Delete

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So far from read what everyone is saying it seems like the general consensus is that because that one piece is a bolt on item I can remove it and replace the support bar with another bolt on item. And as if it comes backwards that the original bar needs to stay on the bike it’s a matter of bolting it back on.

So far from read what everyone is saying it seems like the general consensus is that because that one piece is a bolt on item I can remove it and replace the support bar with another bolt on item. And as if it comes backwards that the original bar needs to stay on the bike it’s a matter of bolting it back on.
I'll just wait until you're ahead of me in votes and protest then

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

So I played around with my springer design last night just so I’ve got some back up ideas ready to go. My other idea is to have a floating spring attached from the forks at in the same forward position but angle the crown back down to the bottom of the head tube. I will need to get a extra long bolt, some small steel tube to fit over the bolt to work as spacers and some washer, rubber. You’ll see in the photos I also thought about using a steering tube. But for what I have available y to me I’ll use a bolt.
The spring it’s self can be mounted any where along the bolt, from being inside the crown to floating in the middle.
I think over the course of this build I’ll do both designs. I feel this second design is closer to a traditional upside down springer.
510E445A-2BB4-4396-AF9F-BBBB6FD79DD7.jpeg
ADD60B95-875F-432B-919A-9A7A5ED6DFDF.jpeg
4497607F-43EE-47AF-90A8-C5E8EB0E2578.jpeg
0EF2A5E7-DA9B-49C8-9BA8-9667816A2BF3.jpeg
E3AE0A8E-505A-4D2C-95E9-D95E6DD15F7A.jpeg
14889C64-C4F1-4605-8424-3965AAB93A96.jpeg
85D9F4B2-5982-4EE4-8787-12E4B0A35415.jpeg
24268651-6E69-430B-B730-E82CFCD1C446.jpeg

Attachments

• 32F1DDEC-241F-43D8-870E-2DA76281D6F4.jpeg
    32F1DDEC-241F-43D8-870E-2DA76281D6F4.jpeg
    267 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
I went to the hardware store today and bought a piece of flat bar for my front forks to replace the twisted support bars. While I was there I had a look for some 22mm round tube to make a lucky 7 seat post, but there was nothing in the steel rack. On my way out I walked the plumbing section and found a bit of galvanised steel tube it measured 21mm OD. I know I needed 22.2mm but it’s pretty close. I’m already cutting the old seat post down to make a shim so it fits in the tube. But now I’ll also be making a shim for the seat as well. Because of the 1mm difference no matter how much I tighten the seat the Galvanised pipe is still to loose.
lol so close but yet so far away. Current build total = $155
B30C81A8-E39B-491F-A015-5B96BD650B22.jpeg
E66D9B3A-B111-43DA-8303-0687F7D3C821.jpeg

Unless you are very slight, a galvanized pipe isn't going to work long. To find 22mm round bar you will need to go to a metal stock supply...and they'll probably have to order it as metric stock isn't very common.

Unless you are very slight, a galvanized pipe isn't going to work long. To find 22mm round bar you will need to go to a metal stock supply...and they'll probably have to order it as metric stock isn't very common.
Really, I thought it was mild steel tube that had been coated in Gal. The walls of the steel are thick and they use to be used on water pipes and would eventually rust from the inside out.
But your right in the long it will be a better job if I use the correct material.

I was just going back through my tread and I had a better look at a photo Captain Awesome posted on here. At closer inspection of the springer I’ve noticed that my back up plan for my front forks is not a new idea. The one good thing is something similar has been done before it should work again. I’ll post a photo of both designs below. I’ll give credit to everyone that’s flipped there forks upside down. I still think my forks are ‘same, same, different’ ;)
4CF3303C-C54D-43EF-B915-C628E69449C8.png
2E3CE2D5-64A7-4BF0-9E77-8538168C637C.jpeg
9BE6A7E9-A262-475A-91EC-179C532EBD2B.jpeg

It's fun watching the fork unfold. If you really want to make your brain hurt figuring out a fork, you should go back and check out Aluminati from BO6.
http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/in...i-new-pics-a-second-look-before-voting.43736/

IMG_0552.jpg
That’s awesome, I’ve had a similar putting a coil spring on top of the forks steering tube but using two sets of forks, unfortunately I think it looks chunky and not quite right. The above design has a clean look to it. Thanks for the photo, I like to collect ideas not to steal them but to see how things work and if I ever do something similar I can draw inspiration and make my own version.

bolt failed today, due to not having the bottom support, I think also because the bolt is horizontal it would have failed at some point as the bolt was only bent where it entered the bolt ring. I thought this was going to happen but not just it sitting in the static position. With the design of these forks I was more hoping that the support bars would take most of the force but I’ve overlooked some key element and I fear that this design was going to fail on matter what, the bend in the forks I think is to great and will need a different pivot point. I’m not giving up yet. I still have some spare forks if all else fails. I’m going to need a few extra bolts before I’m done
EE0E9D19-16A4-48FE-9F03-A024A59B0B70.jpeg
69EAB4D1-C237-426E-930F-C7E7B78624C8.jpeg
3BB3A135-9862-4C43-8480-55F6174DE8C4.jpeg
84209F4F-7810-45FC-BEBB-8E1CAE0E496E.jpeg

Really, I thought it was mild steel tube that had been coated in Gal. The walls of the steel are thick and they use to be used on water pipes and would eventually rust from the inside out.
But your right in the long it will be a better job if I use the correct material.
It's not meant to be structural, it's low end steel. If your going mild steel for a lucky 7 type post...use solid bar.

After seeing the bolt fail last night I had a scratch around in the shed and found 4 different types of forks I might be able to use if the steer tubes are long enough but I know one is a definite. So worst case scenario is I’ve got other options if I need it. A safety neat for me if I can’t figure this out.
So I’m going but to basics. And here’s my thoughts.
To make a springer set of forks I’ll need-
-Spring or shock absorber
-Main forks
-Support bar
-Steering tube
-Bolt rings / away to connect back onto the steering tube
-rockers
-other odds and ends

Now that I have the main parts I need to think about how the wheel and the forks will react with each other. The way the wheel rotation and the force and pressure that will be transferred through the forks. I limited myself with then first design because I wasn’t looking at it in a new way. I just need to have the basic elements of a springer fork somewhere in my design.
So I’m moving the spring, I’d like put a shock absorber in but I it wasn’t part of the original factory forks. I’m still going to get a couple of cheap set off eBay so I have them on hand. Because my plan now is to move the spring to attach to the rocker itself. I’ve still got to work out the fine details but that’s the plan moving forward.
I’ve got about 4 rough designs. Happy to hear anyone’s thoughts.
A35A29BC-F3BB-41A7-833F-C81E4934977A.jpeg

Designing the springer forks without being able to weld anything is turning out more difficult then l thought and on top of that the 90 degree bend in them presents another challenge within itself. I think if I’m to succeed in my plan I either need to get rid of the bent forks or stop thinking of them as part of the forks but as my a support bar or just as Decoration. The last thing that I want is to have a thousand bolts on the front of the bike. I’m still not done with the idea completely yet

Latest posts

Back