The Eliminators: Wife's Bike revamped

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everybody,
Kinda hinted about this build when making the "Little Guy's" Schwinn sting ray: Mag Ray
IMG_4974II.jpg

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=48122&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=15

Wanted a cool muscle bike so I could ride with the little guy and Mag Ray this spring
My Dad bought me a new 1970 Murray Eliminator F3 MarkII when I was a 10 years old.
This was my exact bike (thanks for the picture member MurrayEliminator).

1970MurrayEliminatorF3Mk1.jpg

When doing Mag Ray, my friend Terry (did the part stripping for free, thanks again) said “Aren’t you going to build a bike like you had?” I said no, they are too small. A side note: when I was 10 years old and Terry was 14, I wouldn’t let him ride my new bike. Didn’t want to let “the big kids” ride it, they might wreck it. :lol: It took about 7 years before he forgave me and we’ve been hanging out ever since (~40 years now).

So now, going to build The Eliminator. Thought about perfect restoration like many of Murray Eliminator’s bike (truly incredible!) but again, a ~ 6foot tall guy can’t (or shouldn’t , lol) ride a 20” inch bike (unless they’re having fun, of course).
IMG_4934II.jpg

Knew I wanted a different Big and Little tire combo. 24” wheels were a must (for my arthritic knees).
Also, run coaster only. The original weight was 49 lbs. I don’t remember it being that heavy. Do remember not being able to ride a wheel very well. So a lighter bike was another goal. Need to use original shifter and frame too.

Talked with member Loco Joe (thanks Randy) about the width and shape of the frame thanks to his Western Flyer Buzz bike (cool)
http://vanscyoc.net/blog/pages/bike_pho ... Buzz_Bike/

So I bought a frame and fork from member J South (thanks).
Murrrayeliminatorframe.jpg

Started thinking about taller a wheel that might fit. Talked with member Murray Eliminator (thanks) about hubs and used his extensive resources to see that there was a 24” rear tire on an Eliminator. He has such a fantastic collection! 8) 8) :mrgreen:
24inchElimin.jpg

Also saw a Sears spider with 24” on front and rear.
24inchsearsspyder.jpg

So decided to go with a 24” Jerald slick in the rear. The Jerald slick is 2.125 but has a thread width of 1.5 so it fits tightly into the frame.

Knew I needed to move the 24” rear wheel out farther than the drop out would allow. The drop out is perfect for modifying due to its flat plate design. Confirmed with a colleague (who helped on the Spaceliner a bit) that making/modifying the drop outs was possible.

Next, more about wheel/tire combinations.
Thanks for looking.

Re: The Eliminator

If I'm understanding you correct, you want to put a 24" wheel on the back of that 20" Twister V Frame?... If so without some major mods & frame.welding it won't fit. it's not only the rear drop out that would need to be changed but also the seat tube would need to be lengthened, and the top rail lengthened, you would be better off in the long run to find a 24" Murray Eliminator

I know, it's rather crazy but I think it can work. The proportions may be off as you say.
It won't be as nice as the original lines. Always open for a change in plans...

Im 6'1 and Ive rode this thing miles at a time. Peeps tend to get whiplash but I ride it all the time.

0773.jpg

The 24" Elimintors do show up, but they are not as common as the 20" bikes. the most common ones are the western flyer badged bikes called the Wild one" They came in lemon lime fade as a coaster 1 speed, the 3 speed was red to yellow candy fade and the 5 speeds where blue. I still have the frame & fork from this 24" Gambles bike i parted out, but I would need to get 100 out of it because the original paint is in such nice condition.

eliminator020.jpg

Hey Guys,
Knew I'd get some strong opinions about this bike and especially my 6 foot guy on 20” bike comment :lol:
MplsCoaster said:
a ~ 6foot tall guy can’t (or shouldn’t , :lol: ) ride a 20” inch bike (unless they’re having fun, of course).
Hey Chevy,
chevyshwsnbikes said:
Im 6'1 and Ive rode this thing miles at a time. Peeps tend to get whiplash but I ride it all the time.
If you can ride it, more power to ya! :mrgreen: I wish I could ride one but my arthritic knees scream at me too loud if I mistreat them :lol: BTW I like the longer fork you put on and the nice wide rear slick.

Thanks Randy. Hopefully it doesn’t disappoint.

Murray Eliminator, PM sent.

Plans might be changing...
Thanks for looking

Hey Schwinnray,
Thanks, I hope the next part will meet your Big and Littles approval :lol:

So while some things are pending, I'll continue with my other plans

I’m a huge fan of Big and Little’s but less of tall and smaller (though others make it work really well).
So I went back and forth with a 20 inch front wheel (and how thin of tire was available) and 24” front wheel (and how I’d pull that off).
Used a Kenda Kwest 20x1.5 high pressure tire on Mag Ray but I'm not the biggest Kenda fan.
The 26” wheel represented the total height of the 24” Jerald slick (~25"OD). First 20”fork then 26”fork( for a bit more rake)
26wheel20fork.jpg

26wheeland26fork.jpg

Didn’t really like either. So thought maybe matching 24” fork and wheel tire on front.
Found out about 24” wheels. ISO 507 are the older sting rays, older youth road bikes and new youth hybrids.
Unfortunately there are only several choices for purchase of a thin wheel/tire set.
Closest could find for an aluminum rim was Wheelmaster with 1.75 width rim.
Trek has a nice 24” wheel on its FX 24 but not available through the dealer unless warranty (bummer).

TrekFX24.jpg

Limited tire choices were 24x1.5 (narrowest) Kenda Kwest ($20), Specialized Nimbus ($30), Bontrager H2 ($20 and nicest IMHO) and Schwalbe Kojak ($50).

If I wanted a thinner tire, have to go to modern BMX/Recumbent size (ISO 520).
They have some very nice wheels but are severely pricey. Could get all the way down to 23mm (.9”) tire width though.

Recumbent24wheel.jpg

Rethought the size and tried a 27” road bike fork and 26” narrow wheel. Didn’t seem to look right but still shorter (~24”) than the Jerald slick (~25”).
So I bought a 24” inch fork and thought more about the 24” wheel. Just wanted a stronger/light/cheaper wheel than the Recumbents.
Put the 26” wheel from my 2010 Giant Boulder SE and it looked good with the Primo Racer 26X1” tire.
Found out about a used Specialized 26” high end MTB wheel for $40 at my LBS. Very narrow like my Giant and bought it.
I struggled with the look of the 27” fork though. It looked too “Cartoonish”. (20” inch fork and wheel underneath)

IMG_5124II.jpg

So after getting the 24”Nexus Wheel (more in next post) in the mail, mounted the Jerald slick and tried the Specialized 26” wheel and 26X1’ tire with the 24” fork. I think it looks pretty good for price/time/effort. (please excuse the messy basement)
Img_5129III.jpg

With the Slick inflated, the axle ends up on the bottom of the bracket so I have (maybe had) a bolt-on, non-destructive, aluminum plate drop out design that my colleague thinks will work. It would also strengthen the dropout for not much of a weight penalty.

Wheelframedropout.jpg

So mock up is done. The tire setup “should” work. Now the hard part, getting it to work :lol:
Like the proportions of the 24" bike better. Easier to ride too.
We'll see how that goes...

Next the Nexus hub/hardware to Shimano 333 nondestructive adaption. Got an idea on how to make it work
Sissy bar has to move to the drop out too.
Then the color scheme idea.
Thanks for looking

Hey Murray Eliminator
Murray-Eliminator said:
I will dig out that frame. it's in storage.
Sounds good. Its a good change and I'll practice my painting on another frame.

aka_locojoe said:
Where you're at now looks really cool.
Glad your like the direction, even with the change I can still do something similar AND it will be easier to ride.

On a side note, as soon as I mentioned buying Murray's frame to my wife, she instantly "dibs'd" the 20" inch frame.
Looks like we got another build in the que. I'm a lucky man :D

Re: The Eliminator Tire/Wheel Combo 17Jan12

Here are the Pictures of the frame/ Fork. what you see is what you get! It's hard to get the depth and luster of the candy colors in pictures, it looks really nice in person. if your planning on repainting it, you may want to wait on a frame that has trashed paint. You can prob get one for around 50.00! The money in this frame is in the condition of the original paint..Price is $100.00 plus shipping. let me know. Thanks. Eddie. [email protected]

24x20MurrayFrame005.jpg

24x20MurrayFrame006.jpg

24x20MurrayFrame007.jpg

24x20MurrayFrame008.jpg

24x20MurrayFrame009.jpg

24x20MurrayFrame010.jpg

24x20MurrayFrame009-1.jpg

Looks good! 8)

Your getting that frame! :shock: That's awesome :mrgreen:

Thanks Eddie for all the pictures and the comparison. It is, as always, an education, which I appreciate.

Yes Nick, the details are being worked out.

Now have to get the rest of my plan working.
Will post some stuff about the shifter this weekend. I'm currently doing the math on the shifter conversion.

Now I'm thinking about staying with the smaller 20" cranks. The 24" has longer ones.
Think I would have more leg room with the smaller length but would need more torque to pop wheelies :D More math is needed...
Didn't take pictures Nick, but after going through Mag Ray's hub, I took it in the alley, sat on the sissy bar, and rode (shortly) a wheelie :lol:

Thanks for looking.

Re: The Eliminator 24"frame/slick shifter/nexus

Got the 24" frame Saturday so started throwing parts at it to see what it could look like
First, the Jerald slick on the Nexus wheel have plenty of room :D
Could maybe stuff a fender in between if someone wanted to.
Or maybe get a 2.8" sectional width tire in there up to the curve in the frame
IMG_5177II.jpg

Next, tore apart the 333 and Nexus shifters, cranks and measuring the hub throw
Measured and sketch everything, found the shifter throws were very close
The Nexus hub has a spring-loaded pin which allows for more detent tolerance, smart!
So after reading several other threads here about the subject, just hooked it up
Dr Tankstein's comment about hooking up a 333 twist grip was fantastic, Thanks Dr!
Shift numbers on the eliminator shifter are just a loosely adhered plastic piece
Need to make a reversed plate and put it on, don't mind the shifter being a a different position
Could still make a second pulley bolt on and reverse it but not that ambitious
Have a bunch of photos so if anyone wants them or the measurements
IMG_5164II.jpg

IMG_5188II.jpg

Going to mount a chainring, crank, and chain to check the shifter/hub under load.
Going to break this into 2 posts, Thanks for looking so far

Re: The Eliminator Color scheme, mock up

Thought about my orignal color plan that was blue and yellow
It was going to be a combo of ideas
EliminatorPaintScheme.jpg

So made a made a quick and crude sketch while waiting last week
IMG_5147II.jpg

Since then, looked at the original bike scheme and think it was more orange than yellow
The proportions are more for the 20" and wouldn't cut the head tube and reweld at a great angle so anyway
So I tried a quick mock up with the parts I had previosly together
I wanted to see what the 26" front tire might look like, Not sure about the angle of the frame
IMG_5187II.jpg

Thought more about the 20" so used the rough stingray wheel and bought a 1.5" wide tire
Put on a 26" crank which may have too long a crank for comfortable riding
So here is what I have so far but not sure how I want to do it yet
It's a lot different that my original idea, especially color but got the big slick in!
IMG_5193II.jpg

The seat is 33" off the floor so I doesn't look too tall for the frame
Went with the 21" black seat just to see what it would look like
Then went with black pedals and grips to match, without the fenders I kinda like it...

So going to get the 24" fork stripped and painted the tangerine color and see how that looks
Then figure out if 20" or 26" front wheel and mask/paint the rims
21" seat looks too long but 18 too short, have to think about it.
Got some alternative plans for chainring/crank yet

What do you think? Mild or Wild?
Thanks for looking and putting up with a weeks worth of scheming
Steve

Re: The Eliminator, 24"frame arrived 29Jan12

Lookin great Steve! I too am having a hard time deciding which I like best for the front wheel. 26 or 20??? Both look good IMO. Really liking the look of the Jerald on the back! Gonna have to get me one of those. Whichever way you go, I don't think you can go wrong. 8)

Re: The Eliminator, 24"frame arrived 29Jan12

That's awesome! :D The Jerald Sulky Slik really looks good :wink:

Latest posts

Back