The Colson Clone-video added 1-1-08 (Happy New Year to all)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hooch, Paul decided that he hated to chop up the '37 Colson frame you sold him, but he really liked the style of the frame.

So instead of cutting up the original he decided to use it for a template to come up with something similar - only with a 6" stretch to get those pedals out there.

So this is a "tease" photo he sent me of the initial work he's done on it. More to follow as the work progresses.

DSCF0004.jpg

Re: The Colson Clone

Paul kept working on the Colson clone today and he just sent me a new photo of his progress.

He said he made the back end (chain stay) wide enough and long enough to handle just about any size tire.

I have only seen the pictures myself, but it's looking good so far.

DSCF0001.jpg

Okay, no sooner did I post that last picture than I got two more from Paul.

Here's the bike mocked up with some wheels and a springer.

He said if it rides as good as it sits and looks, it will be "the one" - and replace OJ - his original orange bike that has the triple tree forks on it.

That one has all of his "good stuff" on it - 3 speed Nexus, crank, pedals, seat, etc., so that stuff may eventually end up on this bike.

THA13.jpg

THA12.jpg

wow there is alot of room back there I have a 26 x 3 tire which would be cool in that frame!
cant wait to see one of his videos riding it!
Steve started an obsession with you guys hahaha

I NEED A FRAME LIKE THAT! I'm 6ft 8ins tall. Where do I put in my order? Lol

Paul said there was actually enough room to run a 4 wide tire - assuming anyone made one that wide.

And yes, Steve did get me and Paul messing with bikes again - after who knows how long. So it's become a fun past time for both of us.

FOB - at 6' 8" you may need one stretched even more! :D

It's all a matter of how much chain you can get together, haha, since these suckers take about 2 Wally World chains.

Yeah, we've used those garage door opener chains on a couple of the bikes - including the very first one Paul built - which is probably still my favorite. That one also has the top tube built from a piece of the T-bar rail from the same old garage door opener.

Unfortunately we each had one old garage door opener laying around, so since then it's been pieceing store bought chains together to get one long enough.

this really has me thinking. i love the idea of paterning a custom frame off of a vintage frame. a friend of mine is very interested in getting into frame building i think there is a market here to be had for all. awsome work cant wait to see this one done.

Boy, they offered a bunch of different color combinations, didn't they. I always thought guys bikes were red or black and ladies bikes were blue and that was it.

Oh, and of course if you owned an English Racer like my neighbor did, those were always black.

Speaking of black, Paul said he was thinking about going with black on this one, but we'll see. Sometimes it's just whatever hits him at the time.

That bike looks really good. I dig Colsons and the catalog images are really helpful, I have the girl's frame, fork, bars and seat from those pages, but the paint is worn off, no idication what color it was.

l_c0a35fa7088ebf0229dfb528e8ec7d13.jpg

BikesOct31049.jpg

HeyHo Dad!
I really love this stretched cruiser look! With that forwarded crank your bike must be very very ridable just with a low seat, genius! Very slick for a vintage style, daddy ;)

Goerk

Latest posts

Back