The general fixed gear/SS conversion thread.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would be a good idea to make a thread about asking and answering questions about converting any geared bikes to fixed gear/SS.

I get single speed, but I still can't comprehend why people ride fixed gear. I knew a bike messenger in Vancouver who swore by it, but I thought he was nuts. Vancouver! Everything is up hill!

I get single speed, but I still can't comprehend why people ride fixed gear. I knew a bike messenger in Vancouver who swore by it, but I thought he was nuts. Vancouver! Everything is up hill!
I really could not answer that. My best answer would be the feel is good for some people. They are though better at climbing the normal single speeds as the rear wheel acts like a flywheel and gives you momentum.

I understand fixed is good for bike polo. Also I guess you could ride backwards if you wanted...
Track stands... ummm. I guess if you like fixed. you like fixed.

Love single speed, though!
I've done a few single speed conversions, both the right way and the wrong way.
I have a flip flop hub on one bike, but I have never been brave enough to flop it to the fixed side.

I want this setup:
double_355x530_662895c1-ed04-422f-909b-17eb9250b132_400x.jpg

White Industries Double Double. Two gear ratios on a singlespeed.

I want this setup:
View attachment 126712
White Industries Double Double. Two gear ratios on a singlespeed.
That's the first I've seen that. A clean setup that gets the job done and is almost as simple like the one speed.
I'm working on a four speed setup, but I'm doing mine the hard way that may or may not even work.
1593122355504.png

As for conversions to a single speed, I've done them, but not with the same size wheel diameter or width. I usually went with a SS or 2 or 3 speed from a ten speed bike. Width isn't much of a factor as long as the stays are wide enough. The diameter is a problem when it's different because the handbrakes dont reach and it changes the geometry of the bike. And your pedal may be closer to the ground which may scrape when cornering. The coaster brake takes care of the brake problem but you still will have the change in geometry. I would stick with the same size wheel diameter on a conversion. Here are a few, 27" ten speeds converted to 26" cruisers, except the silver Racer, which was always a 26".

168752_10150097307226737_2002242_n.jpg
o06ijd.jpg
racer.jpg

Oh it's a move the chain by hand situation.
Sleek

I feel like have have enough spare cogs and spacers to make this out of a cassette hub

But I live in Chicago. I only need one gear and there's no trails.

That's the first I've seen that. A clean setup that gets the job done and is almost as simple like the one speed.
I'm working on a four speed setup, but I'm doing mine the hard way that may or may not even work.
View attachment 126713

As for conversions to a single speed, I've done them, but not with the same size wheel diameter or width. I usually went with a SS or 2 or 3 speed from a ten speed bike. Width isn't much of a factor as long as the stays are wide enough. The diameter is a problem when it's different because the handbrakes dont reach and it changes the geometry of the bike. And your pedal may be closer to the ground which may scrape when cornering. The coaster brake takes care of the brake problem but you still will have the change in geometry. I would stick with the same size wheel diameter on a conversion. Here are a few, 27" ten speeds converted to 26" cruisers, except the silver Racer, which was always a 26".

View attachment 126714View attachment 126715View attachment 126716
Do you have any problems with pedals hitting pavement going to 26” on a 27” frame ? I’ve got an old Schwinn I’d like to convert .

The pedals are about a half inch closer to the ground. It doesn't seem like much, but I scraped a bunch of times.
The widest tires I could fit on an old Schwinn common diamond frame was 26 x 2.125, barely. If you could live with narrower tires, 700c rims are just slightly smaller than 27" but the handbrakes may or may not reach. Your pedal height would be almost the same as original. 700 x 50 tires are almost 2 inches wide.
1594957553141.png

Otherwise you could get a 27" coaster brake wheel but have only skinny tires.

I was asking because I have a spare 26” single speed coaster brake wheelset . I was thinking the old gaspipe Schwinn frame would make a nice cruiser if it would work .
I have a 27“ wheeled Carlton Raleigh Frame upstairs in my garage too . About run out of 26” frames .
I’ll have to drag one out and see what fits .

Checked my frames this morning and I’d have to use too small of tires to make it work .
my tires need to be at least 2” wide . :)

Fixed gear teaches you a lot about peddling. Can’t back pedal to clear a curb or pothole as you are always turning. It’s good for mountain bike training as it teaches you to always pedal, which is fastest. I have had a bad pedal strike mountain biking while using my fixed gear mentality. Fixed gear is also good in congested city traffic where speeds are slow and variable. Hard on knees but it sure does teach you a nice efficient pedal stroke. I use my fixed gear bikes for only a few rides each year, just for my pedal strokes.

I was asking because I have a spare 26” single speed coaster brake wheelset . I was thinking the old gaspipe Schwinn frame would make a nice cruiser if it would work .
I have a 27“ wheeled Carlton Raleigh Frame upstairs in my garage too . About run out of 26” frames .
I’ll have to drag one out and see what fits .

It does work. Still those are short (165mm) cranks and they are very close to the ground.
IMG_2422 (2).JPG

Latest posts

Back