The Screaming Rabbit -- Finished (new video)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reminded me of this...
iu

Looks like Clint Howard
is getting blown around real good!

I am hoping my small engine buddy can make it over tomorrow night to see what else I am still missing and see if maybe we can get it running. :rockout: In the meantime I will be working on the patina and adding on a few tidbits. Up first is this self contained Campbell's light I picked up from the FS section of this forum about two years ago. It has been waiting for the right bike and I think this might be it, although I might swap it out if I can find or put together a big oversized tractor light. I also slapped on my sweet Screaming Rabbit head badge.

My buddy who knows a few things about motors came over and helped steer me straight on a few things. We got the top end of the throttle sorted out but I have to get a different clip to hold the bottom end in place. I still have the kill switch to deal with and that is the part I am least sure about. Buddy says I can hook the switch directly up to the plug just as long as I have it grounded. Sounded legit at the time but now I am not so sure. I am on my own figuring it out as he was running behind and I had to head out last night myself for a little racing. That is my 2 year old kicking tail against 3,4 and 5 year olds. :banana:

Last edited:
My buddy who knows a few things about motors came over and helped steer me straight on a few things. We got the top end of the throttle sorted out but I have to get a different clip to hold the bottom end in place. I still have the kill switch to deal with and that is the part I am least sure about. Buddy says I can hook the switch directly up to the plug just as long as I have it grounded. Sounded legit at the time but now I am not so sure. I am on my own figuring it out as he was running behind and I had to head out last night myself for a little racing. That is my 2 year old kicking tail against 3,4 and 5 year olds. :banana:
A kill switch on an old Briggs is easy, there is a wire running out from the magneto (under the flywheel) usually is clipped to the plate under the carb which also holds the throttle / governor controls. If you ground the wire the engine dies - no spark.

Plugging away here. I have the kill switch and the throttle figured out (I think), just need to get the right bend in the end of throttle cable and then it will be time to fire it up and see if she will hold together. If it works as I am hoping, all that is left is to give some of the parts a little age. In the meantime here are a few do-dads I picked up. First up is an early brass fire extinguisher I found in my Grandma's basement, cause you know "safety first". A few spot welds on a pair of clamps and I am all set.

Then yesterday I went to the EAA Fly-In and I picked this up. Should fit right in with this build.

I have everything hooked up but I am still having a little trouble with the throttle cable. I am hoping to get it sorted out on Thursday as I have the day off, but that doesn't leave me a lot of time if there are any problems. I have decided that I am going to take some pictures FIRST and then try to fire it up just in case there is a problem. I am confident that everything will go as planned with the possible exception of the connection points for the rack. That is definitely the weakest link. Worst case scenario the connection points don't hold and the whole motor comes shaking off the bike. Needless to say I will have my itchy finger on the kill switch when I try to start it for the first time.

Either way I will video the initial start up, and if it goes well the inaugural ride.

Time is starting to feel crunchy around here. I have a lot going on the next several weekends so I will be trying to get finished up before the deadline, hopefully. I got some paint on the rear rack and mounted it up. The rack also doubles as a motor mount so I figured I would try bolting the motor in place. The motor itself is B&S 5 horse but the cage and prop are off a Dragonfly air drive boat motor. One of my big worries was that the motor would be too heavy behind the rear axle and would cause unwanted wheelies. Not really a problem but I was prepared to fill the bars with bbs.

I ran into this guy in Michigan. Man did that bike move.

I ran into this guy in Michigan. Man did that bike move.

When I found the Dragonfly prop and cage, I immediately thought "I need to put this on a bike" and I did a little searching assuming that it must have been done before. I was able to find a handful of trikes on the net but no 2 wheelers. Probably because the trike is infinitely safer and easier to both build and ride. That, and my doubter friends, sealed the 2 wheel deal for me. I don't like to be told something can't (or shouldn't) be done.

When I found the Dragonfly prop and cage, I immediately thought "I need to put this on a bike" and I did a little searching assuming that it must have been done before. I was able to find a handful of trikes on the net but no 2 wheelers. Probably because the trike is infinitely safer and easier to both build and ride. That, and my doubter friends, sealed the 2 wheel deal for me. I don't like to be told something can't (or shouldn't) be done.
When I was younger I would get into trouble because my friends would say "that's impossible to do" or "nobody can do that". Well, I tried, got hurt, but I did it!! As for putting the props on a trike, I thought just the opposite. A trike rides ok in a straight line but as soon as you turn it, hold on for dear life. I figured you're doing it right with a two wheeler because you can actually lean the bike to keep balance. But you'll find out soon enough. If it works, i gotta see a video. This could be a new trend!!

Just catching up here. Wow, this looks very dangerous. :eek:

It didn't occur to me until you mentioned that you had seen three wheelers but never a two wheel bike why that would be. It's just a guess, but I'm thinking that between the centrifugal torque and the prop itself cutting through the air that it will be very difficult if not impossible to keep it balanced upright.

Pay up your insurance and proceed with caution!

I'm thinking a good helmet, and some knee pads will do it. Maybe test it out on some soft grass first. If all else fails, a cool little side car could keep it balanced and keep the basic two wheeled look. Either way, I'm just dumb enough to try riding it!! :crazy:

I appreciate your concern and it does not fall on deaf ears, but......

What if it works??? I have been thinking about this for some time and now I just need to know. Failure (without injury) is an acceptable outcome but that would probably lead to a redesign rather than calling it quits. I have been thinking about the tendency to lean left although I am not sure if it will lean left or right as my prop is pushing rather than pulling. My plan is to hit the throttle VERY slowly once rolling. I will definitely have a helmet and a video camera on.

Latest posts

Back