"Nameless No More - Now MONOLITH!"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattiThundrrr

Rattus All Terrainus
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This thing is too pretty to be a rat.
ad_2_1602950957935.jpg
ad_1_1602950957933.jpg

ad_0_1602950957926.jpg

Not really a build either. Just documenting my 2010 Hardrock. Picked up two, a 17" for the lady, and a 19" for Matti. Needs pedals and maybe grips. Added a bottle holder from the stash, maybe I'll upgrade it to match the other stuff. Who knows, maybe wider bars/shorter stem, this thing has disk tabs, that's an option, and if I'm honest, I've been curious about single speed... Stay tuned for infrequent updates.

Last edited:
They are in great condition for 10 year old mountain bikes.
- I used clip spd pedals. It helped my climbing but I fell more.
- I tried single speed mountain biking but it didn't last long. I was over 40 at the time. Every time I climbed or faced a strong head wind, I wanted my derailleur back.

It's an interesting life they've led. They spent their first ten years doing duty at a summer camp. I guess that means some light, some rough handling, for a few weeks each year. The guy had like six of them, sold them all in a day!

Let's switch to the opposite end of the spectrum. I've got a line on a used Marzocchi Dirt Jumper 2. Has anyone used a DJ fork for more xc applications? I know they're heavy and set up for the big hits. How much sensitivity and response to the small stuff would I be losing if I "over fork" my beastie? The bike it's on is designed for clydes and I'm over 200 most days...

*It's attached to a bike with disk brakes and full Deore 3x setup, wheel set, etc, so the hesitation is only on the fork.

Still trying to figure out SRAM shifters. Grrr. Not much more annoying than repeatedly mis-shifting at inopportune times. I miss my old Rapidfire Shimanos. My stupidity might be a deal breaker.

Possibility: simplify

I don't appreciate that SRAM has different cable pull than standard. I'm tired of the worn out twist grip shift on my SRAM equipped Cannondale, and may convert to Shimano just to use a cheap and available SIS shifter.

My daughter has an old 90s Hard Rock sport.
She loves that bike.
When I was fixing it up for her I rode it a bit.
If I could find an old hard rock frame with horizontal dropouts I would grab it for making a fun single speed play bike.

Spent a few hours in the saddle today, maybe 20 or 25 km around town, a mix of urban, bike path and various trails. Some rough gravel climbing to check out that spot where I saw the wild turkeys on the way to work. Plenty of tracks, a few feathers, and then a whole lotta mud. Forgot it rained yesterday. Surprised that the leaves aren't changing more.
IMG_20210924_124442164.jpg
IMG_20210924_121818131.jpg
IMG_20210924_115319121.jpg

Just included that last one because the trailer is so cool. It is in mint condition. The owner thought I was casing the joint.

Seat time got me thinking. I've been getting pains in the palms on longer rides. Not the whole palm, just the outside edge. I'm thinking about trying a bar with a little sweep to change the wrist angle. I don't want to shorten the stem yet, I like the handling as is.
I need tires too, more tread because it's always muddy here.

Last edited:
Seat time got me thinking
Or maybe not... If I get a couple of bikes fixed up, this one is pretty much redundant. Brodie and the RockRat overlap with this one too much. The dropouts aren't right for a serious single speed attempt. When I told my son that I was actually thinking about selling a bicycle, he nearly fell over.
So, what's the consensus? Not a great time to sell bikes around here, the white stuff will be flying soon, but if I'm lucky, I could probably double my money on the thing, which would finance the other projects nicely.
2a1e28fde4562e33116ae5cfb59a0e88.png

Latest posts

Back