The King-Ray (done)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Acquired another 24" Schwinn, this one was a Typhoon. Been wanting to build an overgrown Ray to match my overgrown form. :D
Westwind Tire is still in great shape so that's going on the front. I'll relace a new rim for the back and stuff the biggest tire I can fit back there, it measures about 2.8" where the tire is, so a 2.5" tire is what I'm looking for. Big seat, big sissy bar and big apes are on my shopping list.

I'm fresh off the Revs build so the going may be slow.
Green for Money, Gold for the Honey paint scheme. The green tested very similar to the original color.
I'll try to be tasteful on the gold, it's a very hard color to pull off.
Here's what I'm starting with..........

revs3002.jpg

revs3003.jpg

Fenders will get bobbed. These are from my Phantom.

revs3004.jpg

Re: The King-Ray

7000,.....6000,..... We're at five Mav! I can't reach the ejection handle Goose, you're gona' have to punch us out.........*

Seriously, somebody got to get this train back on the tracks. :D No real work done, I'm just working on getting the parts together.
Bicycledesigner has some of the stuff I need and ChoppersUS has the rest. Looks like I'm going with a 22"x38" apehanger.
Sissybar will be a 35"er and a 22" long banana seat.

*Hopefully somebody gets it.

You should think about a 24" Krate style....Go with a suspended sissy bar. That would look killer! I am going to try that eventually ! Maybe re-think the 22" banana, they are long, but the hole pattern is basically the same as a regular seat, it just sticks out past the sissy bar more & the front of the seat is just longer, but the seat post still attaches in the same place.The longer 22" seat doesnt give you any more room. The distance from the sissy bar and the seat post attachment are the same, I think a regular sized seat would be just fine. Just my .02! GERRY D. FBK.

FLAT BLACK KUSTOMS said:
You should think about a 24" Krate style....Go with a suspended sissy bar. That would look killer! I am going to try that eventually ! Maybe re-think the 22" banana, they are long, but the hole pattern is basically the same as a regular seat, it just sticks out past the sissy bar more & the front of the seat is just longer, but the seat post still attaches in the same place.The longer 22" seat doesnt give you any more room. The distance from the sissy bar and the seat post attachment are the same, I think a regular sized seat would be just fine. Just my .02! GERRY D. FBK.

Unfortunately, the Krate thing has already been done. It was called the King Krate. Awesome bike, I should have bought the thing when I had the chance. This is just going to be a single speed, hence the name King-Ray. A suspended bar would take me way over budget. The big 'naner is more about proportion in relation to the frame than how far back it goes, plus they're supposed to be a little wider, we'll see.
I could always relocate the front mount if it's too far back.

Got the King his Midas touch, gold base coat applied today. All gold is still an ugly color, I'm bettin' somebody can change that someday.

kng01001.jpg

kng01002.jpg

Turns out frt wheel is junk, plating is just too far gone on the rim. As luck would have it, the rear rim I unlaced is in good shape so I'm in the process of fusing the two together.

kng02001.jpg

Frt hub cleaned and packed, spokes and nips cleaned.

kng02002.jpg

Some of this stuff is just taking forever. I've got 4 hours in this front wheel.

kng03004.jpg

And aggravating. It seems that the spokes decided to shrink somehow. Stripped out 8 nipples lacing it back together. Laced it just the way it was, I drew a diagram of the pattern before taking it apart. Didn't matter. Hopefully it won't explode after a wheelie. Brass nipples give a nice gold touch, however.
Repacked and cleaned rear Red Band.

kng03003.jpg

Here's the chainguard lettering I'm hoping to use. I'd like to find a repop letter set I could modify. I tried to use as many elements of the original as possible.

kng03005.jpg

It's gonna' be a week before parts get here so it's time to peck away at some small stuff.
Working on fenders right now, it's time to crown The King, literally.

kng04001.jpg

kng04004.jpg

Parts are coming in slowly, still waiting for BikeDesigners stuff yet. Got rear wheel built, but rim is a piece o' crap, looks like it was hand drilled. High quality steel rims are a thing of the past. Seat looks like it could get a recover, I don't like the material.

kng04006.jpg

kng04007.jpg

bskt004.jpg

Maybe I can do some painting on the seat to gussy it up.

Just did the serial # thing, looks like the King is a '68.

All parts are here, but humidity is very high, so no painting anytime soon.

kng04008.jpg

Dang, dem's some big apes! :D
I've got a special trick planned for the clear grips, stay tuned.

Hey, I got the same seat, sissy bar and apes...........But i can see by the work your putting into your bike that the similarities end there.......nice job on the fenders.

i asume you hit the nipples on a wire wheel? how are your fingers after that i did the same with mine on this year's build off bike and about half way through although they looked killer i was thinking of how much longer than i thought it would take to do remembering there are after all 72 of the buggers. the bike is lookin good

Latest posts

Back