The Schwinn Dixie Dreamcycle

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not a ton of progress to report tonight, so I'll just list it with the photos.

1. Filled small spot on tank with wood glue.
BftD_Schwinn_Dixie_tank_and_mounts_1.jpg
BftD_Schwinn_Dixie_tank_and_mounts_2.jpg

2. Sanded spot and rest of tank with some 60 grit sandpaper, followed by 220/330ish grit sandpaper to smooth everything out.
BftD_Schwinn_Dixie_tank_and_mounts_3.jpg
BftD_Schwinn_Dixie_tank_and_mounts_4.jpg
BftD_Schwinn_Dixie_tank_and_mounts_5.jpg

3. Finished the barn tin tank mounts.
BftD_Schwinn_Dixie_tank_and_mounts_6.jpg
BftD_Schwinn_Dixie_tank_and_mounts_7.jpg
BftD_Schwinn_Dixie_tank_and_mounts_8.jpg
BftD_Schwinn_Dixie_tank_and_mounts_9.jpg

Okay, after a number of false starts the past few days, I'm finally, FINALLY working on sandblasting everything today. I don't know if I'll get everything done today, but I'm going to do as much as I can.

And almost as quickly as I started, I had to stop, because the right-side right hand glove tore at the base of my thumb. No wonder my hand always stung when I pointed the nozzle towards whatever parts I held in my hand.
20210830_125322.jpg
20210830_125234.jpg
20210830_125244.jpg

The good news is there's another pair of intact gloves on the other side of the cabinet. The bad news is the grating is too open for small parts. I can do big stuff like the fork and frame, but small bits like the seat post clamp and nuts/bolts will fall down inside the cabinet.

So, I need to figure out how to get around this...

What says our tallyman @MattiThundrrr to this? Does no bloodshed count?
I'd say no, the glove protected him just enough to tie up the score. Imagine the carnage that could have occurred! (I honestly don't know if sandblasting is actually dangerous, but I want to win this!) I'm calling it 4-4, but will listen to any objection.

On the subject of the bike, @Bike from the Dead I'm really pulling for you to get it done. Want to see the Dream come to life!

I'd say no, the glove protected him just enough to tie up the score. Imagine the carnage that could have occurred! (I honestly don't know if sandblasting is actually dangerous, but I want to win this!) I'm calling it 4-4, but will listen to any objection.

On the subject of the bike, @Bike from the Dead I'm really pulling for you to get it done. Want to see the Dream come to life!
Oddly enough, I could feel the media hitting my hand the whole time, but luckily it didn't do the damage one might think it would. So yeah, I say this one doesn't count.

Thanks Matti! I'm making better progress sandblasting this time! Should I keep things at the pace I'm going, I should have everything ready for Dad to powder coat tomorrow. Took a while to figure out how to use the blasting cabinet properly, but I think I've got the method down.

The good news is there's another pair of intact gloves on the other side of the cabinet. The bad news is the grating is too open for small parts. I can do big stuff like the fork and frame, but small bits like the seat post clamp and nuts/bolts will fall down inside the cabinet.

So, I need to figure out how to get around this...
For any of the small parts that have a hole in them, just thread a piece of wire (coat hanger wire, etc.) through them and make a closed loop. For bolts or anything small that you can't hold with a wire, blast them over a pan or even a piece of sheet metal that will keep them from falling through if you drop it. That's a big cabinet so blocking part of the 'floor' with something solid will not be a problem. Something like a colander with holes is even better.

For any of the small parts that have a hole in them, just thread a piece of wire (coat hanger wire, etc.) through them and make a closed loop. For bolts or anything small that you can't hold with a wire, blast them over a pan or even a piece of sheet metal that will keep them from falling through if you drop it. That's a big cabinet so blocking part of the 'floor' with something solid will not be a problem. Something like a colander with holes is even better.
It's a bit late for me to try all that now but I'll definitely want to keep all that in mind for the near future. Thanks!

Ok, although I have managed to sandblasted most of my parts today, I'm completely worn out and ready to head home for the night. It's 8:30pm where I live, and I've been sandblasting since almost noon today. I don't know if powder coating will happen tomorrow, or later. I still haven't finished blasting the chain guard and fender braces, and I might've warped the tin tank mounts while blasting them. Plus, there are a few small dents in the chain guard I'd like to try and fix before I get everything powdered.

I made a great deal of progress today, but I'm not done yet. I should still be able to get this bike done in time, but I know time is running out.

Okay, I'm just now picking up where I left off yesterday (I was really worn out) and already there's another big last-minute problem: my dad tried to powder coat some stuff earlier today, and there's a blockage in his air lines! So, unless he can get it fixed this week, I might not be able to get this bike powder coated and finished in time. Granted, it's not the end of the world if that's the case, but I still want to get this bike done by the 6th.

Still, I'm going to keep on working like the powder coating problem will be solved soon. So that means fixing the tank mounts and the chain guard, soaking the kickstand in some Evaporust, and whatever else I can get done tonight.

Okay, I managed to fix the tank mounts, chain guard, and even touch up the front fender, but unfortunately, I'm kind of stuck as far as progress goes. I'm going to see what happens with the powder coating issue, then I'll go from there. There are a few things I can work on in the meantime, but I'm kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place at the moment.

Plus, it makes no sense to sandblast anything right now when I don't know how soon Dad will be able to powder coat everything. Everything I sandblasted yesterday is already starting to rust over again. So yeah, not quite sure how this is going to go...

Latest posts

Back