The Half-Penny - 29er Electric Penny Farthing

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An experimental build of mine. Photos of semi-latest build and video of the maiden voyage attached.
Scratch-built from some surplus frame piping, cruiser and BMX bicycle parts, and old kick scooter parts. Welding was done by a friendly student at the local welding school.

The front wheel is an independent electric rim motor, controller, and battery contained in the main chassis. Connected to a thumb throttle. It fits 700c and 29er forks but needs a little more clearance than some 700c forks provide.
Feet can be rested on rear axle pegs.

I've since replaced the banana seat with a similar one with a custom fabric wrap, and the sissy bar with a chrome one, along with adding a basket in front. Those pictures aren't as good quality though. I'm still working on a way to add suspension to the seat for a more comfortable ride, but as it is, it's a viable last-mile solution to get to work from the mechanic. Take the front wheel off and it even fits in my wife's Smart Fortwo. :D Ridiculously heavy for its size though, as the front wheel with battery is 22-25lbs.

I'm in the midst of building a pedal wheel to go in front (all built, just needs to be trued), and will be putting a motorized wheel in the back instead.
hp3.jpg
hp2.jpg
hp1.jpg

Latest posts

Back