The PinkWidow

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OK So my 9yr old daughter decided she was ready to build her first bike. Since here current bike was a 16" BRATZ bike
and she is growing like a sumac tree, I was enthusiastic. Ratina came through with the 20" 64' Schwinn Fiesta. Pretty rare bike since the only made them in 20" for one year. I thought this would be the perfect bike for her. So sitting with me looking at all of your awesome builds he little gears started turning and she soon new exactly what she wanted. Some of the parts she wanted just were impossible or waaaay to expensive. Everything was pretty easy to find and get at reasonable prices. So hold onto your sissy-bars pedal jerks and get ready for this one!. (Pedal Jerks B.C.) kinda neat. Someone should start that club. lol I'M IN!

Here is the Fiesta as it was received and in GREAT SHAPE I must say. Thanks again Ratina (That dude is good business)
ninasBike1.jpg

Picked up this donor bike off craigslist for $15 We're going to use the wheels and any hardware we may need, which I doubt we will because the schwinn bearing any all that are the best. They just need a bath in WD40 then repacked with good grease,
ninasBike1b.jpg

OK now the fun part. She's actually pretty good at taking stuff apart once I loosen the tight stuff.
ninasBike2.jpg

ninasBike2b.jpg

Once she had everything taken apart and hardware was soaking I had her wire brush every piece.
SOS pads are great for removing surface rust from chrome and Yes Nina removes the nail polish too. haha
Drywall sanding sponges are my favorite for bringing the shine back to raw metal parts such as fender screws,
seat posts, fender braces kick stands etc..

While Nina cleaned the goods, I plugged in the grinder, using a medium grit flapper wheel, and started removing the thick layers of paint that was horribly chipping off. Getting into tight places was no happening with out the use of my broken dremel. So sanding sponges were use to smooth out the transitions. Once all the paint was removed from the
tank, chain guard, and frame, Nina whiped it down several times with tack cloth then Denatured Alcohol.
ninasBike3.jpg

Once all the parts were prepped for paint, good use of the sheppard's hook came to play. Nina finds using self etching primer with too hands works best for her.
ninasBike4.jpg

ninasBike5.jpg

ninasBike5b.jpg

While the primer was getting set up (about 45min) Nina and I scrubbed the rims
with simple green, taped the spokes, scuff sanded and prepped the wheels with Alcohol
for fresh coat of pink.
ninasBike6.jpg

awesome project! 8) i have an old photo on my toolbox at work of my daughter taking apart a schwinn twinn headset with a pair of channellocks when she was 4 or 5- one of my favorite bike photos. :D

this is gonna be a good'n! lovin getting the kids involved, perpetuating the addiction in another generation. cant wait till my boy (3 Months) is ready to help daddy

So inspirational! I can't wait till my son is old enough to pitch on a bike for him. Right now, he "helps" by keeping me on my toes with the "hide the tool" game! Looks fun, dude...

Today was a really productive day out in the garage.
We were moving along so fast I forgot to take progression shots until the end.
Once all the parts were primed, Nina wanted to coat everything in glossy black.
ninasBike7.jpg

ninasBike7b.jpg

I scored a NOS Satin Black sissybar and a NOS white glitter banana at a great bike shop in Philly. As well as a supper smooshy set of Schwinn chubby glitter grips.
Pics of those to come.
ninasBike8.jpg

I tried talking her into the reversed bars look which I personally love and white walls but she had her design in her mind set
and was sticking to it. Besides it was really hard for her to ride.
ninasBike9.jpg

The original chrome spring forks I got had a shorter steer tube so I took another one I had and modified it.
Well the fork rods have a longer Spring bracket to swivel bolt distance. So those are out. I took the forks off a 26" build I
was working on and made them work, and I have to tell ya, I like the look. I was planning on shortening them but no need.
Anyway, assembly went really quickly with both of us turning the screwdrivers and wrenches. We added an old headlight I found a while back, a pink chain from the local fixed gear bike shop, and matching pedals from the donor bike.
TIME FOR A TEST RIDE!
ninasBike10.jpg

ninasBike11.jpg

ninasBike12.jpg

Nina says "Daddy, Rides much smoother than my Made in China Bratz bike!" Well DUH Nina! haha
kids say the craziest things. So, just a few details remain. "Fancy air thingies" Pin-Striping, and a little metal flaking. It's been really fun working with my girl on this, even though most of the time she was "bored" and chasing the dog around in the yard
while Daddy got dirty with the sanding and grinding.

Man, this thing looks awesome! I'm thinking the same color scheme for my granddaughters bike, but I've got a long wait. You can tune the handling by adjusting the spring bolt. It looks like it has a lot of trail.

I like pink and black together, it's just a really hard look for a dude to pull off! :D

@slow I couldn't agree with you more. I wanted her to get white walls but she insisted on all black.
We originally wanted a pink nana but the nice one was going for 175 bucks on eBay and well... this was only 25.
The grip match it and I think the white and pink pin striping we are planning with bring it all together.

@Joker it handles beautifully. I rode it my self and one finger could steer it. When the bars were reversed
there were some issues but after flipping them right side, it's really neat to ride. Thanks for the feedback.

you two did a great job and glad its being ridden even without those 'fancy air thingys'....but man you gotta give that girl a respirator when shes priming/painting!

Thanks guys. Sensor haha she didn't spray for vet long. she did two strokes and gave up then did laps in the yard with the dog. Her tiny hands could barely press the nozzle down.
But yeah safety first. She wore safety glass when taking the bike apart hAha.

Latest posts

Back