"Nameless No More - Now MONOLITH!"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or maybe like this
sportrack-4-bike-tilting-hanging-hitch-rack-92632021-43d1-4216-8958-8c43bf3466ae.jpeg

The clamps do damage, bikes with sloping top tube don't work well (hello, that's my whole life!), they swing around like crazy... To be honest, I worry about the welds on aluminum bikes because they sway so much, they aren't meant to be subjected to forces like that

Or maybe like this View attachment 245709
The clamps do damage, bikes with sloping top tube don't work well (hello, that's my whole life!), they swing around like crazy... To be honest, I worry about the welds on aluminum bikes because they sway so much, they aren't meant to be subjected to forces like that
Ahhh, yeah I don’t do hanging racks. No way

I've got a pair in a box. They've got that flat surface at the outside of the grip. Haven't tried them yet, but if stars align correctly, I might finish a mountain bike someday.
I've been changing over to the ergo grip you are describing with the flat on the outboard end. I found that grips with little locking clamps are the best. Without clamps the darn grips are impossible to stop rotating. They are quite a bit better in my case for sleeping hand syndrome.

Welcome to the Iron Man class of MTB. Early pre NORBA races here in northern California always had an Iron Man class since so many Klunkers were one speed bikes usually with coaster hubs. The Iron Man class was for one speed bikes only. Don't worry about that dude on the 1x11 bike passing you, you are getting just as much exercise as he is. If not more.

Seems to me for all those of us that don’t drive a pickup that racks are an issue.
Having just seen how much creativity and engineering brilliance comes from BBO.
Maybe an ongoing Bike transport Solutions Thread or or focused build off?

I've been changing over to the ergo grip you are describing with the flat on the outboard end. I found that grips with little locking clamps are the best. Without clamps the darn grips are impossible to stop rotating. They are quite a bit better in my case for sleeping hand syndrome.

We've always used Aqua Net hair spray; I don't know why, we just have. A few squirts or so in the grip and a coat on the handlebar - slide it on fast. That sucker ain't coming off or moving without a fight.....

AquaNet.jpg

Well I've got naturally curly 1980s rock-n-roll hair and I need all the help I can get while zooming by!

gollum.jpg

Last edited:
Back together again for the umpteenth time... new hi lo chainring, new ss specific rear gear. Tried a ghost ring, but it wouldn't fit with the curved stay interfering, so it's back to the not so good tensioner. I can't run a half link because of the chain ring, so I am pondering a singulator
IMG_20230929_142113658.jpg

32-13 gearing feels a little steep, will have to see how it handles climbs and tech. It's getting dialed in, but still a long way to go. Ask Ingola how fussy I can be about the "little things"

Back together again for the umpteenth time... new hi lo chainring, new ss specific rear gear. Tried a ghost ring, but it wouldn't fit with the curved stay interfering, so it's back to the not so good tensioner. I can't run a half link because of the chain ring, so I am pondering a singulatorView attachment 249256
32-13 gearing feels a little steep, will have to see how it handles climbs and tech. It's getting dialed in, but still a long way to go. Ask Ingola how fussy I can be about the "little things"
Just get it going then we can worry about the little things at the end of the day your not going to care while your riding

Back together again for the umpteenth time... new hi lo chainring, new ss specific rear gear. Tried a ghost ring, but it wouldn't fit with the curved stay interfering, so it's back to the not so good tensioner. I can't run a half link because of the chain ring, so I am pondering a singulatorView attachment 249256
In my late 20's racing in Northern California mountains I ran a fairly low single speed gear. Front would be 28 teeth and rear would vary from 18 to 24 teeth. My philosophy was try to pedal most of the uphills because pushing a bike uphill could really slow you down. Low gearing never held me back on downhills since I didn't pedal anyway. Faster just meant less braking action. The only time this hurt me was on races where there was a lot of more or less level trails. I never let other racers choice of gearing color my own judgement about what I could or could not do. Some racers were in superb cycling shape or were just better athletes and I had to accept and live with that. I went to the races anyway and had a great time. Now-a-days I would plug in AI to tell me which gearing was best for me. I just mentioned AI to impress everyone with how tech savvy we are in California. Good luck with finding that magic gear ratio.

That looks sooo ….”torquey(?)”😋

We've always used Aqua Net hair spray; I don't know why, we just have. A few squirts or so in the grip and a coat on the handlebar - slide it on fast. That sucker ain't coming off or moving without a fight.....

View attachment 245837
🤔

Latest posts

Back