'The Goon' - Raw Aluminium Board Tracker

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is my first build off, so here goes nothing! :shock: I've decided to rebuild my Giant Simple, some old info on it is here:
http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=22634&p=236050&hilit=simple#p236050

Here it is mocked up with some ape hangers (which it never got)
simple018.jpg

And its current form at the moment
5765.jpg

The plan is to turn it into a board tracker and freak out some of the fixie guys at a bike event coming up in a few weeks :mrgreen: So strip the frame, strip the paint (for that brushed aluminium look), and some choice accesorising for a more vintage kinda vibe, and flip the bars for that proper boardtrack look.

The bike will be called 'The Goon' after Eric Powell's comic of the same name. Have got a few ideas on how to incorporate the theme into the build :wink: I figure his style and look fit well with a 20s/30s inspired board tracker

goon7_400.jpg

goon-777126.jpg

Still finishing off stripping the frame, just doing it in bits and pieces when I get home from work before it gets too late :wink:

Ditching the ugly stem for a threadless stem convertor and a modern mountain bike stem
simple025.jpg

Even though I haven't finished stripping the frame, I couldnt resist mocking it up.
simple023.jpg

simple024.jpg

Thanks Bean.

The leather saddle I bought cam in, and I stole the thick bricks off my girl's Felt Claire ladies bike. Picture the stem and seatpost in black, brown grips, and thats pretty much the final colour scheme
Simple026.jpg

This is a true to the bone board tracker build. Looking to seeing more.

Thanks 2dwags and Sensor :D

Ive got the bottom bracket back in, chains back on, new seatpost installed so she's now a rideable bike again. I love the boardtrack style bars but the test lap around the block last night found they're not the best for actually riding :? Basic plan is to have 2 sets of bars, so I can easily swap them over when I want to. At the moment she's mocked up with straight bars off my mountain bike and I like the look, and riding position feels okay too. From here I just need to paint or strip the bars and stem, apply the new grips, and Ive got some ideas for some artwork on the tank area. At this stage it's unlikely I'll keep the Goon theme I was originally thinking of, but thats how these things evolve hey? :lol: :lol:

Playing around with different bar set ups. The quick blat around the block revealed the dropped board track bars are far from ideal for riding :shock: but they look cool :wink: :lol: Here's some of the mock ups ive tested

Board track style - looks great, not great for riding :lol:
Simple030.jpg

Simple031.jpg

Non-flipped bars - Real comfy cruiser feel, looks okay
Simple032.jpg

Straight bars - Stretched out riding position, kinda like the look
Simple029.jpg

Simple028.jpg

TheFlyingDingo said:
Mind if i ask where you got that conversion stem?

Just the local bike shop (although it did take a couple attempts to get the right size :? ). They might call it a threadless stem adaptor or a quill adaptor or something similar.

Heres some examples of some different brands. Being nice and small it'd be a good item to buy online as postage would be cheap :mrgreen:
http://www.bikepedia.com/PA/List.aspx?catkey=7226

This looks like a good candidate for a set of "moustache" bars. Not only are they correct for the period, but they offer several options for grip positions: at the ends for an upright stance, on the bends for sprints/climbs, and in the center for that high-speed tuck.

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes//Product_10053_10052_175275_-1___

EDIT: Might want to use a stem with a shorter reach with these, however.

I like the black bars just seems to flow with the lines. The orig. stem has more 30's feel and maybe a setback seat post lucky 7 style?

go the aussies good to seeyou haven a crack at it i mite have a goo next time cheers onya
roundy

Realised I hadnt played with the bars off another one of my bikes, quite liked them so they're going on :wink: Tonight I cracked out the one shot and did some detailing (no, no pinstriping as I dont have a brush).

Blacked out the fully sic chainring...
Simple033.jpg

...and the handlebar centre, the seat rails and the slither of the stem adaptor that shows
Simple034.jpg

She's basically done! Still thinking it might get some text on the top tube (think Indian type logo) or maybe some scrollwork. Might paint the stem black too. Ride length will ultimeately decide whether the bar are flipped like the pics or up the normal way ;) Proper glamour shots to follow, with some daylight.
Simple035.jpg

Simple036.jpg

that looks wicked cool, not particularly keen on the modern stem, but wicked cool none the less.

icyuod2 said:
that looks wicked cool, not particularly keen on the modern stem, but wicked cool none the less.
True, but the top-loader stem allows the bars to be quickly flipped, I'd say their a keeper.

Latest posts

Back