The Screaming Rabbit -- Finished (new video)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been wanting to build a motorized bike for a while so here we go. My last build for the MBBO was powder coated and looked like it came straight off the floor at K-mart. This time I am going the opposite direction and keeping it crusty. Since I don't know anything about motorized bikes, I will be breaking all the rules and doing it my way. I will admit up front that my "big idea" might not be entirely possible, but I will be putting it to the test. As for the name, I am undecided between the Dragonfly-er or the Screaming Rabbit. I think it will become obvious why either name will work as I get into the drivetrain. Here is a taste.

Good luck to everybody! By entering, you've already won.

I have heard that rabbits only make noise as they die. I've run over a few throughout the years and sure enough its the only time I've ever heard them scream.
You may want to consider this as you pick one of the two names.....:21:
That is the only reason I am considering that name!

this build will be interesting to watch!!

Suicide rider,will be a crazy build.:crazy:
Live fast,die young & leave a good lookin corpse behind.;)
:dontmentionit:You don't need brakes.

Nice starting point! I'll be watching for sure. I kinda did this route a while back with the 56 briggs on a 43 CWC frame for Bonine. It was pretty fun working it all together. I have a few motorized bikes and the briggs is my favorite.

I like the parts collection and motor for Scweamin Wabbit.

First things first, I need to get a roller together. In the plan I had in my head I thought I would piece together the original fork with the business end of a monark springer that I picked up a while back. I had to do some flipping around but I was able to get it to work the way I had envisioned, but..... without the other half of the monark I have to balance limiting the action with making sure it doesn't fall apart. It looks good but it makes me a little nervous, especially on a motorized build.

I have a couple other springers to choose from but I am not sure about them either. Next option is this standard Schwinn knock off. Not only does it look kind of ordinary, I think it is off an Electra and it is the kind where the braces are welded to the fork just above the dropouts. At least with this one I wouldn't have to worry about it holding together.

Third up is the old Rat Trap. I don't see a lot of these used on motorized bikes, which makes me think there is probably a reason.

Any input is appreciated, but may also be ignored.:39:

Things are slow moving over here and with a week long visit to the in-laws on the horizon, it might be a while before I can get it motorized. I was able to remove all the decals from the frame and do a little Dremel work in order to get the rat trap to accept a bigger axle.

At least now I have a roller and will be able to figure out a level motor mount.

If you are really in doubt about your front fork, maybe something from a Moped would be better maybe keep the wheel and brake too?

I am heading out of town to the in-laws for a week so I have decided to wait on mounting the motor until I get back. In the mean time I found a slightly mangled Sears / Raleigh knock off at a police auction that I was able to pick up for 5 bucks. I really just wanted the pedals but I am cleaning up the grips too just in case. Unfortunately the pedal adapters are going to cost me triple what I paid for the bike but the pedals match the tires so well I feel compelled to use them.

I also mocked up these Elgin guards I picked up with a PeeWee replica in mind. Doesn't look like I am getting to that anytime soon so they are being considered for this build. IF, IF, IF I use them then I have to figure out whether to paint and patina them to "match the rusty chrome fender, or to do the fender as well.

Latest posts

Back