The Flying Dutchman

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is the finished bike, I call it The Flying Dutchman, because it is a Dutch bike. A little information on it. A "dutch bike" ("Hollandrad" in german and a "Ladies' Roadster" in english, aka "Omma's Farrad" - Granma's bike) is a type of bike that has a step-through frame, a chainguard that fully encloses the chain, skirt guards, the riding position is very upright. An IGH or a SS hub is mandatory. Hugely popular in Holland so that's why it is called that.

Here is the final result, and the vote photo:
vote.jpg

This is the starting point, right after I got it:
start.jpg

This one had a SS hub with a coster brake.
I kept the frame and fork plus headset and crankset. Replaced the wheels (with a 3sp Torpedo IGH), the stem, the bars, the pedals, the seat and the lights. I also installed a front brake and removed the rack/stand and the fenders, the chainguard and the skirtguards. I can't take any credit for the paint obviously, this is the factory finish.
A few detail shots -
Front brake/dynamo setup:
20190829_173817.jpg

Seat:
20190829_173746.jpg

Drivetrain:
20190829_163724.jpg

Handlebars:
20190829_163132.jpg

A full shot:
20190829_174019.jpg

20190829_163809.jpg

The model is called "Old Dutch", but the bars and headlamp reminded me of a bird flying hence "The Flying Dutchman" :)

Here is the build thread: http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-flying-dutchman.108804/

Beautifully pared down and dramatically less clunky. Well done. Side note: I graduated from Hofstra University back in 1970. Then, our official nickname was "the Flying Dutchmen," in, I believe, deference to New York's Dutch settlers and the school's founder, a Dutchman himself. Years later, the school's administration, in the interest of political correctness, changed the official nickname to the Hofstra "Pride," which happens to be one of the seven deadly sins. Makes sense, right? Anyhow, this Flying Dutchman approves of your Flying Dutchman. Nice build.

Classy and clean!
Great details man!
BRAVO!

You probably already know this, but Don't forget that when the Voting thread is created we will use the first pic from your Finished thread. I'm not suggesting anything is wrong with the current pic, just making sure everyone knows.

Latest posts

Back