====~THE FAIRBANK FLYER~==== * Now With *New* Engine Sound *

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everyone! i've been waiting for the first day of the build off to come along and gathering parts for my build for months.I have had quite a few ideas, but have settled on a board track style bicycle.I have have cool colour scheme based on a board track motorcycle from 1913-1914, but using the frame and bits I have below.Think grubby, dirty, with lots of age a character to it. Here are the parts I have stored and picked up so far. I have more parts on the way! I have a doner ladies bicycle for all the headset, crank, bottom bracket, stem, handle bars, spare fenders, chainguard, chain and 26'' wheels with coaster brake.I will be building a tank to go on it.

Here is the frame I have

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled.jpg

and a few of the bits to go with it
Untitled-2.jpg

Some black Fat Franks
fe71653c.jpg

I had such a great time building my last build off bike ' The Grady Rocket '.
Can't wait to start this one! Stay tuned :mrgreen:

Re: ~THE FAIRBANK FLYER~

Everything looks so neat and tidy, I like!

Have fun, we'll be watching.

yoothgeye said:
Everything looks so neat and tidy, I like!

Have fun, we'll be watching.

Neat and tidy for the minute.I'm sure there will be plenty of parts everywhere over the next few months :D

Skipton said:
*Cool Frame

* Set of Cool tires

* Two seat posts :wink:

*Great Start

Thanks.I just haven't picked what seat post to use yet, nothing to exciting.Got me thinking though :wink: :D

Been doing some sorting today getting the wheels off the doner bicycle.I'm going to need some bigger inner tubes to fit the fat franks, so will head over to the bike shop over the next few days and pick some up. Chainring is in the post as we speak.Also went to the local hot rod car meet tonight, saw some pretty awesome rides.Gave me some great ideas for getting that rat look to the paint!

Went to the local bike shop today and picked up some nice inner tubes for the Fat Franks.Going to try them on for size later on tonight.I'm still on the look out for some black block style pedals that fit in with the look, for some reason I can't seem to find some that are 1/2 size threads in the U.K, well ones that are nice and vintage looking with a bit of age to them.I guess i'll be on ebay again this weekend trying to find some that are right. :D Also been playing around with different designs for the head badge and tank to see what looks nice and is in keeping with the style and year of the bike i'm aiming for.Hope to do some sketching out, rough designs and mock up over the weekend.

:mrgreen:

Cool start.Good luck :!:

Little update.Things are moving along nicely.I got the inner tubes the other day and they fill up the Fat Franks really nice.I needed to try them for size before painting, as the rims that they are going on are a little slimmer than I would normally go for, but since I have them and they are a set with coaster brake, I go with them.Infact they make the tyres look nice and chunky which looks nicer to me :wink: One thing that I will have to do is paint out the Fat Frank shiny logos and lines on the tyres, they don't really go and should be easy enough to just paint them out with some black paint.

I got the crank off the doner ladies bicycle today and gave that a little clean as it was covered in old grease.The wheels, hub, handle bars, chain disc and shiney bits are all going to be sanded lightly, undercoated, sprayed with texted paint and then sprayed with a charcoal black/grey and then i'll add rusty brown in areas.Then i'll distress the paint and age it with dry brushing technique.All with pics of the process of course :mrgreen:

I need to get down the local bike shop again, as the bottom brackets cups and head set cup will not budge from the doner bike :x I have been trying to get them out all day! Hope they can get them out.

Also been working on the Fairbank Flyer design for the tank and head badge, i'll get the rough designs up real soon but for now a couple of pics :D

Mmmmmm... I just love the smell new tyres! :D Anyone else?
222ec487.jpg

Cleaned up the old grease, ready for new grease.
6e91fc0a.jpg

Just trying them on for size before paint.
edecc034.jpg

:)

Nice start, those tires are killer! :mrgreen:

So after checking the size of the tyres and rims were ok, yesterday I made a start of sanding down the surface of the wheels, to get them ready for painting.I got one done, just need to do the other one tomorrow.
DSC_2260.jpg

DSC_2262-1.jpg

I had another go a trying to get the bottom bracket out this morning, but it was having none of it :| so I took them down to my local bike shop and they got them out for me, they were in there real good.

Here are the little buggers. :D
DSC_2267.jpg

I shall give them a clean up later and get them into the Hawthorne frame tomorrow.

I have been working on the logos for the tank and the head badge and after a quite a few drawings here are just a few of the ones I came up with.I tidied them up a little on the computer.

Untitled-14.jpg

It's only done with a basic paint programme, so please excuse the bad edges, but of course they will be drawn out for the stencil and straighten up the letters etc. I'm thinking I like these two the most.
Tank Logo
0dc0286c.jpg

Head badge
Untitled-13.jpg

What you think? I think for the era of the bike i'm aiming for, it goes quite nice. :)

Re: ====~THE FAIRBANK FLYER~====

The wheels are now sanded and ready for painting.Just need it to stop raining, so I can go outside a start painting.

I have manage to get the bottom bracket to fit the Hawthorne, but the doner head set is too small for the head tube :? I have been trying to find the correct size, but not having much luck here in the U.K? I need an older thicker one that fits. I have tried a standard 1'' head set, but that i still super loose in the head tube.Do early 1'' head set cups have thicker walls than modern day head set cups?

I went to get a few colours yesterday.Textured paint and matt black for the wheels, crank chainring, handle bars etc and the main bike colour.I shall be doing a few test later on tonight, so will pop up some pics of how it looks.

I like the design. Are you going with a decal or are you making a badge from brass?

The 1" cups do come in different sizes (where the cup presses into the headtube could be 28.8mm, 30mm, 32.5mm or some other weird size). I have used shim stock before if the difference isn't too great. If you have a pair of calipers measure the part that presses into the headtube and them start searching for the correct ones.

Good luck, Rg

raggedjim said:
I like the design. Are you going with a decal or are you making a badge from brass?

The 1" cups do come in different sizes (where the cup presses into the headtube could be 28.8mm, 30mm, 32.5mm or some other weird size). I have used shim stock before if the difference isn't too great. If you have a pair of calipers measure the part that presses into the headtube and them start searching for the correct ones.

Good luck, Rg

Thanks very much, i'm pleased you like the design.I may have a play around with a few more ideas for the logo, but for the minute I quite like it.Yes, I will be making the tank and then i'll stencil the side with the logo and i'm also going to have a head badge made from brass, hopefully by a fellow RRB member.

Thanks for the help on the head set cup sizes.I think i'll have to head back to the local bike shop and ask the owner, he wasn't there the other day, maybe he can find me a set.The man the other day measured the head tube and couldn't find anything in the shop.He said to come back a ask the owner, as he might have an idea of the size.Good idea on the shim, may have to go with that.

Just been testing the paint, it looks quite nice.I'll get some pics up asap. :)

I took some pictures whilst trying out some of the paints today.So far I really like them.I'm going to have another look in the light tomorrow, but I think i'm going to go with these.

Here is the textured paint. 'Aged Iron' , It sprays real nice and should give a great rough look to the paint. It's feels like a light sandpaper.Once the main black matt black goes over the top of the textured paint, then i'll age it even more.It should look nice.Like I said before this will be going on the wheels, handle bars, crank etc

IMG_0761.jpg

IMG_0762.jpg

IMG_0763.jpg

I plan to texture paint the frame and tank too.Here is the main frame and tank colour I have choosen.It's a 'Stone Grey'.It's quite a subtle colour and once it's dirty and aged with dry brushing and with a tank logo, it should look cool.

IMG_0760.jpg

IMG_0765.jpg

IMG_0766.jpg

Hopefully I get painting the wheels over the weekend, and get some pictures up as I go.

Charlie :)

Can't wait to see the painted frame! :shock:

Latest posts

Back