The Silver Surfer - FINISHED! (BOTEN)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You won't need reflectors on that bike . Disco tech technology!!!!
7de3c82b1eed9978408d2403235cc8aa.jpg
love it bringing back the 70s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Normally if I do metal flake it would be smooth like this picture, (I didn't paint that truck I just love the looks of it) I'm trying something different for this build. If it doesn't work the way I think, oh well, I can always buy new wheels and start over.

This is getting fun!

Looking forward to see if you put lighting under the fenders,should make for a cool night shot.

What kind of metal flake paint did you use? I did a metal flake paint on my BO8 bike but it was very prone to chipping.
I don't use metal flake paint. I use a paint gun with a 2.0 tip and I just dump some flake in with my clear coat, if you're using silver you can actually use glitter it's much cheaper, but to add the texture to rim, after spraying the glitter, clear mixture on I also sprinkled more flake directly on to the wet clear. Once I had enough flake to cover the rim I just put about 8 to 10 more coats of clear over it all and let it dry for a couple days before lacing.

All laced and trued up. This was the first time I ever laced a wheel before and about half way thru the job I almost went to ebay and just bought some already finished wheels! :mad: I think my main problem is I should have learned on a 36 spoked rim. But being a radial spoked wheel, instead of the usual cross spoked ones, it ended out being fairly easy.

One down, one to go! :crazy:

Looks sweet you sure it's your first time [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Worked on the surfboard this weekend. This stick has seen better days.

Removing the old wax.

Patching some holes and cracks.

I for some reason have a bad habit of breaking the tip off my boards, so I'll need to re-glass this.

Last edited:
Looking back at some older mock up pix, I really like the way the bare metal frame shines. So after going back to the drawing board, I decided that I need to keep the shiny bare metal look. I'm still going to do some engine turning on the frame, fenders and chain guard though.

Getting ready to make the frame shiny again. Then adding some engine turning and clear coat.

Last edited:
Next, I needed to measure out for the circles. I just measured the width of my bit, it was just over 3/4 of an inch, then I subtracted about 3/16th off so the circles slightly overlap. I used a compass to make every mark exact.

Then, following the top edge of the chain guard I started making circles. As you can see, I drew a line thru the center of the circles because that is where I'll put the tops of the next row so they will overlap by half of each circle.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back