The Great (Haro) Escape

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Picked up this 1997 Haro Escape Mountain bike a couple years ago.
See my previous thread - https://ratrodbikes.com/forum/threads/1997-haro-escape-a2.111496/
Put the red tires and red fork (the stock rock shock judy fork was collapsed}.
Then it just sat. Picked up a couple cool parts on-line for the build off.
I have had success modding old Mountain bikes into comfortable street cruisers and I'm going to convert it to a 1x8 drivetrain.
20220423_122349.jpg
20220423_190038.jpg
20220423_190107.jpg
IMG_20220424_211044151.jpg
IMG_20220501_171957426.jpg

Cool frame. Look forward to your mods.

You are a pro at this type of build, @horsefarmer ! I always enjoy watching your process and results in these mtb mods. Welcome back, and....RaT oN~!

You know I'm into this. Many questions about the K2 fork. How has it held up, still functional? Is that computer in there still doing its thing? Can you even tell? I've read that it will work without, you just lose the damping adjustments on the fly

696AB044-2229-47E7-B3E5-9FA28F58C7DC.jpeg
Another Haro Escape. I really like this bike.
there is new rubber in its future and hopefully a better pair of mudguards.
any suggestions? I do go through some brush once in a while and then this can be difficult.
it may be hard finding some that match as well.

You know I'm into this. Many questions about the K2 fork. How has it held up, still functional? Is that computer in there still doing its thing? Can you even tell? I've read that it will work without, you just lose the damping adjustments on the fly
The story is it looks like new and my late brother picked it up at a swap meet for $5 maybe 7 years ago.
It sat on his shelf till I inherited it. I have not ridden it yet, all I know is there is suspension there, unlike the rock shock which is stuck. Read some reviews here, https://products.mtbr.com/product/older-categories-bikes/front-shock/k2-bike/smart-fork.html And it sounds like the electronics were trouble when new and they fine without 'em anyways. I think it looks cool and it's RED.

BTW This is the bike the forks came on:
1999 K2 3000.jpg

Last edited:
Test fit some pedals today. Pedal threads in crank arms seem a little loose , but
i have not tightened them yet. Anyone here use medium threadlocker on pedals or chain ring bolts?

You are a pro at this type of build, @horsefarmer ! I always enjoy watching your process and results in these mtb mods. Welcome back, and....RaT oN~!
Cool frame. Look forward to your mods.
Thanks guys! It's encouraging to see this unique bike be so popular. I was watchin' this video yesterday,

and I guess this is a Resto-mod? To be uber cool and current maybe a Gravel bike?
Well, we have gravel we ride on around here so....
This thing is super light weight too (even with balloon tires} and should be a fun plush cruiser.
I'm a little nervous re: my choice of chain ring - 48t oval!

Tried some different bars and stems....
S2400016.JPG
S2400005.JPG

Serviced the headset and I realized the jaunty angle of the seat is caused by the seat post being backwards.... Now fixed....
S2400020.JPG

Any good ideas to put some shine into the frame? I assume it is anodized and it seems like a pretty delicate finish.
S2400006.JPG
S2400007.JPG
S2400013.JPG

I’m digging the red pedals! I was going to order a set for my build but decided I have spent enough on this one! I have used thread locker on lots of things over the years both at work and on projects at home. Medium lock tight ( the blue stuff) is your friend! Red and especially purple are NOT friendly if you ever want to remove the parts!

Any good ideas to put some shine into the frame? I assume it is anodized and it seems like a pretty delicate finish.
It doesn't look too bad. My first move would be a clean with dish soap and warm water, followed by a gentle polish with automotive wax.
71t-0aLhnJL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I gave her a wash with dish soap, but I can scrub it again as I missed some spots around wheels, ect.
Maybe the wax will add some shine. I have one of those power balls around here somewhere.

Latest posts

Back