The Columbian

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought this bike back in December last year and been thinkin about what to do with it. So here we go im gonna try a build off bike :D . I think this is a 50,s something Columbia. The hub in the back is pretty gummy feeling, so i got a girls Sears free spirit with a Sturmy Archer 3 speed with a coaster brake works pretty good. That will be goin on as soon as i figure out how long of spokes i need.
HPIM5899.jpg

The frame was a little tweeked in the back but i think i have it back in line.

all mine are a little bent i think. i still remember mocking up "the higgins with the 24x3 and realizing that it was bent bad in the middle. after a few times jumping up and down on the frame it was mostly good. have fun and good luck :mrgreen:

Yea i put mine in the bench vice then hooked some bar clamps up to it and pulled down. Then i noticed that right behind the seat post it went out to the right about a 1/4 of an inch so i hooked it up a little diferent way and got it close :mrgreen:

Had the day off work today and got some work done on the Columbian, i took the wire wheel to it and got some paint off of it. Had to do some frame straightening. Just hooked it to the vice and started clamping and pulling its better than what it was. Had to pound a few dents out of the fenders and a little bondo, they also look alot better. check it out
HPIM6611.jpg
HPIM6612.jpg

I think it cool how this frame is one bar all the way back
HPIM6569-1.jpg

Oh yea i scored the head light from the swap meet a couple of months ago :mrgreen:

uh oh parts pics to get everyone nervous :D i like the head light those are uber rare nice going

Well i got some deer skin for the seat friday ( The Tandy Leather Company) looks pretty cool, and a shifter lever its a top fuel dragster parachute release lever made out of aluminum kinda cool. Im sorry i havnt got pics tonight but i will update tommorrow. Have a nice day :D

I got my seat cover on my seat yesterday, its deer skin i think it looks kinda cool but know i have to find a color to match the seat.
HPIM6638.jpg
i also got a shifter that will i need to find a place for on the frame. Should work out pretty good.
HPIM6640.jpg

Well ive been kinda lazy workin on this bike but i did get some color on it.
HPIM6646.jpg
HPIM6642.jpg
HPIM6647.jpg

I did get a crazy lookin springer from the bike show last weekend, and i have a shifter idea that i think might be cool enough to work pics will be comin soon on that.

Ok guys and gals its been a while since i posted on this thing, basically it has been kickin my but on trying to fix a linkage for my shifter :oops: I gotta figure it out before i freek out. I will get some pics when i am sober up and maybe somebody can help me out. It cant be that hard :mrgreen:

Here are some pics of what i got done today, basically just the front end, put the paint on and tried to get the wheel on but i think the guy that designed this thing was nuts :mrgreen:. Anyway i got the front wheel built and installed plus the fender and the head light,still waiting for the spokes for the back wheel ( thats a long story) better be here soon because its close to the deade line :? sofar i think it will be a cool ride.
HPIM6944.jpg
HPIM6942.jpg
I( gota get this thing done because Uncle Stretch has his done and he is old HEHEHE

O.K its done> I bring to you the Columbian, i guess not really a Rat Rod maybe a custom resto :mrgreen: check it out.
aug09014.jpg
aug09093.jpg
aug09074.jpg
aug09040.jpg
aug09031.jpg

Till tryin to sort out the bugs with the Sturmy 3 speed but that will be done tonight :D

Latest posts

Back