had always planned to mount it to the frame hub, but have now decided to try and make one that will mount on top of the frame. The reason for this is that I don't want to see the cable. I'll post pictures of the shifter build if I ever get that far.
IMGP3334.jpg

IMGP3330.jpg

Uncle Stretch said:
Man its really coming together. How hard was it to get all the differant lengths of spokes. Super nice build.
I get spokes shorter than 300mm from Dans Comp. They've never complained when I give 15 or more different lengths and they still only charge me .20 a spoke. The longer spokes come from Rocky Mountain High Wheel in Colorado. They cost quite a bit, but without them these bikes wouldn't happen.

are you going to clip the top of the spokes, or just let them stick out?

I've been working on the shifter this week. This was my first actual project using the new lathe and mill. The shifter will mount on top of the backbone and control the Sturmey Archer 8 speed hub. There is a ball spring plunger inside that is supposed to index each gear. I didn't quite design it properly and there wasn't enough room to make the indentions large enough to engage the ball solid. I've got a few ideas on how to make it work. I'll hopefully get it mounted tomorrow and take a few more pictures.

Started with a 3 inch diameter piece of aluminum.
IMGP3344.jpg

IMGP3345.jpg

IMGP3346.jpg

Then I split the piece in half to form the base of the shifter.
IMGP3347.jpg

IMGP3349.jpg

These are some internal pieces I made.
IMGP3350.jpg

IMGP3352.jpg

IMGP3353.jpg

I hooked the original shifter to the new shifter to get the right placement of the indentions and the cable clamp.
IMGP3354.jpg

Here I'm making the shifter knob.
IMGP3355.jpg

IMGP3356.jpg

Here it is almost completed.
IMGP3357.jpg

looks sweet, i wish i had a lathe.

Latest posts

Back