The Fixie and the Fastback...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Up untill a few weeks ago, both of these are variations of bikes that I have never owned or even riden (had a 20" lowrider fastback some years ago, though). I have made a cruiser trike with a 26" cruiser frame and trike kit rear end, a 21 speed trail cruiser out of a 82 Columbia Clipper (Big Nasty) and finally I am happy to share with all of you, the fixie and the fastback...

DSCN3813.jpg

On its 3rd rebuild, my 1979 Huffy Good Vibrations Fixed/Track gear boardtrack style cracer (cruiser and racer, cracer). Untill now I never saw the whole "flipped handlebar" style, especially being 6'2", but with a tall enough stem, I am really diggin the feel and look and actually improves my power when I stand on the pedels. Kinda weird getting used to the whole fixed gear no coasting trip of a track gear, but i'm sold! I didn't even bother adding any brakes, "keeping it real" and makeing me work those pedels to slow down. i want to add a pair of vintage toe clips and straps to better keep me at one with this bike. With the 52 tooth Monark chainring up front and 18 tooth track cog out back, i've renamed this one "Menacing Vibrations", cuz ain't nothing good about er' anymore.

DSCN3812.jpg

Eventually I want to repaint it, but havent figured out on a color yet. Up in the air between yellow or ferarri red, keeping the black wheel combo. Not a huge fan or the skinny tires, but man are they fast!

And at last, the fastback.

DSCN3818.jpg

I was told it is a Ross frame and I am guessing early to mid 60's. I havent been able to do anything with this bike as the seat post is froze inside the seat tube and I have tried about every trick to get it loose. Finally I decided to drill a hole through the seat post and mount up this small bananna seat and sissybar set up I have had laying around. Still being too low for me to ride comfortably, I improvised a few homegrown solutions to extend the sissy bars and raise the nose of the seat a few more inchs.

DSCN3814.jpg

Since I had no hi-rise handlebars laying around, found a pair of old BMX style bars with a nice touch of patina that actually work very well and are really comfortable when cruising. Made the seat more tolerable with an old towel and some duct tape, adding to the rat factor. Almost don't want to repaint it finding the multilayeral timewashed finish kinda cool. And I REALLY like the layout of the whole fastback type bike, being so comfortable to ride unless going up big hills. Untill I build a propor fastback later this summer, this will definatly do. Thanks for looking and always enjoy coments. :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back