The Red Rocker

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This 1968 Heavy Duti frame has been sitting since being powdercoated and I have been slowly collecting parts for it. Almost all of the BMXey parts I have sought out over the past few months are here just in time for this build-off. The first order of business is going to be building up the wheelset, which will be Sumo (Araya 7X Style) rims, DT Champion 2.0 Spokes, 3x laced to an IRO/Formula fixed/free hubset.

20210427_125918.jpg

The music selection for this build is going to be from Montrose, Sammy Hagar's solo work and Sam Halen/Van Hagar.

"Some like it hot, I like it red."

Last edited:
This frame has been sitting since being powdercoated and I have been slowly collecting parts for it. Almost all of the BMXey parts I have sought out over the past few months are here just in time for this build-off. The first order of business is going to be building up the wheelset, which will be Sumo (Araya 7X Style) rims, DT Champion 2.0 Spokes, 3x laced to an IRO/Formula fixed/free hubset.

View attachment 176658

The music selection for this build is going to be from Montrose, Sammy Hagar's solo work and Sam Halen/Van Hagar.

Nice music theme.. I was singing Black and Blue off of OU812 yesterday while thinking on the colors for mine.

Cool frame, and wheel plans. Will definitely be a klunkin with a free hub and many gears.

Looking forward to seeing it roll.

This frame has been sitting since being powdercoated and I have been slowly collecting parts for it. Almost all of the BMXey parts I have sought out over the past few months are here just in time for this build-off. The first order of business is going to be building up the wheelset, which will be Sumo (Araya 7X Style) rims, DT Champion 2.0 Spokes, 3x laced to an IRO/Formula fixed/free hubset.

View attachment 176658

556.jpg

View attachment 176658

I saw Sammy Hagar open for Boston at the San Antonio Convention Center Arena in 1979. The fireworks that the audience was shooting off inside is still better than any pyrotechnics show I have seen since. There was nothing left when Boston came out... Nothing compares to his old solo work and Montrose.

I like the color, like my 42 Hawthorne that stayed in Hawaii. I have a 53 Schwinn frame like that back in Florida that now I wish I had cut up and carried in a suitcase here. I could have it welded back together easily.
That's a standard size frame, I can spot the Kingsize frames a mile away.

I saw Sammy Hagar open for Boston at the San Antonio Convention Center Arena in 1979. The fireworks that the audience was shooting off inside is still better than any pyrotechnics show I have seen since. There was nothing left when Boston came out... Nothing compares to his old solo work and Montrose.
I saw Ronnie Montrose's Gamma open up for Pat Travers Band and Blue Oyster Cult in Long Beach, CA on December 28, 1979. He still put on a great show, even without Sammy. Funny thing about that show, there is a running theme about one of the characters being hit by a laser at that very same show throughout the movie "The Stoned Age".

Best "blown off the stage by the opening act" show I ever saw was Huey Lewis and The News opening for .38 Special in Fayetteville, NC just after "Sports" was released.

From Huey's wastebook page:

We were opening for .38 Special when Sports was out, and the crowds were finally coming to see us. We went out on an arena and coliseum tour, and we were killing them every night because our record was growing by the day. We would show up at the hall at seven and eat the crew meal, put on our clothes at 7:45, go out from eight to nine o’clock and just tear it up, and get as many encores as we want. To their credit, if .38 Special were super-mad about it, they would suck it up and play their show real hard. - Huey

Last edited:
Who are you using for powder coat locally?
I used Premium for this frame because they are closest to me now. They did this one a few years back when they were still out by I-25:
CRCamel.jpg

Others I know around here have recommended the guys you use in Berthoud for media blasting for their bike powdercoating.

Latest posts

Back