The Silver Surfer - FINISHED! (BOTEN)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday I practiced doing some engine turning on the chain guard. This isn't the final look yet, I'm just trying to figure out the spacing of the circles and if the process I'm using is going to work or not. I like the look so far but I need to offset each row so the circles don't line up straight up and down and I also need to space them out further. I miss measured and made them too close to each other. Oh well, it was just a practice run and now I know it's going to work.

None of my mistakes look this good.

- by Gigmata

Cool chain guard great idea reminds me of the T-A dash board . that bikes got the 70s vibe for sure , I like it got one similar my self ![emoji106]
b38b2e8852a8f0c7016f5794ec78e7bd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the bare metal look on this bike too but I have a vision for it. It will still have some bare metal on it but that's for a later post. As for the cars, if I would have taken a picture facing the other direction you would have seen one of my old cars that fit the era.

Sweet! My dad had a '53 Chev two door. This one looks a little earlier? Again, I'm a noob at vintage cars as well....:eek:

Sweet! My dad had a '53 Chev two door. This one looks a little earlier? Again, I'm a noob at vintage cars as well....:eek:
Thanks. My car is a '54 Ford Customline. I am currently building a new engine for it, that is why the front end is jacked up in the picture.

I like the bare metal look on this bike too but I have a vision for it. It will still have some bare metal on it but that's for a later post. As for the cars, if I would have taken a picture facing the other direction you would have seen one of my old cars that fit the era.

Wow, sorry to be late but had to comment on they twin fin, she's
long and narrow for a twinny how does she go, would imagine she'd
be a bit scary in big waves?

Diggin on the bike as well, front sprocket, tank and rear fender win
me over!

Wow, sorry to be late but had to comment on they twin fin, she's
long and narrow for a twinny how does she go, would imagine she'd
be a bit scary in big waves?

Diggin on the bike as well, front sprocket, tank and rear fender win
me over!

The board cuts fast, sometimes too fast. I'm 6'2" so this board needs a fairly fast and big wave to keep it moving. The older I get the more I'm liking long boards. Just some slow cruisin' waves is good for me.

I'm in the boring stage of building right now. Grinding off chrome and priming parts. I haven't been posting pix lately because I'm sure you all know what primered parts look like, but here's some progress pix.

First, I have to do something with these spokes and chrome wheels. I want painted wheels and the spokes are in bad shape.

Now those are some ugly spokes!!

Next, I de-spoked the wheels, grinded all the chrome off and primed them. Then I took the crappy spokes to the wire wheel on my bench grinder and cleaned them like new. Here's what I started with.

After 3 hours of sitting in front of this thing, :crazy:

I had like new spokes again!! :rockout:

Nice ride!
Thanks Kevin. My Great Grandma bought that car new when she was 70. She was 4 foot 11 and had a lead foot. My dad bought it off her in about 1980 then I got it from my dad in 2010. It will always stay in the family. Except for the ugly wheels, someone stole 2 of the originals, the car is still all original, the top, the interior, the cracked and faded lacquer paint and it still has the original unused bias ply spare tire with original 1972 air still in it. :21:

I just looked at the calendar and I'm running out of time. So this weekend I took some time and got a few pieces painted. The rims, sissy bar and some smaller parts are done. Well, not so much on the wheels. They started off chrome and I got a little aggressive with the grinder removing the chrome. I smoothed them pretty well but even after priming and sanding a few times, then painting them, the silver shows all the flaws. What better way to hid the ruff wheels? Metal flake them! So, yesterday I started the long process of metal flaking. In the middle of finishing up the first rim, a monsoon came blowing thru and since I'm painting on the back porch, I had to pack up for the day. I should finish up that rim tonight and I'll get some pix for tomorrow. Anyway, I'm getting closer to putting this together.

In Primer.

A few pieces painted and cleared.

I surprised myself with painting the spokes this way. It worked perfectly and all the spokes are completely painted and cleared.

I am slowly turning into the Silver Surfer!!

Holly spokes , that looked like a lot of detailed work !!!![emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, these stupid wheels are taking longer than expected but I'm liking the finished product. I got all the metal flake on one rim last night. Put about 8 coats of clear on it and have about another 10-12 more to go. I'm not going for a super smooth look on the rims, kind of like a gold nugget look, I want the flakes to be somewhat bumpy for reasons I'll show later. So here's the first rim, minus the final clear coats.

This was only after the first coat of clear.

This has about 8 coats.

As you can see, The flakes are picking up the colored lights perfectly. Which is why I'm doing the rims like this. It might have something to do with lights up under the fenders that with reflect off the wheels.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back