The general fixed gear/SS conversion thread.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Screenshot_20210502-150123_Chrome.jpg

1. On smaller size wheels - I put 26" wheels in a 28" frame and it all went well for a week or so. Then riding through the park I wisely cut through the grass and got my pedal caught. I flew away like a champagne cork. Quite the spectacular stunt. I was lucky enough to land on the grass instead of the pavement, also had a backpack and rolled like an action hero so the only damage was my soiled undergarments.
But now I always make sure I have enough clearance :D
2. I was surprised that I liked ss so much. I did two setups on a 28" diamond frame. One had a 635mm wheel and it was a blast to ride, but the wheel needs badly to be centered after my buddy fell down the cellar stairwell with the bike.
To replace the wheel quickly I then used a 28" wheel with a 3 sp Torpedo hub. The torpedo's initial gear is 3rd, the shifter pulls for second and first. I didn't bother installing the shifter so I had a very overdriven ss bike as a result. It took forever to gain speed, with my 100 kilos + standing on the pedals, but once it got rolling could go fast with minimum effort.

Oh it's a move the chain by hand situation.
Sleek

I feel like have have enough spare cogs and spacers to make this out of a cassette hub

But I live in Chicago. I only need one gear and there's no trails.
the set up is made for a 2 speed grip shifter paired with derailleur. but he set his up single speed.

here's a older version of that type set up.
Browning BMX 2-speed transmission . shimano thumb shifter with Shimano chain tensioner . 85 JMC DY frame/fork/bars. Redline Flight 180mm, full wrap, single pinch cranks.
Araya 7X, Shimano DX, Comp 3 fat/skinny
Skyway Tuff Pedals
DC MX 1000 caliper, levers and cables
A'me Unitrons
Kashimax Aero
Haro plate, number
JMC repro padset

post-1103-0-29774600-1429904822_thumb.jpg

post-1103-0-47944900-1429904824_thumb.jpg

or a newer bike . with newer set up has scram grip shift.
Olympic-BMX-prototype-2-speed-derailleur-gears-Meybo-bike_BMX-World-Champion-Twan-van-Gendt_bike.jpg
Olympic-BMX-prototype-2-speed-derailleur-gears-Meybo-bike_BMX-World-Champion-Twan-van-Gendt_Sh...jpg

That's the first I've seen that. A clean setup that gets the job done and is almost as simple like the one speed.
I'm working on a four speed setup, but I'm doing mine the hard way that may or may not even work.
View attachment 126713

As for conversions to a single speed, I've done them, but not with the same size wheel diameter or width. I usually went with a SS or 2 or 3 speed from a ten speed bike. Width isn't much of a factor as long as the stays are wide enough. The diameter is a problem when it's different because the handbrakes dont reach and it changes the geometry of the bike. And your pedal may be closer to the ground which may scrape when cornering. The coaster brake takes care of the brake problem but you still will have the change in geometry. I would stick with the same size wheel diameter on a conversion. Here are a few, 27" ten speeds converted to 26" cruisers, except the silver Racer, which was always a 26".

View attachment 126714View attachment 126715View attachment 126716

Those look REALLY good! I have about a half dozen old, ragged out 10-speed/MTB frames I'd like to do the same (single speed) treatment, but with the wide rear dropout spacing, I'm not quite sure how to go about it. (I'm new to this) I'd prefer coaster brakes on all of them for the economy, simplicity and cleanliness of look, but I'm not completely opposed to having a rear rim brake.

That said, I gather one can modify an existing multi-speed hub, but I'd really rather just buy a coaster brake wheel and bolt it on.

I'm more of a painter and parts swapper/-bolter-onner at this stage of the hobby! Lacing and dishing are a little beyond my skillsets and aren't in the cards for now! :wink1:

This is my 84 Lotus Eclair
Swamp Flower
Commuter and play bike
It’s a fixed Dingle speed, with a two speed freewheel if I ever feel like coasting.
New pedals are coming soon and a replacement for the rear light.
The green canister on the rear rack is my patent pending waterproof tool and tube case that also fits in the bottle holder.
2261E120-94EF-4D45-97CA-919D85C4C5E0.jpeg
4CA50512-D137-42CB-A6FA-5218C9132384.jpeg
4F6BB631-4B7A-4D2D-8B1A-5FA7A04ABACE.jpeg

the set up is made for a 2 speed grip shifter paired with derailleur. but he set his up single speed.

here's a older version of that type set up.
Browning BMX 2-speed transmission . shimano thumb shifter with Shimano chain tensioner . 85 JMC DY frame/fork/bars. Redline Flight 180mm, full wrap, single pinch cranks.
Araya 7X, Shimano DX, Comp 3 fat/skinny
Skyway Tuff Pedals
DC MX 1000 caliper, levers and cables
A'me Unitrons
Kashimax Aero
Haro plate, number
JMC repro padset

View attachment 173129

View attachment 173130

or a newer bike . with newer set up has scram grip shift.
View attachment 173132View attachment 173131

I think that's different from what matti had posted. The Double/Double isn't made to go with any kind of shifter.
http://www.whiteind.com/double-double said:
"Our Double/Double group is a drivetrain solution for single speed riders that like to ride on the road to the trail head and then get serious off road. The gearing is such that allows a suitable road gearing and then by manually moving the chain, the rider converts the gearing to a suitable off road gear ratio."

I think that's different from what matti had posted. The Double/Double isn't made to go with any kind of shifter.
the black BMX I posted has that same system he posted up. the bad part of no shifter is stop some were. loosen wheel nuts if you have enough chain links. then move wheel up in drop outs. if you can then slide chain over to gear number 2. pull wheel back. to take slack out of chain. way to much work and down time. just to manual shift the chain to next gear. bleep that. add the shifter lever of your liking. and a derailleur.

or some run that set up no shift lever. just a derailleur as a chain adjuster. then use a finger to pull chain over to next gear. not ideal or convenient..

I want this setup:
White Industries Double Double. Two gear ratios on a singlespeed.
use derailleur or. since 2 sprockets / gears up front and 2 in back. just bring along 2 diff size chains? to swap gears. doesn't seem that convenient.
View attachment 126712

double_355x530_662895c1-ed04-422f-909b-17eb9250b132_400x.jpg

The Double/Double is a unique drive train system the we offer. The system is comprised of a double chainring machined from one piece of aluminum, mated with an ENO crank and a DOS ENO freewheel. The configuration for a 26" wheel bike is offered with a 38/35 big ring mated with a 16/19 freewheel. The 29er configuration mates a 31/34 ring with a 16/19 freewheel. The system works by either running a chain in the outer tooth positions or, alternatively a diff size length chain, in the inner tooth positions front to back. The gear ratios are significantly changed when switching from one combination to another, however, the chain length do's need to be altered to accommodate the two differing ratios. Running the ring in the outer position tends to be more suitable for on-road style riding, whereas, riding in the inner ring position lends itself more to off-road riding.

Last edited:
It’s basically the way mine is set up. I can ride to the levee on the roads, paved and dirt, and then stop, drink, loosen the nuts switch to the lower gear (maybe two minutes) then ride the softer and unmown trails in lower gear.
I don’t switch very often, and like riding fixed, so it works for me. The wheel moves so little the brakes stay adjusted.

It’s basically the way mine is set up. I can ride to the levee on the roads, paved and dirt, and then stop, drink, loosen the nuts switch to the lower gear (maybe two minutes) then ride the softer and unmown trails in lower gear.
I don’t switch very often, and like riding fixed, so it works for me. The wheel moves so little the brakes stay adjusted.
but it's to geared freewheel. so not getting the fixed gear set up you speak off?

Those look REALLY good! I have about a half dozen old, ragged out 10-speed/MTB frames I'd like to do the same (single speed) treatment, but with the wide rear dropout spacing, I'm not quite sure how to go about it. (I'm new to this) I'd prefer coaster brakes on all of them for the economy, simplicity and cleanliness of look, but I'm not completely opposed to having a rear rim brake.

That said, I gather one can modify an existing multi-speed hub, but I'd really rather just buy a coaster brake wheel and bolt it on.

I'm more of a painter and parts swapper/-bolter-onner at this stage of the hobby! Lacing and dishing are a little beyond my skillsets and aren't in the cards for now! :wink1:
The lighter freewheel hub needs a rim brake, which adds back some of the weight I saved, but the back pedal ability makes the ride a little more fun. This frame was made for 26" wheels but not a SS, it was meant to be a 10+ speed bike. Compared to all the coaster bikes I've had, I'm now happier with a SS freewheel setup.
ready 28 Jul 21.jpg

The lighter freewheel hub needs a rim brake, which adds back some of the weight I saved, but the back pedal ability makes the ride a little more fun. This frame was made for 26" wheels but not a SS, it was meant to be a 10+ speed bike. Compared to all the coaster bikes I've had, I'm now happier with a SS freewheel setup.
View attachment 173226
Are you lacing up those rear hubs yourself, or are you buying the entire wheel/hub assembly?
I'm not at all concerned about weight savings. I'm looking for a cheap, simple solution to converting 10-speed/MTB frames into SS bikes.

but it's to geared freewheel. so not getting the fixed gear set up you speak off?
Right. I can have it either way, I have a flip flop hub so two fixed gear ratios, and two freewheel ones. I prefer to ride fixed, but occasionally you want to coast. Im sure the purist he-men would not approve of my old, rusty, sprung seat, two sets of brakes, awesome grips 😉, racks, (panniers if going to work or camping) dynamo and light bearing fixie that also has two freewheel speeds.
oh well.
the bike is a blast.

Are you lacing up those rear hubs yourself, or are you buying the entire wheel/hub assembly?
I'm not at all concerned about weight savings. I'm looking for a cheap, simple solution to converting 10-speed/MTB frames into SS bikes.
I just recently started lacing up my own wheels. I always thought it was too complicated but used you tube vids for instruction and it's easy. I let the locals true up the wheels as part of my "Support the local economy" plan, but I've laced and re-laced a dozen wheels in the last year. I wait until the hubs I like go on sale and buy them, same goes for spokes and rims. I use a calculator for spoke length that's also on the web: https://www.prowheelbuilder.com/spokelengthcalculator
You can probably use the same spokes and rim from your 10 speed wheel, depending on the flange size of your SS hub.
I keep my extra hubs and have laced them up in various wheels also. The two speeds are my favorite, just heavy.

Last edited:
Been doing geared to SS conversations for a long time, not heaps but a good few over the years,this is my takeaway from my experience with SS/fixed riding
my commuter is an SS 16/44 ratio or it may be 15 not sure actually, anyway when I first rode ss I noticed straight away its a better workout than geared and your mind is not worrying about gears and it teaches me to learn when to hammer down for speed in traffic or when to go uphill timing it to hammer down a split second before you think you should if that makes sense to you, I have been riding SS for years now, I'm not fit health wise but I am strong and have found that I can outpace geared riders even blitzed the lycra clad carbon roadies a couple times although at the cost of punishing myself but still feels good, it's come to a point now that for commuting I will only ride SS, no gears to worry about, no slappy chain, less maintenance, I have only started riding fixed in the last year and wow, the feel of power direct to the wheel to the ground its hard to discribe unless you've been riding one a few times, it just makes you go faster and faster, I'm not into cadence and rhythm and all that technical stuff but it's such a smooth feeling you truly feel connected to the ground, you seriously have to train your mind that you can't stop pedaling, I haven't fallen over or crashed but had a couple scary moments when I forgot that I have to keep pedaling, I ride my fixie only for fast cruising/blood pumping rides and not in traffic so only on cycle ways as I'm getting old and my knees are not the best, to me my fixie is a fun bike to play with, and a totally different way of riding but it's not life changing to me

When I was living in the asphalt jungle of SoCal the last time for about six years, for some reason fixed gear riding helped my technical MTB abilities. At the same time I was rarely riding in the dirt and my fast trail handling skills fell off a bit. A few months of living back in CO helped cure the latter of the two.

Here's the commuter
IMG_20210925_143316.jpg

Here's how I set up the cassette, alloy spacer to start with, pulled apart an old cassette that had blue plastic spacers(never seen blue ones since) put on the cog I wanted then more spacers and the other cogs are so I can put on the lockring
IMG_20210927_160949.jpg

Old derailleur for a tensioner
IMG_20210927_161003.jpg

You have to always have to have a bit of bling, so put on my Hope skewer I got for $10 at auction
IMG_20210927_161017.jpg

And rs eighty straight spoked front wheel I got for $15 at aution
IMG_20210927_161038.jpg
IMG_20210927_161044.jpg

And a little custom placement of a noodle
IMG_20210927_161127.jpg

Oh and did I say I I'm running a nice classic Sante brake
IMG_20210927_161117.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back