The Red Rocker

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been almost too busy to even snap this, finished building the set the same evening and then captured a pic sometime yesterday.
20211118_114538.jpg

I had the movie "The Song Remains The Same" on while building them. I was also making some homemade BBQ sauce and boiling beans for chili at the time.

Been almost too busy to even snap this, finished building the set the same evening and then captured a pic sometime yesterday.
View attachment 178670

I had the movie "The Song Remains The Same" on while building them. I was also making some homemade BBQ sauce and boiling beans for chili at the time.
Very nice. Did you find the spokes locally?

Added a few parts to the frame today while waiting on a client to pick up a build.

20211216_151419.jpg

The Black Ops crank adapter seems like a solid option for the conversion. It's as snug as a bug in a rug. The headset is OE from the donor bike, 1968 Schwinn Heavy Duti. Lastly and much to the chagrin of some, I'm inside waiting for the fork to warm up to room temperature so I can peel the stickers. The SE branding is still prevalent though, as seen on the backside of the bottom of the fork tubes.

I got stalled-out by a couple of minor issues, which are being remedied. The most significant was proper reach with the intended vintage BMX brake calipers I have. It's a bit of a bummer more than a setback, but this realm has a constant learning curve and rolling with the punches is part of it all.

If you can't find a brake that extends down far enough, make a bracket. For the fork it would be just a little U shaped bracket with holes for the fork and a second set of holes for the brake. The metal would have to be at least few mm thick for strength. The blue line is where the bracket attaches to the fork with a bolt. The red line is where the brake bolt attaches. You might want a spacer in the middle to make it as solid as possible. Then you could keep using the vintage BMX brake.

I bought a set of caliper brakes that were 94 mm in length. They were almost too long for what I needed.

u-shaped-brass-bracket-500x500.jpg

Puttered away at it yesterday for a few.

20220116_200005.jpg

The brakes from Pork Chop appear to be Dia Compe quality, made in Taiwan. I think my parts rummaging for this build ended yesterday as well when I located both of the Sugino Super Maxy cranks left in my parts stash. Those were matched up with a 39t Sugino chainring that was affixed with Gipiemme crank bolts. The Gyess saddle's black coloring is a bit light, so that'll get a dye job before this is done.

The learning process continues...

The 68x110mm UN-55 BB I had planned to use does not provide enough clearance for the Super Maxy crankset spider. I could have switched to another crankset, but am determined to use the Super Maxy due to its BMX history. A 113mm BB is on the way, along with some spacers to dial the chainline in easier. I thought I had a few spacers in my spacers bin, but must have used the last one on the yellow Le Tour I recently sold.

The only other progress was locating a nice Schwinn head badge in the pile-o-bikes picked up last Summer and detailing it down to polished with black lettering to match the rest of the build.

113mm is quite narrow. I've used spindles that short for multi speeds. The last single speed I mounted a Super Maxy was 118mm. Can't member the hub used.
What method are you using to calculate chainline?

113mm is quite narrow. I've used spindles that short for multi speeds. The last single speed I mounted a Super Maxy was 118mm. Can't member the hub used.
What method are you using to calculate chainline?
On 1x1 bikes, I rarely use anything over 110mm.

Chainline Calculation is something I've never done in a technical sense I just use previous experience, my eyeballs and a steel 25' Stanley tape measure.

Graeme Obree likes having his feet close together and so do I. Most of my bikes have heel wear on the chainstays from incidental shoe contact.

Something I should have mentioned about the Fiebing's Leather Dye, it is ILLEGAL in California in case any of you California Characters need to dye a saddle. @Palepainter let us know how it works out for you. IMO, it's an amazing product that works really well. I used a little acetone, followed by a damp rag to prep the surface and after buffing out the first coat, added a second and buffed, followed by Leather Mate leather conditioner and a final buff.

Modern Shipping Tracking is such a WIN, the chain should arrive today and I can get 'er done.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back