The Ruler

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Guys,
I finally got to spray some paint today (1st coat at least) frame rearend annd chain gaurd. I gotta say I love this color It will look great when its done. Also got 2 coats of silver on the chainring just have to mask and spray black in the morning.I also got the rest of my missing parts ordered today so I may just finish in time.
Crash,
just so you know I always wipe just a hint of grease on my bearing races before I paint then it wipes right off when the paint dries so no worries LOL.

How do you guys do this with spray cans show me your ways master :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

It,s all in the prep work Scribble the only real problem with using a rattle can is it never really gets good and hard so it scrtatchs easy.

Your right Mike the black darkens the entire look of the bike gotta go white.

Thank you Luke that means a lot coming from you ( your builds are awsome) It's looking good considering I have no fab tools so what I got is what I have to use. For now I'm a bolt on builder.

Biggdaddy said:
It,s all in the prep work Scribble the only real problem with using a rattle can is it never really gets good and hard so it scratches easy.

have you ever tried baking your finishes? I used Hi heat enamel on my engine once and baked everything before I installed the engine on my old pickup truck and it made a huge difference in durability and shine. I would think you could do the same with bike parts. The high heat part is probably not important, but baking it in an electric oven at somewhere in the 200 degree range should help a lot. Google paint baking and see what temps people recommend as it was a LONG time ago I did it. Might not want to do it in the Wife's oven the day before Thanksgiving either....but old ovens are pretty cheap, or you could make your own with some heat bulbs.

Hey All,
So today I put together the Ruler. I am still missing the proper seat, pedals, and the decals I ordered but it is pretty much finished. My good friend Mikeeebikey and robert came by to lend a much needed hand much thanks to both of you. So here are some pics of build day and what she looks like so far.

When I did the mock up I forgot all about a little thing called brakes so last week I had to come up with something fast and here is what I came up with I am kinda proud of it.

Well here is the Ruler95% finished

I hope ya'll like it I had a blast building it.

Nice really like the blue!

That turned into one nice looking trike. Has it any differential or is one wheel freewheeling?

As far as my comment about baking... you can always use heat lamps to bake the finish on larger items. Did it all the time in the body shop for spot repairs. If it is your first time use a laser thermometer and keep the part moving around every few minutes until you get a feel for the right distance and timing..

Nice paint job...:thumbsup:
I to have the same prob with the paint tin sprays scratching off. I have a compressor, but a pain to clean...I purchased a B&D electric spray gun,this does the work fine n fast,easy to clean and no blockage...Also I find if I use a metal varnish w/ hardener,seals the paint work...I bake small parts in the oven 150-200' is fine....
:113:

Latest posts

Back