The Longboard

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great job!I cant wait to see the finished pics 8)

Thanks @FatBoy!

btw, guys, I've learned that this guy is eligible for the Build Off, so CCR was awesome enough to move the thread to the Build Off Forum! I. Am. Super. Excited.

Expecting the rest of my parts to arrive before this week is over. I'll call it "done" in time for the cutoff, I think, but are these builds ever really done? :wink:

Paul,
Everything is looking awesome. I liked the blue and honestly thought it was a mistake to change colors. but after seeing the black I bow to your instinct. I like the black much better. Can't wait to see it done.

JimK

Man, how did I miss this bike? I have a lot of respect for someone who can work with wood.

I have been planning a little wood on my bike (rack top) and hopefully I can get to it this week.

yoothgeye said:
Man, how did I miss this bike? I have a lot of respect for someone who can work with wood.

UH HUH UH HUH HUH ...HE SAID WORK WITH WOOD. :mrgreen: GREAT GOING !! LOOKS GOOD SO...GET TA BUILDIN'!! PEACE

Good news, bad news, awesome news.

The good:

The paint has cured enough that I have begun reassembly. My new adjustable angle quill stem has arrived and it fits wonderfully. The new handlebar looks and feels awesome, and I can't wait to ride it! I will also be done in time to submit this build in the Build Off.

The rest of the parts I've ordered should arrive tomorrow, and this hoss will be ride-ready.

The bad:

The Fat Franks will not arrive in time for me to be able to install, photograph, and meet the cutoff. Shipping is a bit on the slow side, seeing as how the lady I was dealing with is running a one-(wo)man show. This means I'll have to submit my "finished" build with the stock whitewalls.

Since I had the frame dangling by the head tube, I missed a strip on the aft side of the seat tube, but I think it adds more character to the build. It'll highlight the home-brewed nature of this project. Until I decide to fix it, that is, and that'll probably happen after I submit my final product.

Also, the front wheel is off to the left of the springer fork I ordered. I'm stewing on this one to try and solve the problem for when I do install the massive Fat Franks, because I've got about 1/8" of clearance between the left side of the tire and the fork tube. Any thoughts on how to fix this?

The awesome:

Some guy on Craigslist is selling his Felt MP for $400. This is awesome, because a Felt Canvas frame is $300, and I'll be in more than $100 just buying a wheelset with a 3-spead rear hub and a dynamo front hub. Build number 2 will begin as soon as I hear back from the seller.

-=-

I've decided to hold off on any more photographs until the reveal, so stay tuned and I'll link it when I post the photos in the Finished Bikes thread for the Build Off.

As always, thanks for stopping by and thanks a bunch for all your comments!

JimK said:
Paul,
Everything is looking awesome.
+1 8)

JimK said:
I liked the blue and honestly thought it was a mistake to change colors. but after seeing the black I bow to your instinct. I like the black much better.
JimK
I was likin’ the blue also, but as soon as I saw the frame in black, I knew that this bike needed to be black . . . no other color wood do! :wink:

Ya beat me to the punch on the chainguard Paul, but I see the tanks are still blank! We could take care of that . . . hint, hint!

WOW! where did this build come from? This is the first i've seen of the "Longboard" I like it!
You've given me some Ideas for my Cranbrook! Keep it up! :mrgreen:

Okay, here we go. It's actually finished! What's been done to the bike since my submission into the Build Off:

Changed out the stock tires for a set of Fat Franks, and changed out the tubes from the cheeseball stock tubes that they installed in China. I changed out the tubes because the stocks weren't rated for 2.35" tires. Call me too careful, but I didn't want to suffer a blowout on the road.

I also got my hands on an LED bullet headlight from Double Nickel and threw that hoss on between the forks.

And then, FireProof was awesome enough to offer up his time, equipment, and expertise in setting a laser engraver loose on my precious, precious rear deck to engrave the sun from the Philippine flag on it. After I got it back home, I sanded it down a touch, and applied a few coats of lacquer and called it done!

DSC_0671.jpg

DSC_0673.jpg

DSC_0676.jpg

Love the sun, but you should've done a chainring outline on the inside of the sun, combined 2 great things.

@yooth: That's a neat idea. Maybe I'll find a way to incorporate it into my next build.

@mike & hogzilla: Thanks a bunch! This bike is certainly a head-turner. This single speed hub's gotta go, though. Riding it up the hill to my house is a pain, and I find myself riding my 3-speed much more often as a result.

Thanks everyone for your awesome input and kind words. It's really encouraging to have such an amazing and supportive group of people to feed the obsession.

Latest posts

Back