The Silver Straight Bar Special - FINISHED!! PICTURES AND VIDEO!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cool parts cool frame set and, oh heck its just cool!!!

Troy

A little update. Sanded off lots of the paint on the fender today.

I went looking for the Dremel tools I needed at my local hardware stores and of course, as usual, they didn't have the ones I wanted. So, I have had to order some online, should be here soon. Until then I can be getting on with lots more paint removal on the other parts.

Charlie :)

Last edited:
The wire brush Dremel tools are on the way in the post, should be here soon. Been doing yet more paint removal today. The fender is done and ready to be polished.

One little change is that I shall have to use another set of wheels, as the fork doesn't fit the Schwinn wheels. :( Which is annoying, as i thought they would be quite nice. The hubs are too wide, So I am going with these ones.

They are rather cool, Perry coaster. I'm thinking i'm going to spray the rims and spokes silver.. still having think on that one. I quite like the fat frank cream tyres too. May go with those or may stick with black, all depends on what looks best when the paint comes off the frame and forks. Its getting there! Slowly but surely! :cool:

I like the rims the way they are, but I'm a sucker for anything that looks rusty or aged.

Love the Perry hub and the Monark springer. What color scheme are you gonna use on the bike?

I like the rims the way they are, but I'm a sucker for anything that looks rusty or aged.

Yeah I like them too. I've been looking at them more today with the bare metal and liking the look. So thinking I may leave them just like that. Thanks!

Those rims look great with those tires just as they are... Love rust and cream...

Luke.

Look rusty eh! But it's paint, even the wheels. :) I'm liking the look of them, so might just leave them like that.

Love the Perry hub and the Monark springer. What color scheme are you gonna use on the bike?
Thanks Kingfish! I'm going for the bare metal look, but slightly polished, so it sparkles in the sun :D

The wire brush Dremel tools arrived so I set to work on giving the fender a polish...

And a super resin polish

Buffed and ready, just like the chain guard.

Time to work on the frame.

Man this is some tough paint! Still got the original red underneath and what looks like a light blue? Possible a spray over at some point.

Something quite satisfying about removing paint and going back to the bare metal!

Still got the Schwinn pattern. What do you think? Schwinn Spitfire maybe?

Managed to get about half off, so will have another go at it over the next few days. Coming along, bit by bit.

Charlie

thats gonna be tight. amazing how Tough that Schwinn paint is , musta been all the lead in it.. :rolleyes:
Thanks! Hopefully get a bit more done today, but it's raining buckets at the moments :rolleyes:

Oh the joys of paint removal ;) also ooks like one more for the bare metal builds:thumbsup: Bike is lookin killer!

It sure does take a lot of time to remove it all, but definitely worth it once its polished up. Hope to get more done on the frame today! Update and pics soon! Thanks :)

Update time. Lots more paint removed today. Did about 5 hrs worth and only got to just half way! :eek: Heat gun, scrape, heat gun, scrape, sand, scrape, sand, scrape heat gun, sand... Man it sure does take a long time to get through the years worth of hard paint. Anyway, hope to get more done tomorrow, then there is the fun of polishing it up! :D Then the forks. Hope you guys had a nice weekend and you're having fun building! Here is how the frame looks at the moment, not polished yet.

Latest posts

Back