The Schwinn no one wanted

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks! I’m with you.

I think it’s so ugly it’s cool!

Ive got a number of bikes and for the most part, on those bikes, all the colors flow and even though they are well used and have plenty of patina, the bikes look pretty cool.

I had a ball throwing this thing together with very little invested in time or money. and sure, with some paint or some more money, the thing could definitely be more appealing to the eye like a build off bike…. but, there’s plenty of bikes like that.

this thing to me is the essence of rat rod: it’s about 70% authentic Schwinn….. 30% whatever I could grab that would work.

and work it does, and I ride it daily!

Another reason I decided to build this thing was, after the RRBO, I had an extra set of 24” wheels and decent tires.

It’s a “short putt” to bring this thing back to life.

The Rolumbiafast wheels I replaced with new, though rusty, are super cool and have black pinstripes on them.

The wheels on this pig are thrashed. Not original Schwinn either, I don’t think.

If they are, it doesn’t matter, no one would buy the thing anyway, so I’ll just put them in the scrap pile.

I put some tape on the spokes; I’d like to stay with the rattlecan spray bomb idea the previous owner put on their wheels. thinking of painting with metalcast paint to keep the pinstripes
View attachment 170053
Hey Jude, If you still have those 24"s, I could use them on a J.C. Higgins project i'm working on... Looking good so far... RaToN.. RaZiN...

man i wish i could find another Schwinn 24" frame for a decent price. i like stingray bikes, but 20" is waaay too small for my fat b__t. and 26" bikes look weird to me with a 'nanner seat.
I picked up a 24" J.C.Higgins Yard Art bike 2 yo at Iola car show for $35.00.. Haven't done much with it, but will do something with it this winter.. Have fun... Razin..

Done-ski!!!

Just rode it 7 miles to willow bay and back; works great!!!

In the end, I still highly doubt anyone wants this thing, BUT, it’s definitely a fully functional and usable bike, and I plan to use it!!!

Before n afters:View attachment 173507
View attachment 173508
View attachment 173509
View attachment 173510
View attachment 173511
View attachment 173512
View attachment 173513
View attachment 173515
This Typhoon looks totally .......!!! Nice job Jude.. Works for me... Razin...

On one of my truck load buys, my seller friend didn’t have change and I had $10 more than what we agreed on....

To make change, he gave me this sissy bar seat combo and some other odds and ends to make up for the $10 overpayment!!!
View attachment 170055
Are you gonna run the seat/sissybar combo on the bike?
It would be cool for sure.
If not would you consider selling them or even the sissybar?
Not trying to get them for $10 man. That was a deal!

Just discovered your build again. Very nice way to mix a bunch of parts laying around into a bicycle riding around. I love it that old bicycles get more life and use and enjoyment. My wife has always ridden with me and doesn't much care what I ride. Just as long as her bike doesn't hurt her in some way. Lately we have crossed to the dark side and ride a pair of 26" RAD City e bikes. Some of the most fun I've had in years. My opinion is your bike rocks, you did a great job.

IMG_8556-2.JPG

Grandpa Santa gifted this to a happy grandkiddo! Clean 63.

Latest posts

Back