The PS Mountain Rat

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well here I am on a whim deciding to join the fun.Lately I have been going up to the mountains alot,I used to live there for years and still have lots of friends there.The towns are Strawberry and Pine,population a little over 1,000 each.They are 3 miles apart and around 1,000 ft. in elevation difference.It is not an easy area to ride a single speed cruiser in. Last week I went up with my burrito bike,going downhill was a blast.Trying to get back up,not so much.So this build is going to be functional but hopefully cool.I guess it will be like a Klunker which I have to admit,I had never heard of until the Klunker build off.It will be multispeed with a cantilever frame.Good thing is that I have all the parts already,hooray !!! I submit the PS (Pine/Strawberry)build. 8)

This is the area I am talking about....
vfiles15772.jpg

downtown Pine.......
dscn1598.jpg

Here are the bikes that will be used. The 10 speed was just given to me,yes the seat was that high.The other I bought awhile back for the tank for my Burrito bike.
P1010001-1.jpg

P1010002-1.jpg

To paint or not to paint? That is the question. I have never left a bike without a new paint job but have been contemplating it on this build.I do want to get the surface rust off but I am afraid that the paint will come off as well,hmmm.The bike tear down went real quick but then thats the easy part.
003.jpg

the parts......
004.jpg

005.jpg

Nice pics Tikiharl, looks very peaceful and quiet there! You are giving me encouragement, I'm still debating if I can join the buildoff...

I finally got around to doing some work on the bike.I decided to go with a painted build. The front springer I just picked up.It was covered in house paint,springs and all.I figured that I would have to paint some of the suspension because of all the rust.To my pleasant suprise the parts cleaned up pretty nicely and in less than 2 hours.
P1010001-2.jpg

P1010002-2.jpg

P1010004-2.jpg

P1010006-3.jpg

Re: The PS Mountain Rat (mock up pics)

I mocked it up this morning and found out right away that my headtube was 3/4" too long :x .I cut down the tube a little on each end but nicked up my paint job in the process :roll:. These are not the tires that are going on the bike they will be getting the Kenda Kraze.I painted the Torrington bars,they were just too far gone to clean up.I will probably run rear brakes only.In all honesty this bike will probably get more miles here in town as it will be the only bike I have that will fit on the light rail.The wheels are both the same size,the rear just looks bigger in the pic.
P1010007-3.jpg

P1010008-2.jpg

P1010009-3.jpg

I haven't been working on the bike much as the temps here have been 110 -115,plus I left my camera at my brothers on 4th of July and just now have it back.I changed bars to ones that have a bit of a rise to them.I have my deraileur and brakes hooked up. It rides great but it still feels a little small for me.I t could be that I am used to riding the Colson Clone and my burrito.That is why I changed the bars and hopefully will get the seat post laid back before the deadline.This bike was built with practicality in mind.I t will not be ridden offroad but might hit small stretches of gravel road.The headlight is a flashlight from Ace Hardware.I am taking it up to the mountains tommorow hopefully to take some "glamour shots" and take a test ride.

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

Latest posts

Back